Ancient River Found Flowing Beneath Toronto

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Sep 19, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    This is really cool. I wonder what other kind of discoveries can be made through this?

story here
  2. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Gives new meaning to "A River Runs Through It." This may explain Mel Latchman's cold demeaner. But really, I remember stories of such a phenomonon growing up, I always chucked it up to fable, but now it's real. Yahoo!! Tases like Iron? Does that mean is smells like blood??

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Cool, now if only they can make a hole big enough so we can go rafting in the pitch dark ;)
  4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Makes you wonder what else is hidden beneath our noses.
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Very cool stuff - and its good to know that they're not going to use it (yet). If it dried up or shrank it could cause some issues with ground stability.

I'd wager that there will be a few other underground rivers feeding the Great Lakes and others up north that we don't know about....

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    Damn maybe I should take a bike ride through High Park and see what's up... There is nothing about this on (T.O. news), but since it's a report from Reuters I guess it's true! The core of the city has the Don Valley river on the east, the Humber River on the West side, Lake Ontario on the south, and now one underground... Even though it does sound like we have more water than Venice, the rivers and lake make for some fantasitic parks and beaches. No tour boats required! :D

Mel is seen as cold? Well some people would say he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I don't think many would call him cold.
    In fact he might be smarter than people give him credit for; there is a conspiracy theory out there that Lastman made that stupid remark about Africa to sabbotage the olympic bid. Since olympic events rarely break even (for the government sponsor) and he already had the "city improvement" money guaranteed from the government. So in killing Toronto's chances for the olympics, he got 2.5billion or so for improvements, and didn't shell out a dime for the olympics.

Just some useless Toronto triva for you!

*Edit* BTW I just talked with a friend of mine in the MOE (Ministry of the Environment) and she verified that the story is true. */Edit*