Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
rare? medium? well done? no im not talking about your new york strip, im talking about your dock!

what size do you like it? crowded or simple? screenfillingly large or very tiny?

do you use magnification?

do you use the show/hide feature?

left? bottom? right?

let the world know of your dock!

tastic

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Mine takes up nearly the entire width of my screen, I use magnification, it is hidden, on the bottom and the icons are fairly big.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
At work (17" ACD) fairly small icons, no magnification, at the bottom, centered.

At home (20" ACD, widescreen), on the right side, small icons, no magnification, and pinned to the top corner.

I used to have my dock at home at the bottom out of habit (I kept the tear-off Application menu in the bottom right corner, horizontally, even back in the pre-X days), but I was aware that it made drastically more sense to have it on the side of a widescreen monitor and so very recently (just a couple months ago) I finally forced myself to deal with it on the side and I think I've finally adjusted. The right side logically made more sense, since there's less over there on the menu (also, my TV acts as a generally-invisible 2nd monitor on the right side to match it's physical position, so I would have had to rearrange that to put the Dock there).

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
heh, i forgot to post mine!

well mine is pretty standard, i have a 15" screen, so it's rather small and with only slight magnification. OS X default position.

tastic

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Right side, Start Position (Tinker Tool), Transparent (ClearDock), Transparent Icons for hidden applications (TinkerTool or Terminal), Small (about 10% of the slider?), No magnification, No hiding.

Did a cleanup after installing QuickSilver, and now I have almost no items in it. As you can see on my Desktop, or a closer look in the Post your Dock!-thread. :)

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
In permanent exile to /Applications/Disabled/Annoying/DockStuff.

Hate the damn thing and will never use it.

(It runs briefly, by necessity, after each logon, to initialize the Finder. But the last item among my Logon Items tells the Dock to go #$$#!@ itself, and because it is not in CoreServices it doesn't do a Lazarus — it stays dead)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Transparent dock for:

no dock border, no dock background so icons "float"
have it pinned to the top with auto hide on

Use one extra mouse button as shortcut for turn on/off dock hiding, and it makes my workflow 5x faster cuz im not running into the dock on the left/right or bottom of the screen in FCP etc. At the top if only shows up if u mouse over the 1 pixel thin line between the menu bar and the desktop.

SWEET

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
It may look like nothing special, but I've spent a lot of time getting it perfect. The magnification isn't too intense, the size is perfect. I don't know why, but I find it hard to use OS X when the Dock isn't setup to my exact requirements.

My pet peeve is Docks that have had System Preferences removed :mad:

Geeks and OCD don't mix :eek:

Attachments

• Dock.png
    Dock.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 97

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Smallest setting, on both iBook/External monitor at the bottom, with genie effect, and animation to open.

However it is very organised with sections, ie finder/iLife/dtp/wordprocessing/image/font/other stuff/system prefs, with there being a gap in between each of these groups ;)

::20ROGERSC::

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I prefer mine to be set to the smallest size and positioned on the right. No hiding, but I do use the magnification. As far as what goes in it, I restrict it to commonly used apps. I use Spotlight for apps that I use infrequently.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
My dock is medium with medium magnification, on the bottom, no hiding, with 20 app icons, 5 icons right of the separator (including the Trash). That's on my PowerBook. On my Power Mac, I have more applications in the dock, and I have magnification turned off.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Makosuke said:
...I used to have my dock at home at the bottom out of habit (I kept the tear-off Application menu in the bottom right corner, horizontally, even back in the pre-X days), but I was aware that it made drastically more sense to have it on the side of a widescreen monitor ...

Convince me.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
My pet peeve is Docks that have had System Preferences removed :mad:

Geeks and OCD don't mix :eek:
Whats the deal with the System Preferences? My dock is incredibly minimalistic. Only the most used apps are there, smallest setting, no magnification. But all that is just to clean up the screen, not totally necessary.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
ooooh

LOL i can't get Ken and Kenneth (the tailors from the Fast Show) out of my head now

mine is on the bottom, always visible, smallish as only have 12 inch PB, with slight magnification.

ooooh, suit you sir

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
tobefirst said:
Convince me.
Not sure I can, but my logic:

Being that the monitor is widescreen, I have 1050 vertical pixels, and 1680 horizontal ones. 22 pixels go to the menubar, leaving 1028 vertical pixels to use. Since I like to keep my Dock somewhere in the 40 pixel size range, that leaves me with around 990 useable vertical pixels if the Dock is at the bottom.

This is important because vertical screen real estate is at far more of a premium than horizontal the way I use my computer; the most commonly used things for me are web pages, long HTML documents, text files, and watching videos in a window. None of these things are horizontally limited; all three text formats I keep at between 700 and 1000 pixels wide, depending on the font size, because that's about the comfortable length of a line of text before it gets hard to read. Vertical space, however, is always better, since I can read more without scrolling.

In fact, even with the dock on the left I can still comfortably keep two windows side by side with 5% extra vertical space in both windows, which is an all-around win.

And, in the case of movies, they're almost always 4:3 width:height and I don't usually watch fullscreen; that means that if my dock is on the side, I have 1028X1640 to work with, instead of 988X1680. Since the video is around 4:3, I get 1028X1370 instead of 988X1317 (and in reality, since the QT Player controller is at the bottom, it's even more pronounced than this). Of course, I generally watch them at about double size, so the position of the dock doesn't matter much at all either way.

Furthermore, I don't have 1680 pixels worth of icons in my Dock, ever. In fact, worst case I rarely have more than about 900px worth; that means that I'm wasting a big chunk of space to the left and right of my Dock when it's at the bottom, since that space can't really be used by much.

Finally, some old, badly behaved applications like to open windows that don't respect the Dock. These are no longer an issue, as I can get to resize corner at the bottom of the screen and they rarely open anything all the way to the right (and even if they did, since the dock doesn't go all the way to the bottom right corner, I can still get to the resize thingy).

In all, there are a list of small but real reasons that on a widescreen monitor vertical space is at a premium, so it just makes more sense to have the Dock on the side. It still took a while to readjust to it, but now that I have it's worth it.

[Edit: Extra bonus I just realized: By having windows go all the way to the bottom of the screen, I can take advantage of Fitts Law when reaching for resize corners; with the Dock below them, if I miss I end up launching an unintended app. Even on a miss now, I'd just click the desktop.]

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I like mine medium size, on the right, no mag or autohide. Its super streamlined, just the stuff I use everyday or have running most of the time anyway. Anything else I find with spotlight! I know this is not a "post your dock" but just to get the sense:

Also a side dock convert with my widescreen PB.

Attachments

• Dock.png
    Dock.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 90

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Makosuke said:
Not sure I can, but my logic:
Furthermore, I don't have 1680 pixels worth of icons in my Dock, ever. In fact, worst case I rarely have more than about 900px worth; that means that I'm wasting a big chunk of space to the left and right of my Dock when it's at the bottom, since that space can't really be used by much.
Very well put in general, all of your points making sense.
Unless you have tons of icons in your dock (or like the icons huge), having it on the bottom of a wide-aspect screen wastes the bottom-left and right corners (say 40x400=0.16 megapixels). Say you hide it, going to the bottom to re-size a window (as almost all OS X windows are), you are most likely going to set the dock to spring open, coving the re-size tab and probably launching an unwanted app.
I have both my Macs set up with the dock on the left and auto-hidden, have done for years. Very slight magnification and usually coving 80-90% of the height. Like the previous poster said, once you have got used to it like this, it's impossible to go back.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Before switching to Tiger, I had about 50 applications down there, so my dock was tiny tiny. Now in Tiger, I just have it with the default applications, at the default size except that I added Word and MSN.

I now just use spotlight for everything. It may be 2 seconds slower, but I like having my dock look so neat and tidy like this.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
5mm Dock .plist
It ends up as a gray box on the bottom, with black icons (because they're so small).

On my other account, left, minimum magnification, minimum icon size.
(no dock .plist tweaking)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I hide mine at the bottom of my screen with magnification on. I only put my most used apps their.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 91

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I keep mine of the left (I dunno why left, rather than right. just seems more comfy) and I have it stretch to go from corner to corner. Magnification depends on how many apps are in it; currently, it's off, as I finished school and don't need Office icons and such cluttering it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.