And Our Jobs are Outsourced there????

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sparky's, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=qw1079773924108B235&set_id=1

I'm not sure I want my "Help Desk" in a country like this.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Ummmmmmmmmmm. Wow. I really hope they have a different common meaning of "husband" than the expressly romantic version we have... In a country with arranged marriages, this might not be so weird. Then again, it might.

paul

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

The bit at the end of the article was the weirdest part.

"Last June, a nine-year-old Indian girl was married to a dog near Calcutta after a priest told her parents the wedding would ward off evil."

But hey jobs are out sourced there as part of capitalism, they in the developing countries make goods cheaply, so that we can buy them cheaply.
    Obviously nothing strange happens in your neck of the woods.

Did anyone say Jerry Lee Lewis?

4. Sparky's thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I guess what I consider strange is when I'm at a stop sign and someone approaching from my left (with no stop sign) slows down and stops and waves me on. Don't ask why but that pi**es me off more than anything, well almost anything. I could go on and on, but hey! When you live in a country where someone tries to pass a million dollar bill.... I guess it all gets sorted out in the end.

And this just in, well in anyway:
    So my neck of the woods has its weird stuff also....

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Yeah, before us in the US go off talking about the weirdos in other countries, we should take a look at our country too. PETA is a good example of the weirdness of America. Michael Jackson is another example.

as for PETA's complaint about Hamburg, if they were to call it Veggiburg, it would conjure up the images of poor, helpless vegetables being painfully ground up into fake patties... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It seems weird and in some ways is but its a great way for him to support his grandmother in her dotage and to get the best claim on inheritance. This is what the people who want gay marriage want to be able to do.

Its not like they are going to have kids. Like the marriage with the dog I doubt either one would be consummated.

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

That sounds like a racist remark to me.
    You can't judge an entire culture and race on the actions of a few.

Anyways, what he did was illegal!

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

How is that a racist remark? He was making a statement. That wasn't racist :rolleyes:

9. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

He was judging an entire country and all Indian people based on the action on this one guy.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, his statement may have been prejudice, but not racist. There is a huge difference between the two.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Is it? Why, I never knew. I thought it was about romantic love, legal protection, and childrearing, not about platonic support... But I guess you'd know more about it than me.

paul

12. Sparky's thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Are you that up on Indian law???

As usual taken out of context. What I was referring to was that in a country that allows this kind of thing to happen (and yes I have to assume the whole culture here) I think it is against my values and what my countries morals are. Not racist, Not prejudice, I just don't agree with it. My thoughts of the outsourcing thing, the referral was that in a culture that cares for (again my opinion) things such as this I don't want them handling my credit card accounts or Insurance claims, or anything else that may require someone to make certain moral or judgmental decisions on my behalf.

My opinion, and right to voice it.
    Thanks

13. spookz macrumors member

which is? in my book, prejudiced or racist attitudes have more similarities than differences. discrimination, in whatever form, is a result of either one of the two attitudes. in sparky's case, he rather not hire indians due to a single instance of some nut marrying granma.

so ahh...carry on being an apologist for really crappy "statements"
    :)

14. wwworry macrumors regular

it must be all the homosexuals getting married over there that led to that.

15. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

If you actually read the article, then you will see that it says it is illegal.
    Did you even read the article before you posted it??

Have you even been to India?
    Do you actually believe everyone in the country would condone such things?
    Does the whole country hold the same cultural values?
    Do you even know?

The KKK has a right to voice their opinions too! :rolleyes:

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm not sure I want my computer to be sold to me by someone in a country which bombs and invades other countries illegally when the mood takes it, carries out judicial murder, incarcerates people without charge for two years, rapes the environment on a grand scale, exploits foreign workers, exonerates its chemical companies when they destroy 20,000 people through culpable negligence.....but I guess I will when my Cube is too old.

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

well said.

Maybe we should write a letter to apple encouraging them to leave the sinking ship that is the U S of Arse and come to Europe so we can finally get computers at decent prices. O hold on, we're just as bad, bugger, maybe they should go to the moon?