And Shortly, For Your Viewing Pleasure...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 14, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.counterpunch.org/block05132006.html

more...

2. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

...more

Could be a good show.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Watergate II: The Sequel! :D

Well, if there's much truth to this at all, that should end the careers of a lot of Republican congressmen, at the next election if not before. Republican voters will tolerate lying, tax evasion, wiretapping, election fraud and constitutional violations from their representatives, but they will simply not tolerate sex.

Y'know, maybe the Dems won't have to work that hard to win the upcoming election after all. :p

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was a lot of puns. She should start posting here, she'd fit right in. And I don't know about the sex scandal thing. I mean, a lot of the people going after Clinton were guilty of the same or worse.

Oh yeah, and falafel.

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I really enjoyed this! :D

Forwarded to NPR/WAMU with hope that they'll cover it.

6. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Week Old News Story

This one's been floating around a while now. The only thing surprising about this is that it's the FIRST TIME a defense contractor has been caught bribing this many members of congress w/ hookers.

I'd yawn, but it's too much effort.
    "I'm shocked! Shocked, I say, to learn that there is gambling going on in this establishment!"

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Claude Rains, "Casablanca". :)

The next two lines sound very much like our Congress now:

Croupier (handing Rains chips): "Your winnings, sir."
    Rains: "Oh, thank you very much."

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks to me like the Prostitutes of sex were doing the Prostitutes of Govt? Birds of a feather love to flock together:D

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sure is different, now, in D.C. Used to be, power was its own aphrodisiac. It was hard for a prosti to make a living, given the competition from all the amateur talent that was available and willing.

Topic drift: GIs used to like to go to D.C. on pass. A healthy guy in good shape did pretty well with the gals, who otherwise had to choose among flabby office workers or those Old Guys that mostly smelled like cockroaches.

:), 'Rat

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

From the article:
    Seems as good a reason as any.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Could be, could well be. Hey, it's pretty much a given that Democrats are a lot more fun to party with than Republicans. The 'Pubes aren't much better than a bunch of engineers...

About the only drawback to living in Terlingua is not doing the Scholz Garden thing, drinking beer and arguing with Molly Ivins, Jim Hightower or Ann Richards. :) Smart folks, good people, and whether or not we agreed wasn't all that important. Although we could always find some agreement in our views of the Texas lege. :D

'Rat

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, there is this...

;)

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, Marfa's up there in mile-high country. It doesn't get hot, there.

We hit around 108, Saturday, but yesterday it topped at 85. Had to wear a sweater. :) About 87, today. Cold weather aggravates my arthritis.

Nice to live in a house that doesn't need a heating system in "winter", though, beyond a couple of burners on the kitchen stove plus an hour or so of a little electric space heater sometimes. With the rate increase, my electric bill during the summer cooling season is around $65/month, and 200 gallons of propane lasts a year.

So, all in all, it's not all that hard to wander into Austintatious and see who's partying. The thing is, though, there's almost always some partying going on right here.

:), 'Rat

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, there are plenty of horny, drunken, druggy, pervert Dems out there, but I suspect it has more to do with repression. I remember reading (and hearing) several stories like this about what happens when those oh-so-moral politicians come into town. That's the part that really bugs me about this, is the hypocrisy of it. The same people who rag against Clinton for doing it, do it themselves. Look at O'Reilly (falafel). Not saying I was happy about what Clinton did, but again, it was the lie more than the act. Be like Kennedy telling people not to drink, then taking a big ol' swig.

Or, you know, Limbaugh and the drug abuse.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

:) Back when we had a totally Democratic Party-controlled legislature, we had a young State Representative named Ben Barnes. He became the youngest-ever Speaker of the House. He went on to become Lt. Gov, said position being the controller of the State Senate.

His local nickname was "Bedroom Ben". I always figured he was a mentor for Slick Willie--and not just in the bedroom. :)

Ben was the one whose financial shenanigans wrecked both him and John Connally, into bankruptcy.

They're everywhere...

'Rat

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thing is, these Republicans apparently can't find their own women to cheat with, so they're supplied by lobbyists and contractors.

Look at Bill Clinton. He got it on with an intern. He found his own woman.

Apparently when it comes to illicit sex, Democrats are the "can-do" people, and Republicans are the welfare state. :D

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

I don't smell like cockroaches and I'm only 34, so I guess I'm the former. ;)