And so it begins: S. Dakota Senate votes to ban nearly all abortions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that didn't take long, did it? [​IMG] Wonder how long this will take to work its way up to the Supreme Court?

Link

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Just remember all those folks who wouldn't vote to fillibuster Alito when the case is being decided by four movement conservatives (Alito, Scalia, Thomas, and Roberts) and one shaky vote (Kennedy.) If Stevens retires Roe is gone for sure, but it may go even if he doesn't.

3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

The American People simply won't stand for it. If things get too conservative, you'll notice a sea change almost immediately.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, we'll see about that. It'll definitely be one more way to divide Americans. If RvW is overturned, it would mean that states have the right to decide if abortions are lawful. That would mean an even greater divide between red vs blue states and I don't think that would be very helpful at this point in time.

Secession anyone?

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

hmm...A Democrat sponsored the bill, huh?

Guess the ghost of Daschle still haunts SD.

I am pretty sure if this reaches the SCOTUS, that it will be struck down - the odds are still in favor of the status quo on this issue.

Interesting times, nonetheless...

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People are still in support of Roe v. Wade, even more if you add incest and rape. This will be as popular as the school board that voted for ID, and remember what happened to them. The neocons are already on the ropes, at this point they're just pushing their luck. Maybe they're afraid they don't have much time left before the pendulum swings the opposite direction. You want to lessen abortions, it's going to come from social change, not new laws. This is only going to make things worse, and the alternative to safe, legal abortions is unthinkable.

We've become to comfortable with how things are for most of us. A few years back to the way things were before and it'll go immediately back to being legal. And it'll be a long time before it's even brought up again.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

It would also mean a bigger divide between the big city urban people and the rural people. States would start to divide even further. Just look at Washington State last year.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't underestimate the right. And I would be more than happy to let Jesusland secede.

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, I think we'd be the ones seceding. After all, they pretty much run the entire show now. They are England. We are the Colonies.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Whatever- don't care as long as we can be rid of their simple-minded foolishness. You know- I used to really respect others' beliefs. Then these people came along.

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, we could always start our own militia, it is our right. Although, we may meet the same fate as Waco. Let's jsut hope we're all not as wacko. (oooh, bad joke, I know).

My stance on abortion: I have no stance. It doesn't affect/effect me. I have no idea where to stand on it, so I have no opinion on it. You do it, don't do it, support it, don't support it, I don't care. And it's not because it's something I don't agree with or want to be concerned about. It's just that I'm not a woman, and it's not liek it's done with a coat hanger in an alley anymore... Eck. I don't know.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The same can be said for Oregon and California. I think it's also relevant that Canada is experiencing the same issues. Alberta is virtually its own country, Vancouver is far removed from Toronto and there's always Quebec. Catalonia in Spain, Scotland and Wales, The Balkans, Iraq...

I wonder if the future holds a whole bunch of little states bound together within some larger confederation.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm all for it. What should we call the new country?;)

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Things have already gotten too conservative, though.

Another blow to human rights. Ugh. Hopefully you're right and things'll turn around.

e

15. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

16. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

They just need to sterilize handicaped people and re-instate segregation and I think they'll be done.

:rolleyes:

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Is that just a gut feeling, or is there any recent polling data to back that up? I'm not convinced that America is as pro-choice as you are.

18. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

BWAHAHAH! That's what a lot of folks thought too, right up until the last presidential election... and then the chimp won, by a convincing margin, with a deliberate tactic of hewing sharply to the right, and being "in your face" anti-liberal, proudly fascist... used to be conservative candidates would try to mask themselves and pass as moderates to win... now, it is accepted that you need to emphasize just how conservative you are... both demos and repubs do it... god, even hillary clinton takes right-wing positions whenever she can, lol... sad times.

If anyone needed any proof the U.S. is sliding toward theocracy, they had all of chimps first term to amply observe... yet, in face of that disaster, on top of corruption, an illegal war, curtailment of personal liberty, torture and gitmo... and with all this... THE AMERICAN PEOPLE FREELY RE-ELECTED the scumbag.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd not heard that.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nor had I, though I do wonder how many of our Constitutional rights would survive a "vote of the people."

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You got me -- opinion, not fact.

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

The most recent CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll, asking a simple yes or no question as to whether or not RvW should be overturned, reveals a large majority of Americans who are pro-choice:

66% no
    25% yes
    9% not sure (come on, make up your ****ing minds already)

Link

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Which is why the right-wingers stacked the Supreme Court. They know they can't win in a vote. Hmm...I guess "judicial activism" is OK when they get the decisions they want.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

To all the talk of secession - as I am sure you all remember from the 2004 election - the red/blue divide insofar as it exists is more urban/rural than state by state.

That would be a pretty complicated secession.

A city-state/regional confederation with Federal-level government providing only large services, such as defense is not out of the question - though not anytime soon, I would imagine. The economic and social realities are there, however.

So when's the Federal intervention in SD? Oregon got it with it's medical marijuana and assisted-suicide laws...where's the consistency?

25. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There is always polling going on about this question, and like any poll it depends on how the question is asked. However, when asked about support for Roe v. Wade, Americans consistently support the decision and reject the idea of overturning it. Check out these numbers from January, because your gut is wrong.
    Polling Report
    It's when one asks about specific restrictions that it becomes murkier.

edit: nevermind, aquajet types faster than I do.