And the best mannered city is...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by applemacdude, Jan 19, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

[sarcasm]Aw man, you Boston isn't the gosh-darn friendliest city on the planet?[/sacasm]

3. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Replace Boston with New York...

4. johnnowak macrumors 6502

New York is very friendly. Not very well mannered, no, but everyone here just about is quite kind.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not at all surprised that Charleston, S.C., Tops Best-Mannered List. It's good to hear that Southern Hospitality is still alive and well. Also noteworthy that Omaha Council Bluffs area was number 5. I lived there for 10 years, found it to be a great place to live.

6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

See, people in thoes places now will try to be even more friendly and the local news will premote and show the hell out of it. If their news is any thing like it is here in SLC. So if they rated New York, LA and some other cities the best then maybe people would try harder to have better manners. :p

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think Provo, Utah is more well-manered. Maybe even a little too nice...

P-Worm

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

How could it be anything else. After all it is the home of the Osmond Family.

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

In Utah, we call it Happy Valley.

P-Worm

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Hey, NYC made the top ten anyway. That's more than I can say for the Orlando area. :D

I remember Philly being named the most unfriendly city in the U.S. one year while I was living there and the next year, it was voted the most friendly. :D

11. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Having lived in Salt Lake City, I would say SLC.

As for the world, its a toss up between Salzburg and Sydney. :)

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've been to NY at least 10 times, and hated it every time. The city is pretty cool, but interacting with people sucked; from the airport to downtown. They were not kind at all, unless they were kindly telling me to f off.

Boston is such a nicer place :D (take it from a Bostonian.) You gotta love that East Coast chaam ;) (charm.)

EDIT: And before people start jumping all over me, no this has nothing to do with Red Sox vs Yankees - I couldn't give a rats rear end about baseball.

13. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

Surely you exaggerate ever so slightly.

"I've been to NY at least 10 times, and hated it every time. The city is pretty cool, but interacting with people sucked; from the airport to downtown. They were not kind at all, unless they were kindly telling me to f off."

I lived in NY most of my life and never encountered the frequency of BS you described. It's comments like this that give NYC a bad name, needlessly.

No, NYers do not have the patience of others. No, we do not like to have friendly chit-chats with strangers -- usually, altho it does happen. No, no one obeys traffic laws. But I've never had a day where all I encountered was "f--- off" either.

If I need to know how to get somewhere or know the time or whatever, people have usually been more than adequately helpful. The only people who are consistently nasty are the MTA workers. And I suspect that that's because they have union jobs, and feel that they can get away with murder -- and usually, they do.

We NYers are not uncivilized to strangers, just cautious. Oh there are the few knuckleheads, sure. But not the amount or degree you described.