And the Democratic ticket for 2008 is...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...well, what do you think?

Sure it's early, but it's fun to speculate, because we're already seeing so many names being bandied around.

Personally, much as I'd like to see somebody like Obama on the ticket, I'm thinking that Clinton (Hillary, that is) has so much backing that it'll be a surprise if she's not the one to run for prez.

One guy who was rumored to be a front-runner for 2008 was John Edwards, and while I don't think he could outrun Hillary, he still was considered by many to be the better part of the '04 ticket. With his southern connection, I think he'd make a pretty good VP nominee again.

I don't think Kerry or Gore should give it another go.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I for one don't want to have to ever look at chirpy, dumb-ass Edwards ever again. Ugh.

Whoever the candidate is, I hope it's a good one. We're going to need it.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the dems had VA governer tim kaine give the response to the SOTU this year. shall we read anything into that?

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

From my side of the pond all signs are pointing towards Hillary.

Why will you need it? I thought GW's ratings were going downwards, even amongst the GOP - or am I misreading it?

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Probably not, but his predecessor Mark Warner is thought to be a prospect.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Right, but Bush isn't running. The Republican Machine is running whatever candidate they choose to run. I agree that Bush's unpopularity helps (we'll see later this year) but the next presidential election is a long time away. Anything can happen by then, such as a surge of nationalistic support when we invade Iran.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't read too much onto these signs. It's far too early to handicap this race.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

But couldn't raising both of their profiles help illustrate the idea of why Warner is a great candidate?

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Could be, but I think the general strategy in these events is to highlight up-and-comers within the party, not to mention recent electoral successes.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm less interested in the ticket and more interested in the platform. The impression I'm getting is that whoever runs (probably Hillary/unamed) is going to run on "I love God, I hate terrorists, I'm for the War".

This is completely bass-ackwards, IMO, but I think that's how it's going to play out. The Republicans already have this line covered, and can do it better. The Dems will run a me-too campaign, and lose to the originals.

Four more years for the Republicans to mess up the country. It might be a better question to ask who we think is going to run on the Republican ticket. McCain, anyone?

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The party machine hates McCain. I don't think he will get the nod unless the Republican Party is forced to rethink its orientation, say by a significant loss in seats this year.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I dunno. I didn't see it myself, and Kaine may be a great guy for all I know, but the general consensus seemed to be that Kaine's talk was weak and boring.

Didn't help Kerry much, though.

Maybe. But Bill Clinton's biggest talent* was his ability to grab conservative issues and make them his own. Perhaps Hillary can do the same thing. She's a very smart woman.

* All right, then, his biggest political talent. ;)

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Helps who :confused:

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Democrats to get elected. I would have thought that was obvious given the context of the thread.

15. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

No... He was sacrified by the dems. They had to pick someone that could give a boring talk without hurting future elections. There isn't much of a point in rebutting Bush this year. Therefore they chose to play it safe. If it was a major election year (pres), we would have seen heavy hitters.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I wouldn't say sacrificed. I think he was supposed to start laying the groundwork for getting across the idea that Democrats are (or can be) moderate, religious, and committed to service. But you're right that he's not a heavy hitter and this isn't presidential campaign time.

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I maintain that the democratic nominee should not and cannot be Hillary and if it is we will lose another 4 years.

If Hillary were the nominee it would re-unite many of the fractured conservative base who have started to question Bush, let's not forget that "Clinton" is a dirty word in these circles even though Bush has managed to push them away from the GOP a Clinton running for office will have most running back.

I also know of many Democrats who just don't like the woman. She is very intelligent but many perceive her as a b**ch and we've proven that the elections are all about image rather than substance.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

America wont elect Hillary for president, though she could make a very compelling vp candidate. The democrats need to find a popular governor to run or get gore to try again. Also the democrats need to find the american worker and get off the goofy special interests that have run off a majority of voters. Otherwise its more republicans.:rolleyes:

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I agree. The Democrats need to rediscover the embattled American working class if they're going start winning national elections again. There's a lot of discontent out there to work with.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I agree, but I hope they do it in ways that don't turn me into a Republican. Helping people with health care. Providing more training. Providing better welfare and unemployment protections. Those kinds of things I can get behind.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure the next Dem will run as a moderate, but with enough support go a little more liberal on certain issues like health care and ss. Remember how moderate Bush pretended to be in 2000. I doubt it will be Hillary though. She's a good distraction, let her take all the heat while they get somebody good (hopefully). She has even said she has no interest in running, and she's got to know she won't win. It would be a good protest vote, but Nader has a better chance.

And I wouldn't put it past the moderate Reps to elect someone better in '08, especially if they lose some seats in '06.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Obama has a chance i would think, but not yet. hes just starting really, maybe not '08 but he would be a canidate in '12 for sure i would think. hes got charisma and there is just something about him.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

America doesnt go for Senators for pres, they like governors.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

And the Democratic ticket for 2008 is...

...probably much the same as the Republican ticket - albeit one with a more genuine, yet hopelessly unarticulated message/platform.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well as shown twice by Bush just lie lie lie and with enough $$$ soon people will think its the gospel and all you need to win in 50.1% of the vote. who cares about the 49% Bush didnt and it was shown to everyone after Katrina.