And the money's rolling in! the Mac pays for itself!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joe50000, Nov 1, 2006.

1. joe50000 macrumors member

Wow, i've already paid off my iMac!

I got it a month and a half ago, thinking I would just use it for everyday use and some light pro work just as a hobby. Then a friend asked me to edit her wedding video for her into a dvd for her family and friends, and for a keepsake. Apparantly people who do wedding dvds charge in the thousands! i took a $500 fee and made it in 2 weeks - It took a while because i had to learn iMovie HD. I tell you - that is some powerful editing software. The only downside is that I wish they would have more pre-made custom templates on the quality level of the Road Trip motif. Anyway, word of mouth spread and I already have my iMac paid off for and then some! anyone else use their iMac for pro level work like this? I've also done tons of stuff with iPhoto and iWork making presentations and slideshows for people. I tell you - iLife is a VERY robust program suite! it's almost worth purchasing a Mac for all by itself!

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

So you could say your iMac was a worthwhile investment

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i love it how when given a stock Mac, people can make albums, wedding DVDs, etc. and earn money off it.

Congrats, and I hope they refer you so you can earn a bit more! :)

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Pretty fantastic, eh? I've rather neglected the bundled applications, but it's very nice to hear that they can be competently used in real world projects.

Grats joe50000!

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Hey, maybe you can start graduating into the more pro apps, and go from there. It's always cool to see someone get into media production and start their climb up the ladder, so to speak. Awesome, man! :D

6. joe50000 thread starter macrumors member

I'm already looking into Final Cut Express/Pro but iMovie is such a good program in and of itself that i'll just stick with it for a while.

7. Apple2Mac macrumors regular

Apple2Mac

I taught my Dad how to use iMovie a few years ago now he is the official wedding videographer for our extended family...

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Poor guy. :)

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Final Cut Studio (Pro) is what you'll want. The Final Cut Studio includes more than just video editing software, it has powerful apps like Soundtrack for creating awesome music and sounds to go with your movies, Motion to create your own custom effects, and DVD Studio Pro to create custom DVD menus and things... once you get more into it, you'll want to stop using the pre-made iMovie and iDVD templates and move onto these more advanced topics.

But you're off to a great start!