And the UK is worth....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by orangedv, Dec 29, 2003.

1. orangedv macrumors member

Apparently some people who are good at adding things up have worked out that the UK, yes that lump of green off the coast of Europe is worth £5 trillion.
    Link; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3354649.stm. That on its own is nothing to raise an eyebrow over; but what they worked out next makes it worth reading. If the Queen were to cash it all in, she could with £5 trillion buy......

199 million David Beckhams

92,000 International Space Stations

or maybe if planes are your thing either 41.5 million Boeing 747s, 906 million Lear jets or even 8.8 million B-2 Stealth bombers.

Or what about my personal favourite; 2,516 trillion pints of beer !!

My question; How many G5's would this net, or Ipods, or Apple inc's?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Fixed link ;)
    meh, I knew I was a valuable asset, why won’t my boss believe me?

(current rate of exchange that's $150,000 per person, $8,854,008,580,825 total value :D £ > $ :p)

edit: oh, and btw, I make that 2,174,858,634 dual 2GHz G5's (stock) :drool: V Tech Cluster rev 2?

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    but how many zeros in a trillion??? i always thought an english billion (1,000,000,000,000 or a million million) is different from an american one (1,000,000,000 - a thousand million). so does that apply to a trillion too????? but by that rule the article is 5 billion if you count the zeros. is an english billion now an american billion?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

er...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

As I see it...

1m - 1,000,000
    1b - 1,000,000,000
    1t - 1,000,000,000,000
    5t - 5,000,000,000,000

which makes my last post wrong *goes off and edits above post* :rolleyes:

edit: done ;)

5. orangedv thread starter macrumors member

whats a billion?

I have a feeling that there is some sort of international standard for billions, so that the world's bank dudes and scientists dont get thier calculators in a twist when they talk to each other.

Imagine the scenario; Nasa, can you guys tell us where that damn frisbee of yours is on mars so we can find it for you? Yes, its 5 b meters south of that big mountain.....

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

orangedv -- You bring up how ___ somehing is... problem being ...
    meters is a standard measurement, money can only be compared to other money, products or services.

Based on Trade. Money is a number. Money can be $1 = Apple PowerMac
    Or Apple PowerMac = $2131923123

BTW... somehow you copied the 'amount' wrong...
    orangedv you underestimate the cost of a space station?

I mean 92,000 :eek:

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The British billion was indeed a million million but it seems to have changed to the thousand million - at least in popular usage. So basically we've adopted the US version...

8. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

let's pretend

I would have been suprised if the US didn't move the goal posts, I imagine it was something like...

How much more do we need to get to 1 Billion?... How MUCH?!... How much can we have by lunch time?... oh okay.... so one thousand million is a lot too, but just doesn't sound as good as 1 billion?... hmm....

9. orangedv thread starter macrumors member

They changed the amounts!!

I think the bean counters made some big boo boo's. My list above was not a copy, it was a cut and paste from the web page. The web link has now changed to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3354649.stm and the figures have changed too.

Now £5 trillion gets you just;
    6,200 Millennium Domes
    199,000 David Beckhams
    11,000 Queen Mary 2 cruise ships
    92 International Space Stations
    8,800 B-2 Stealth bombers
    906,000 Lear jets
    41,500 Boeing 747s
    2,516 trillion pints of bitter

The Beckham and beer figures are the same, but the rest have changed. Maybe that's a sign of what's on the accountants minds?

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

hmm

Does that include discount for bulk purchases?

didn't fink so

11. orangedv thread starter macrumors member

92 space stations

And another thing, anyone actually taken a long hard look at that station? Strip away the beam and the solar panels and what is it? Half a dozen bean cans is all I can see. Made from what, maybe aluminium and titanium? The sooner government space agencies are replaced with private companies the better for the world's tax payers. Thats what I think anyway.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

lol, yeah, for 5 trillion quid I'd wat a damn sight more that 92 **** space stations FFS, we are talking 5 trillion here after all!