And this is why the Hubble should burn in a great big ball of fire.....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Attached Files:

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I need TP for my interstellar bunghole!

Yeah go figure, why dump that thing now? If it's still useful, they would just be wasting it.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I swear Nasa is ran by a bunch of political beuaracratic idiots. Hubble just keeps on going and seeing new things all the time. Boost its darn orbit at least you bunch of clowns running Nasa. All they can see are those dollars for their next project. I feel this agency needs a civilian committee to look at what they are doing with every project since it is we the American tax payers that fund all of their projects. They should try to get another 10 or more years out of hubble if possible and then put it in a museum but to allow it to just be thrown away is Nasa not using that thing they carry around on their necks.
    (edit) thanks for the picture Mr Anderson makes a nice desk top)

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

not a problem - but go to the link above and get the non compressed version, its much nicer :D

D

5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Awesome picture! The universe is really amazing. It this kind of image that reminds me just how small we are in the grand scheme of things. I feel like watching Contact again...;)

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Currently I have a screensaver of pictures from the Hubble... and my desktop is Hubble pictures too (set to change every 5 seconds). I say keep the Hubble, these pictures are amazing. :)

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very nice Mr. Anderson, hopefully the Hubble will have many more useful years of life ahead. That is an awesome picture.

9. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Indeed that is an awesome picture. Why is it that they aren't going to keep it in orbit anymore?

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Actually they have plans on replacing it in 2011, a year after Hubble (probably) dies. Don't fear, we will have a scope in space. It just reminds me of pumping money in an old car, and just how much is it worth when you have to GET the parts up there? Too expensive. I'd rather wait, milk the current scope, and pump some cash into a new, improved model.
    Of course, one could argue that our wonderful president, in his idiotic quest for Mars, helped kill it... but I won't.

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Keep using the Hubble until it dies.

I think the reason for this is the phasing out of the Space Shuttle. Seems that the Hubble is going to need some servicing and the CEV (Crew Exploration Vehicle) is not going to be ready until then.

I think that if people want to keep the Hubble going, it would have to be using the Shuttle, and the way things are, Shuttle flights are like playing russian roulette. Would be bad to have yet another astronaut go bye-bye, especially if they know what the problem is.

12. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

They can't keep Hubble up forever...

There is going to come a time that it will be too expensive and require too much time to fix, and this seems to be that time.

Don't worry though, there are already plans for a replacement that will be much better than Hubble can ever be.

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Yes, doesn't it make sense? The president is going to give NASA more money, which in turn will lead to the demise of the Hubble Telescope!

I love your comment. Oh, did you know the ocean is too salty because of President Bush? Ever since we went to war with Iraq!

It all connects now!

15. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think the hubble should remain there until it dies, and then put in a museum. think about it, they can't just let it burn up. it's been a big part of history (at least i think) and it should be preserved, because years from now, we'll be kicking ourselves in the ass if we don't keep it somehow.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah, all of those great pictures... and we want her to burn up...

Smooth Move -- Idiots.

Arg, why?

Does it cost THAT much money to keep it running?

17. tombq macrumors newbie

Beauty of tech and creation and treason alert

As I wait to get my powerbook I see you all just thinking it MIGHT be true when it is indeed true that the Mars program will coopt/precule all else. Part of the Admin's bone to the Fundamentalist Righties who do not want to have their belief systems go down in evidence the beauty of God's creation etc.

Another travesty of travesties!

People who need to be right might even kill or be killed to be right. God bless and save the U.S. and the world

Best
    Tom

now where oh where is that NEW release 12.1 powerbook?!

18. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just a note: The cost of trying to bring the Hubble down and place it in a museum would be enourmous. Every retired satellite of any kind, no matter how valuable, is allowed to burn up in the atmosphere because of the incredible cost of trying to bring it down.

JW

19. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

if the hubble has provided us with those kinds of images, then i consider it a piece of history. we should start to preserve history so historians can look back and see what we did to make it work so well with the technology we had.

and maybe some billionare could buy it in an auction and provide NASA with money ;) :p

20. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

the next gen space telescope isn't like the Hubble in many ways. And it still has a long way to go before they put it in the Lagrange Point.... http://ngst.gsfc.nasa.gov/

And its not planned to be launched until 2011 - if the Hubble gets put on hold, they're talking about bring it down soon - so we'd have 5-6 years of no space telescope.

Before that, planned for launch in 2007, there will be the Herschel Space Telescope - but it has a much narrower research goal... http://herschel.jpl.nasa.gov/herschel/index.html

I say use the thing until it breaks and boost it into higher orbit and keep it in space permanently.

D

21. Greenpants macrumors newbie

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sure, the pyramids are just a pile of stones....:rolleyes:

Its a matter of perspective - the Hubble has changed our view and understanding of the Universe - for this alone it shouldn't be scrapped and kept working as long as possible.

Even if we sent up a replacement tomorrow, there is still so much to see and learn, more than a dozen Hubbles V. 2.0 could handle. If you can still gain valuable data and make new discoveries, there's no real reason to shoot it down.

D

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

so very true Mr Anderson, in fact today cnn reported that a couple of Nasa engineers said it was no more difficult going to hubble then it was sending a shuttle to the space station. Its the pin heads running Nasa, same ones who thought a chunk of foam at hundreds of miles an hour couldnt hurt the shuttle. More then one scope would benefit us all. I say keep it going and once another one is up and working let schools use hubble or make it part of a Earth defense project for looking for far away asteroids that could be coming our way or comets and rocks.
    If Nasa wants to go to the moon so bad put it up there. Nasa is still lost,floundering without a clue of where they are going or what they are doing. all they can see is $$$ for the next project.

24. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Boost it up high and use it until it breaks again.