Android 4.3?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Michael Goff, Apr 27, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...and-testing-android-4-3-its-still-jelly-bean/

Anyone else disappointed? Small number difference probably means small differences. Key Lime Pie might not be coming yet.

2. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I suspected KLP would be delayed. Don't expect it till September I'm thinking.

3. macrumors 6502a

Assault

Point updates mean the addition or subtraction or modification of Google apps within the OS, but using the same base code format for developers to easily upgrade. (Google Babble will be in 4.3 for instance.)

Number updates signifies a complete code update. Think how different 2.x was to 4.x or the completely bastardized 3.x was for tablets like the original Galaxy Tabs and Xoom.

While I still believe Google will discuss 5.0 at I/O next month, I don't think they will release any code or make a promise of a specific release date. More like KLP will be released "in the fall" of 2013 (likely around the time Apple releases the iPhone 5s in order to steal some thunder from Apples announcement.)

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep. Agreed. I think they are going to go all out with the motorola X and KLP at around same time as the iPhone 5S launch.

5. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

Well, Apple has been pushing out incremental iOS updates forever and no one seems to complaining, so I really don't care if Google does this, as long as KLP is around the corner.

6. macrumors 6502

I won't be disappointed if they don't release it at I/O, I will be disappointed if they don't release something this year.

Honestly, I would much rather them release 4.3 than 5.0 if the updates are going to be incremental. In 5.0, I expect a whole UI refresh.

----------

Thiiiis. They might do what they did with Ice Cream Sandwich. They had a launch event for Galaxy Nexus sometime in the fall where they showed off Ice Cream Sandwich for the first time as well.

7. thread starter macrumors 603

Michael Goff

Wait, what?

A whole UI change? What's wrong with the UI we currently have?

8. macrumors 6502

There's really nothing wrong with it, I'd just like to see a new UI. We've had this UI for 2 years now. :)

Android, with the exception of 1.6 -> 2.0, has received a UI refresh every major release. The UI changed in 2.3 Gingerbread, 3.0 Honeycomb, then 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. I expect Google to continue doing this, unless they are trying to do what Apple does.

9. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

They couldn't do "what Apple does" if they tried. If you want to talk about lack of UI refreshes, Apple is king of the hill. ;)

10. macrumors 68030

4.3, new Nexus 7, Motorola X Phone.

Late fall, Android 5.0 with Nexus 5.

11. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Really interested in seeing what the new Nex 7 brings...

12. blackhand1001, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013

macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I wouldn't really consider 3.0 to 4.0 a complete refresh. 4.0 just brought the changes in honeycomb to the phones.

13. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

All reports suggest the Motorola X has been delayed till Q3/4 as google were not happy with it.

14. macrumors 6502a

Not to make too big a deal out of it, but have you guys seen the statistics on Android versions? Less than 2% on 4.2. JB not even the 2nd most used Android version.

I think Google needs to make it a point to port their latest OS to a larger audience. They have done such great work and put in such amazing features since GB, yet roughly half of their user base doesn't get said upgrades.

15. macrumors 68040

Most Android phones are not high end phones though. I don't think carriers are going to waste time branding updates for plenty of phones that aren't meant to do much(loosely speaking), compared to top of the line phones.

16. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Google doesn't and can't control who gets the updates. That's up to the phones specs, carrier and manufacturer. All three and especially the latter two are what determines when, or if a device will get an update. The core apps are updated separately anyway.

Honestly though, does google really care what version of android a phone is running as long as it's in their ecosystem? Either way, they're generating cash.

17. macrumors 6502a

Assault

Here are the stats as of April 2nd. And while 4.2.x is only available on a few select phones, that number will increase quite a bit in the next 60 days, with the S4.

[​IMG]

18. macrumors 68000

I don't mind a delay on KLP, i prefer Google get it right then rush it out.

19. macrumors 6502a

My point was only that Google has a problem, whether minor, small, big, doesn't matter. Enough resources are devoted to Android such that having only 2% of your user base actually using the latest and greatest, most powerful mobile OS is kind of deflating.

You have to consider too that some of those getting 4.2 are also coming from a 4.2 phone. Look deeper at why so many devices are on GB (not ICS), and see how many are because they are on lower end devices. Then thinking further, how many of those users are going to actually move up in the price scale to aim for a GS4.

This isn't a knock on Android or Google, b/c again I think it is the most powerful mobile OS. There's so much that they've done since 2.0 that isn't getting the exposure it deserves.

20. macrumors 603

spinedoc77

I wonder if ios7 will be that much stronger, although really its playing catch up and its so far behind android in many aspects. The incredibly low adoption rate of new android versions would also affect this.

21. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

There's really no benefit of 4.2 over 4.1 anyway. I actually have my galaxy nexus running. 4.1.2 cm10 stable as I prefer it.

22. macrumors 6502a

Lockscreen widgets in 4.2 is quite an advantage.

23. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Its current implementation leaves a lot to be desired to be honest.

24. macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Agreed, I'm definitely not a fan of the 4.2 lockscreen

25. macrumors 6502a

Assault

I understand where you are coming from, I just think the average consumer just doesn't know any better or just doesn't care. Gingerbread is perfectly fine for most people running low to mid tier phones and the stats will only change once people eventually upgrade to newer phones running higher specs capable of handling the newer OS's.