Android can be used to take over/hijack an airplane

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Explicitic, Apr 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Well...this is certainly interesting, yet very frightening.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/04/11/android-flight-management-system-exploit/

It seems that guy was able to build a custom app capable of taking over a plane's navigation systems. It's able to redirect the plane just by a tap of a location on the map. The exploit only works when the plane is in autopilot, but it's still very frightening.

2. macrumors 68000

roxxette

the most interesting part is he didnt try to sell it :eek:

3. macrumors 68000

Sylon

It was a proof of concept to show that there are massive security holes in the airline industry. Hopefully, airline security will listen. Not all hackers are evil.

4. macrumors 68000

roxxette

Thats what is impresive, with the ****** economy whe live atm it would have been a great opportunity to make some good money :) hopefully he gets some kind of reward or they use him for future projects.

5. macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised that you're able to do this with the autopilot, I can't see a reason why the system would allow it to be controlled remotely. Surely it should just be wired into the plane?

6. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I didn't know the autopilot systems were that vulnerable :eek:

7. macrumors 68040

0dev

It's not really Android that can hack airplanes, it's the app the guy wrote, it was just on Android because it's a nice open platform to develop proof of concepts like this on.

Anyway, this is scary indeed. I hope this gets fixed soon, the one place you really don't want exploits is ****ing airplanes :eek:

8. macrumors 68040

0dev

This has now been dismissed:

9. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That's quite interesting... Although I doubt it would be any good for terrorists, as the pilot would probably notice pretty quickly that the plane is going off course, so he'd just disengage the autopilot and fly manually.