Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
What does this have to do with the topic

The thread topic, nothing. So cool, the discussion should end. The top of you being hypocritical in every discussion around here.... well everything.
[doublepost=1467234540][/doublepost]
There are no patents to disable texting messaging when you enter a car. Big difference from it being illegal to text.

I sincerely think you should think this idea through.

You don't think there are patents for disabling the screen while the car is moving.....ok then.

Oh look, one by Apple:
http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-aims-to-disable-texting-while-youre-driving/

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The thread topic, nothing. So cool, the discussion should end. The top of you being hypocritical in every discussion around here.... well everything.

You don't think there are patents for disabling the screen while the car is moving.....ok then.
No me buying phones with a locked bootloader has NOTHING to do with what we were discussing. Lets stick to the topic of discussion and not the poster.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Oh look, one by Apple:
http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-aims-to-disable-texting-while-youre-driving/

Fair enough. The patent exists. It's from 2014. Hasn't been implemented as of yet. And I'm not convinced this is a good idea, but you know what, it's for safety and I'm not entirely against it. This is different from disabling the camera function at venues.

Having said that, you should still seriously think through your other idea of "disabling the screen while the car is moving." Goodbye Apple Maps navigation? Emergency calls? There are so many reasons why this is a terrible idea.

Reactions: jamezr

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
No me buying phones with a locked bootloader has NOTHING to do with what we were discussing. Lets stick to the topic of discussion and not the poster.

Ok well then stop saying you don't want companies to disable your device (you mentioned you first)... because they already do. This is nothing new.
[doublepost=1467234962][/doublepost]
Fair enough. The patent exists. It's from 2014. Hasn't been implemented as of yet.

But you should seriously think through your other idea of "disabling the screen while the car is moving."

Well it is already implemented in in car GPS... phones are the next to go. Even the passenger can't mess with the GPS or screen controls. Or do we just keep killing people? I don't like a few bad eggs.... but again, people don't have self control anymore.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ok well then stop saying you don't want companies to disable your device (you mentioned you first)... because they already do. This is nothing new.
it is a horrible idea and opens Pandora's box to slue of other uses. Companies charging a fee to have people's phones disabled at a location. Then charging the device owner a fee to get the functions re enabled. Think about it objectively for a minute.
Tourist go to Ellis Island to take pictures of the statue of Liberty. But their camera phones are disabled as soon as they get close. But to get the camera function enabled they can pay small fee. This ends up being big $$$ to whomever disables the camera and to whoever charges the fee to have it re enabled.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
[doublepost=1467234962][/doublepost]

Well it is already implemented in in car GPS... phones are the next to go. Even the passenger can't mess with the GPS or screen controls. Or do we just keep killing people? I don't like a few bad eggs.... but again, people don't have self control anymore.

I'm not exactly against a feature that makes texting while driving more difficult. The difference between this and the camera-at-venue thing is that it's very specific to someone who is driving. The patent attempts to recognize that it's the driver's phone, so passengers can continue using their phone or the driver can hand it off to someone, etc.

But wholesale disabling the camera function at venues? That targets everyone's phones, and that isn't fair. Again, what if I just want to take a picture of me and my friends at the venue? Or of anything non-performance related? Will the camera-patent recognize that I'm attempting to film/take a pic of the actual performance and only disable it then? Will the patent/feature be that specific?

Reactions: jamezr

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
it is a horrible idea and opens Pandora's box to slue of other uses. Companies charging a fee to have people's phones disabled at a location. Then charging the device owner a fee to get the functions re enabled. Think about it objectively for a minute.
Tourist go to Ellis Island to take pictures of the statue of Liberty. But their camera phones are disabled as soon as they get close. But to get the camera function enabled they can pay small fee. This ends up being big $$$ to whomever disables the camera and to whoever charges the fee to have it re enabled.

Yes everything new in technology opens a pandoras box..... just think about your cell phone sitting there.... listening to everything you say. That argument can be used for literally anything if you go all slippery slopey.
[doublepost=1467235675][/doublepost]
I'm not exactly against a feature that makes texting while driving more difficult. The difference between this and the camera-at-venue thing is that it's very specific to someone who is driving. The patent attempts to recognize that it's the driver's phone, so passengers can continue using their phone or the driver can hand it off to someone, etc.

But wholesale disabling the camera function at venues? That targets everyone's phones, and that isn't fair. Again, what if I just want to take a picture of me and my friends at the venue? Or of anything non-performance related? Will the camera-patent recognize that I'm attempting to film/take a pic of the actual performance and only disable it then? Will the patent/feature be that specific?

Then I encourage artists to keep using the lock boxes. Dave Chapelle did it. It was awesome. Mostly because I didn't bring my phone. Because I saw the venue didn't allow them. And people acted like you were chopping off an arm or something.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes everything new in technology opens a pandoras box..... just think about your cell phone sitting there.... listening to everything you say. That argument can be used for literally anything if you go all slippery slopey.
Two different things entirely. One is done on purpose by disabling a persons personal device for a fee.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Huh? Everything on your phone is done for a "fee".
no it is not....I can take all the pictures of anything I want on my phone with no fees applied. I bought my phone and all the features on it for a price. No company should be allowed to disable those functions. It is my device and my property.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Software licensing is such bs. Thankfully as an individual you can just ignore it with basically no risk. F your tos and eula

I see why people like Linux, if only it could run Windows applications or had Mac style integration or was just more consumer friendly in general. Drivers always seem to be an issue too, especially if we are talking aosp on mobile.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Software licensing is such bs. Thankfully as an individual you can just ignore it with basically no risk. F your tos and eula

I see why people like Linux, if only it could run Windows applications or had Mac style integration or was just more consumer friendly in general. Drivers always seem to be an issue too, especially if we are talking aosp on mobile.

So no catalog of Windows apps, no Mac integration, not that consumer friendly....oh, and ****** driver support. Other than that, Linux sounds perfect. ;):D

To be clear, my touch in firmly planted in my cheek...just a little friendly ball busting.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
So no catalog of Windows apps, no Mac integration, not that consumer friendly....oh, and ****** driver support. Other than that, Linux sounds perfect. ;):D

To be clear, my touch in firmly planted in my cheek...just a little friendly ball busting.

Oh I hear you :p , I'd rather just use the other os' and break their tos/ EULA. Can't have your cake and eat it too with linux

The idealist in me likes Linux because I feel the world would be better with software licensed in that manner but in practice it is not drm/corporate friendly and the user suffers, along with what you said ;)

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So what you are saying then is that with the same logic the fact that you aren't noticing a performance improvement in iOS 9.3.3 betas so far would then similarly make your opinion invalid. We are back to what my original comment about all of this was. Quite a conundrum there.
So you are implying it's back to 8.4.1 levels of performance and we can't notice it right?

The videos don't lie though

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I'm implying what I said in my comments, nothing more, nothing less.
And you are clearly wrong as videos show 8.4.1 to still be faster and smoother.I admit iOS 9 only improved in performance till the 9.2 mark.Its mostly lacklustre after that especially 9.3 betaa

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And you are clearly wrong as videos show 8.4.1 to still be faster and smoother.I admit iOS 9 only improved in performance till the 9.2 mark.Its mostly lacklustre after that especially 9.3 betaa
The issue with that video, which is essentially the issue with all videos you post is:
1. Nobody uses their phone like that in real life, except to make YouTube videos
2. There is no clear winner in the video
3. iOS 8 was admittedly the worst release ever
4. Lag, stutter, Input blocking and all other "perceived" complaints iOS 9.3.3 beta 4, more functionality, better stability, better safari performance trumps everything over iOS 8.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
For the first time ever, Samsung begins selling S7 and S7 Edge unlocked in the US: http://www.androidcentral.com/unlocked-galaxy-s7-gs7-edge-now-available-us

One of the biggest knocks that people have is the carrier bloatware and carrier interference with software/security updates. Now you can circumvent all of that.

I wonder how this will affect sales.

It won't. The diehards who care about updates and bloat already bought it. Or are waiting for the Note.

The rest are probably more happy with payment plans via the carriers.

But I.... yes even I..... will absolutely buy one if it drops under $500 unlocked before the next Nexus comes out :)

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It won't. The diehards who care about updates and bloat already bought it. Or are waiting for the Note.

The rest are probably more happy with payment plans via the carriers.

But I.... yes even I..... will absolutely buy one if it drops under $500 unlocked before the next Nexus comes out :)

I agree. It won't be a big difference.

Just great that the option is finally there.

Reactions: Surf Donkey

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I agree. It won't be a big difference.

Just great that the option is finally there.
and it creates good will to those that have complained about no unlocked S7. Then there are those that wait and but their phones after release dates. This is kinda like releasing the dev model.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Are you willing to wait an extra 3 months on the next release to pay in full for the unlocked device? @jamezr are you?

That'll depend how much Samsung has wrangled control (if any) from the carriers in terms of bloatware/updates. I'm not holding my breath!

So, yes, I would be willing to wait.

Besides, I foresee the Galaxy line becoming small incremental upgrades moving forward now that it's really hit its stride. Samsung will experiment elsewhere with other lines (foldable displays, the weird camera-ring notification light that might debut on some Samsung J2 device, etc.) while the Galaxy S and Note lines remain faithfully similar with small new features here and there. Like Apple.

I don't think I'll be crazed to update. I can wait 3 months for an unlocked, carrier-free version.

Having said that, ideally, they'd do it like HTC; unlocked option on launch day. But I think carrier relations will prevent that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.