Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Games and apps almost uniformly look better on iOS. Higher quality games are on iOS.
This seems less and less true over time. I've got plenty of attractive, fun games on my Nexus 7, and they look pretty much identical to the ones on my iDevices.

I grant that there are more iOS game options, but it's not like the Android options are some vast wasteland. It's a rich ecosystem, just not as rich. For some, that extra iOS set of apps is critically important. For others, Play has far more than enough, and the gap continues to narrow.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'm apps are subpar because of the fragmentation. I'm also saying that the OS and the apps suffer from a lack of optimization because it's impossible to optimize for hardware due to the fact that the hardware configurations are sporadic. Games and apps almost uniformly look better on iOS. Higher quality games are on iOS. This has a direct effect on any Android user because it is their experience. You can have a Nexus device all you want, but if a fragmented ecosystem is subpar then it is subpar.

Okay then name the apps and devices which the app is subpar between Android devices, by subpar I mean the app looks and works great and has features and functions which are not available on another device. Specifically, name the apps which do not work or are subpar on the Nexus 7 which are better on a different Android device.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Here's my outlook on those videos.

They DID open my eyes to what Android had to offer wherein I would not have considered it before. They also motivated me to try an android device. SSGS3.

Is Android better? No, it is merely different. Is iOS better? No it is merely different.

Point of fact is that I really like customizing and hiding apps that I am not using and if I could have done that with the iPhone, I would not have switched. There IS much more customization available and things that you can do with Android that you cannot with iPhone.

However, fragmentation IS an issue. One example: I cannot get a compatible version of PvZ on my phone... so therefore, despite what people say it IS an issue. Android developers do not care as much about Android as they do for iOS and this is reflected in app quality.

Can I do everything I want to on my Android phone? Yes (excepting some games that I really liked available only to iOS). Do I love looking at my homescreen compared to iOS, YES.

If I could get an iPhone with a 4.3-4.5" screen with the availability to add a widget or two or customize how it appears, with the apps available AND (most importantly, CURRENT and timely OS updates) I would be all over it faster than a fat kid on chocolate cake!

Despite fanaticism on both sides, pick the OS that offers what you most want in a phone. I don't mind if people are fans of an OS, but I really am getting sick of people trying to convert people like some desperate TV evangelist. Just because YOU might like a particular OS, doesn't mean that everyone shares your point of view. Despite what many fanbois of both OS's think, the sun does not rise and set out of that particular device's ass.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
When it comes to phones......... I see myself sticking with Android for now on. Will only consider the top of the line models. I currently use the GS3. I'm on a Jelly Bean touchwiz ROM and it crushes iOS when it comes to functionality, speed, and smoothness. The iPhone is still a great phone. I'm just the type of user that wants and needs everything possible(not literally), and exactly the way I want it setup. That's hard to achieve on the iPhone even with Jailbreak.

When it comes to Tablets....... I'm still using my iPad 2 daily and don't have any urge at all to replace it with any Android tablet. I mainly use it for browsing and some certain apps. I'll probably keep using it until I run into issues, still Jailbroken on 5.0.1.

iOS is still king of the app world when it comes to releases, but I don't see any real difference in the quality of apps that are on both platforms. The GS3 is one of the most popular Android phones, so I haven't run into any compatibility issues. I'm sure others with less popular phones have.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Here's my outlook on those videos.

They DID open my eyes to what Android had to offer wherein I would not have considered it before. They also motivated me to try an android device. SSGS3.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That is what the videos did for me and why I posted it. Showed me things that I never knew existed or that I could do with Android. Only I don't have a SSGS3, or smartphone for that matter. I just won't pay $70+ a month for phone service, waste of good money. I'll stick with my prepaid pay-as-you-go $15/month minimum.

But it did cause me to buy a Nexus 7 which I absolutely LOVE. I carry it with me to work in my jacket pocket so I can read, or play Nintendo games, or Playstation games, or Sega games, or surf on my work's free WIFI, and more during my breaks and lunch hour. Use it around the house all the time, heck I now use my MBP sparingly as I've now noticed that I don't really need it 80% of the time.

Love the fact I can customize to look and feel how I want it, not how Apple tells me I must have it with their rows of icons. But iOS does let you change wallpaper :p Love that darn Nexus and Android. If I did have a smartphone it would now be an Android. Coming from a former iPhone user (3G that I disconnected in 2009), current MBP user, former iPod Touch user.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
In any real sense, each company's flagship phone is fast enough. Performance of all of these is, in normal use, roughly equivalent. It comes down to the OS and ecosystem and your personal preferences, because the fact that Phone A is twice as fast as Phone B in SpecTest 1 and 0.75 times as fast in SpecTest 2 is usually irrelevant.

I know people who are perfectly happy with iPhone 3s - which are, what, 8x slower than the iPhone 5? For tablets, speed matters more. For phones? It just has to be fast enough, and they all are.

Amen to this.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
This seems less and less true over time. I've got plenty of attractive, fun games on my Nexus 7, and they look pretty much identical to the ones on my iDevices.

I grant that there are more iOS game options, but it's not like the Android options are some vast wasteland. It's a rich ecosystem, just not as rich. For some, that extra iOS set of apps is critically important. For others, Play has far more than enough, and the gap continues to narrow.
This is maybe true for the iPhone but far from the truth on the iPad. iPad has an ecosystem that is far and away better than the Android tablet counterparts.

Okay then name the apps and devices which the app is subpar between Android devices, by subpar I mean the app looks and works great and has features and functions which are not available on another device. Specifically, name the apps which do not work or are subpar on the Nexus 7 which are better on a different Android device.
I'm sorry but did I make the claim that an app did not fuction from device to device? I said the OS and apps cannot optimize to the hardware like iOS can. Why do you think the SG3 has 2GB of RAM yet the iPhone 5 with half that can manage to have an at least equally smooth (I would argue smoother) experience? Apps function from device to device, but in my opinion many apps don't quite measure up to iOS counterparts. Not all apps, some are largely identical.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
What customizations do you have to improve productivity other then widgets? I never understood the point of the whole themes thing on jailbroken iOS either.

Not sure about themes on jailbroken iOS. At least for me, widgets are what would either improve my productivity or make things more convenient. A number of others have listed a number of things already. I'll list what hasn't already been mentioned.

I have a Volume Widget that controls the volume of the various sounds on my phone. This widget does more than simply mute and unmute sounds. On an Android phone, you can set different volume levels for the following sounds: ringtone, notification sound, alarm, media and voice.

When I go to bed, I want notifications muted, but I still want my alarm and ringtone to sound. With Volume widget, I set a profile where only the notifications are muted with the others set to a lower volume level. With a single tap of the widget I can mute my notification sounds, so an email will not disturb my sleep.

When I wake up, I want to turn back on the notification sounds and raise the sound levels to a normal level. I have a sound profile for this and can activate it with a single tap on the widget.

I also have a third sound profile for loud environments where all of the sounds are maxed. I can activate this with the widget, too.

Another widget that I find most useful is a widget for Seesmic, a third party Twitter app. I have a list set up for traffic tweets. Normally, if you launch Twitter, you get to the main feed. Then I have to select lists and my traffic list to see all of the traffic tweets. My Seesmic shortcut takes me directly to this traffic list without having to navigate through a bunch of menus.

It is true that few people uses the full potential of Android or any smartphone. I just find that there are things that I use on my Android phone that makes some things more convenient than on an iOS device.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
This is maybe true for the iPhone but far from the truth on the iPad. iPad has an ecosystem that is far and away better than the Android tablet counterparts.

I don't quite agree.
Fact: You need separate app for ipad. iphone apps on ipad just look extremely crap. (i.e. raster view zoom) and virtually unusable. On Android, those apps (except games) that have not added a "tablet view", still scaled up nicely on tablet screen.

I'm sorry but did I make the claim that an app did not fuction from device to device? I said the OS and apps cannot optimize to the hardware like iOS can. Why do you think the SG3 has 2GB of RAM yet the iPhone 5 with half that can manage to have an at least equally smooth (I would argue smoother) experience?

A MS-DOS computer (i.e. iOS) requires much less RAM because it needs only to do ONE task at a time. On Android, there are so many tasks (incl. UI) running at same time and competing for CPU time.

Apps function from device to device, but in my opinion many apps don't quite measure up to iOS counterparts. Not all apps, some are largely identical.

I would say differently. Even for same identical app, the iOS version is usually dumber and have less functionality. Android version has added capability (incl. background sync/upload/download, alert notification, reacts to intents like "share"/"open", widget in home screen etc). Just checkout some mainstream app like dropbox, opera mini, catch, rss reader and you can see the Android versions are so much more capable than iOS.

And there are so MANY type of Android apps that have no equivalent (or cannot be programmed) in IOS because of the restrictive/dumbed down iOS. Technically there isnt any iOS apps that cannot be ported to Android.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Let me ask you a few questions about your post, if you do not mind:

1) Fragmentation - If you buy a new Nexus 4, 7 or 10 sold directly from and supported directly by Google where you get the latest OS updates directly from Google, how does fragmentation effect you?

2) If you customize any OS to the point of it not being useful, how is that the OS's fault? Isn't that the users fault for not knowing exactly what they want? Why would anyone customize to the point that its useless? Wouldn't you stop once you reached the point of satisfaction?

3) So, its more productive to say, open the cal app to see your appointments next week, open your reminders app to see your to do list, then open your mail app to see your recent emails, then open your Podcast app to listen to a pod cast, then open your music app to listen to music, of then open Pages to look at a document...of and you want to know the weather, then go to notification center, and press the date to OPEN THE WEATHER APP...

Isn't it nicer to have all that information, assuming that is important to you, on a screen or two, nicely summarized and then, if needed open the related app to work with the data, instead of opening apps only to decide if you need to do something?

The above are just examples; but you get the idea; I could go on and on how widgets make the OS far more productive over opening apps over and over again.

Spoken like someone who has never used widgets. Widgets are almost completely useless. A gigantic widget for weather - a live icon does that in iOS. Widgets for mail? LOL. Calendar widget? Yes, I need to have all my appointments constantly on my home screen.

Purant

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2012
Not going to watch an hour of video about this. Yes, Android has a lot of customization options and you can root, flash roms etc. Bottom line is that you can do a lot with Android but a small number of people actually use these features.

And this is why I am annoyed by Apple lately. They really target the lowest common denominator. "a few people use that so why bother". As soon as you need something beyond the intended you use, you are out of luck.

And you know what? Most people are missing at least one feature in iOS. It might be something obscure and/or even silly, but everyone's has at least on pet feature that would like to see on iOS. It's not the same for everyone but gather enough of those features that "a small number of people actually use" and you result in an OS where EVERY user misses something.

It's like going to a restaurant that only has french fries, because all other food is something that "a small number of people actually eat" while everyone eats fries. It may be the best french fries you've ever eaten, but if... if it happens that one day you're feeling like eating a salad... We'll... you're out of luck.

[DISCLAIMER: I'm exaggerating a bit, but I usually do that when I'm trying to make a point, apologies]

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Spoken like someone who has never used widgets. Widgets are almost completely useless. A gigantic widget for weather - a live icon does that in iOS. Widgets for mail? LOL. Calendar widget? Yes, I need to have all my appointments constantly on my home screen.

Spoken like someone who has no idea what a widget is. :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Spoken like someone who has never used widgets. Widgets are almost completely useless.
So, you've never really used them.
A gigantic widget for weather - a live icon does that in iOS.
Um, no. A live icon in iOS can, at best, tell you temperature and a very rough view of the current weather. The Android weather widgets show you a ton of info at a glance with no more effort than a swipe, if that. However, it's good to see you supporting live icons, which are, of course, widgets.
Widgets for mail? LOL.
So, clearly, you don't care to check your mail. Seeing it in a swipe is vastly easier that opening the Mail app and navigating to the Inbox messages, then closing it back up to go to see something else.
Calendar widget? Yes, I need to have all my appointments constantly on my home screen.
Some of us have more in our lives, it seems.

Being able to check almost anything I want in a few swipes is a time saver. There is no good argument against it. There is no way opening multiple apps and switching betweent them is more time efficient.

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
Just got the Nexus 7 after selling my iPad 2.

Short and sweet: Android is great, but very unpolished when compared to iOS. I'm happier with it on my tablet than I was with the iPad 2. But for my phone I want something reliable, polished and working just as it should. I would never depend on Android for that.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Short and sweet: Android is great, but very unpolished when compared to iOS. I'm happier with it on my tablet than I was with the iPad 2. But for my phone I want something reliable, polished and working just as it should. I would never depend on Android for that.

What is unreliable and doesn't works to not depend on it?

otherjobs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Unfortunately, Android is in fragmentation hell. A lot of people could never update their devices. I wonder how much people at old 2.3 at the moment.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Since I have my Galaxy S2 and now S3, both these phones can go on for months (yes you heard it right) without crashing, self-reboot or slowdown.

I would say Android is as dependable as iOS now (since ICS). Just let the old wife's tale (that Android is very unstable) remains at that.

otherjobs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
58%

But I don't know what makes that a fragmentation hell? Do you really know what fragmentation means?

When a huge number on people uses old, outdated versions, and there are several popular old versions amoung them.

Android_chart.png

You see, only a few Android users have the opportunity to use the latest Jelly Bean,
while most iPhone users have latest iOS without problem.

Most of these Android users would never have the ability to install a newer version of Android,
with fixed bugs and other valuable improvements, to their device.

So, if you are buying a new Android phone, be prepared that you might not ever get even a single minor update. :eek:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
You see, only a few Android users have the opportunity to use the latest Jelly Bean,
while most iPhone users have latest iOS without problem.

And you're forgetting that most of the core apps in Android are not tied to the OS update, they are independent.

So, perhaps you don't have Android 4.1 but you have the same app features in GMail or Maps than those.

iOS core apps are tied to the OS update.

What fragmentation hell? Do you really know what fragmentation means?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
58%

But I don't know what makes that a fragmentation hell? Do you really know what fragmentation means?

Fragmentation means I can't run many of the games and apps on my Android tablet running ICS.

Some games/apps only run on my android phone running gingerbread.
Some games/apps only run on my android tablet running ICS.

Big mess.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Fragmentation means I can't run many of the games and apps on my Android tablet running ICS.

Some games/apps only run on my android phone running gingerbread.
Some games/apps only run on my android tablet running ICS.

Big mess.

Yap, because ALL of the games in the Apple App store runs in every iOS device and in every iOS version, really?

By the way, the source code for 4.2 is in the repository

Last edited:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Yap, because ALL of the games in the Apple App store runs in every iOS device and in every iOS version, really?

Nothing close to the mess on Android side.

Not even close.

I have an android tablet and android phone. Tablet running ICS and phone running gingerbread. What works and what doesn't.

Just some game examples.

NBA Jam
tablet - YES
phone - NO

MADDEN NFL 12
tablet - NO
phone - YES

FIFA 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

Plants vs. Zombies
tablet - NO
phone - YES

TETRIS
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Worms
tablet - NO
phone - YES

Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit
tablet - NO
phone - NO

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12
tablet - YES
phone - NO

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline
tablet - NO
phone - NO

N.O.V.A. 2
tablet - NO
phone - NO

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
And you're forgetting that most of the core apps in Android are not tied to the OS update, they are independent.

This seems to be what most people miss, I have a older tablet still on 2.3, it is still getting updates to the google apps (mail, maps etc)

Another thing to look at is the carrier versions on android, my GSII went from 2.3 to 4.0 and it still looks exactly the same

personally, I think all this complaining about different version is overblown

you buy a device with the features you want, if it doen's get the latest update, are you losing features you did have

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.