Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
a lot of people rag on Samsung for having cartoonish looking icons on Touchwiz, IMO stock Android's icons aren't much better. They are on par with the cartoonish looks of Tocuhwiz.

I think they're much better than Samsung's icons. Cartoony? Sure. Google's always kind of been colorful/cartoony. But not much better than Samsung's default icons? Couldn't disagree more! They're much better.

Either way, I use this icon changer app, and this icon pack. Makes me happy. :)

ICON CHANGER: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jy.iconchanger.ad&hl=en

MOONSHINE ICON PACK: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nexbit.icons.moonshine&hl=en

Reactions: cbobb123

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think they're much better than Samsung's icons. Cartoony? Sure. Google's always kind of been colorful/cartoony. But not much better than Samsung's default icons? Couldn't disagree more! They're much better.

Either way, I use this icon changer app, and this icon pack. Makes me happy. :)

ICON CHANGER: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jy.iconchanger.ad&hl=en

MOONSHINE ICON PACK: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nexbit.icons.moonshine&hl=en

So that app just changes the color? They re still too big and some are square, some are rectangular some are different size. Awful. Nova has much, much better icon packs.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
M has multi window (it is hidden) :O

gYIXoZ3.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/37nj3y/looks_like_multiwindow_support_made_it_into_the_m/

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So that app just changes the color? They re still too big and some are square, some are rectangular some are different size. Awful. Nova has much, much better icon packs.

You mean Moonshine? Just changing the color compared to what, stock Android app icons? I guess so.

For S6 users, though, it changes some of the god awful TouchWiz icons to the near-stock Android icons of Moonshine. :)

----------

I read that multi-window is buggy. Maybe that's why Google didn't present it. But glad it's there somewhere. Hopefully by the time it actually comes out, it'll be fully baked and ready.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Sweet. Does it work by default for all apps is the important question...or do developers have to code their apps specifically to use it?

from what I read it works with every app, but yes has buggy issues

these previews make me want to get a nexus next time around!

they are getting monthly OTA's this time around apprantly

I also learned that you can make a change that requires root that will allow touchwiz multiwindow to work with all apps

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Eh they all copy each other. It only makes things beter is all. I dont care who copies what as long as they arent suing each other.

Yes, but it REALLY winds me up when Apple and it's fans go on the endless rampage of intellectual property stealing and suing everyone left right and centre. It's so utterly hypocritical, and then we have them refusing to pay Ericsson for the use of it's patents and technology.. grrrr.

I utterly agree they all copy each other, and I utterly agree it's great as it makes them work harder to push the envelope. It's just the hypocrisy.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes, but it REALLY winds me up when Apple and it's fans go on the endless rampage of intellectual property stealing and suing everyone left right and centre. It's so utterly hypocritical, and then we have them refusing to pay Ericsson for the use of it's patents and technology.. grrrr.

I utterly agree they all copy each other, and I utterly agree it's great as it makes them work harder to push the envelope. It's just the hypocrisy.

Opposite applies, too. Android fans are quick to point out iPhone features that Android has had "for years", but then are confused when Apple fans point out their battery life is so much better.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Opposite applies, too. Android fans are quick to point out iPhone features that Android has had "for years", but then are confused when Apple fans point out their battery life is so much better.

I'm not confused as I haven't had an iPhone since late 2010 so I don't know about the battery except what I see here but I do know that there is more going on with Android to power up. One of them I think Apple is going to get next is haptic feedback. I actually really like that feature.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I agree both sides calling copy cat is lame and unnecessary, but to be fair, I believe it primarily happens on the android side simply because the apple side -- both the company and its fans -- are the accusers first. Yes, I'm invoking the "he started it!" argument because well, apple started it. Not literally, but they are the ones that made it common place to accuse people of copying. They aren't wrong, but it did start from there.

And the reaction when it happens the other way is simply android fans calling out the hypocrisy. Mostly anyway. Now it's all out of control on both sides.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Cool thanks Guys. I'll wait for your feedback on it before I flash mine :)

In case you still need more feedback and still haven't installed it, I've got some to share.

On my Nexus 5 it is almost perfect. In fact, I would say the M developer preview is less buggy and more refined than 5.1.1 was. That being said, I have had two very minor issues - the SystemUI Tuner is still buggy and some toggles such as Airplane mode will not appear there, but will appear in a random location in your quick settings. Also, if you add a tile back, it will crash so you'll need to restore defaults and edit it again. The issue was with Google Fit, where it wouldn't let me login and sync data. It may have been a one time issue however, since it started working after a few reboots.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yep 10% of devices only on Lollipop after nearly a year is sad, they need to make Android M significant to the 90+% of people who likely will never see it.

A year? No, it was released about 6.5 months before you made this post. It is now 7 months old.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A year? No, it was released about 6.5 months before you made this post. It is now 7 months old.

Yeah was corrected on that earlier, it just seems to have been around because they announced it well before it was eventually released and everyone was talking lollipop that it feels like its been around longer than it has :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Here's a question:

In the latest Google keyboard update, what happened to the option for "aggressive" auto correction? It's gone it seems. Didn't there use to be a setting where you could choose how aggressive the auto correcting behaves?

No more?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Here's a question:

In the latest Google keyboard update, what happened to the option for "aggressive" auto correction? It's gone it seems. Didn't there use to be a setting where you could choose how aggressive the auto correcting behaves?

No more?
It is there in the m preview at the very least

cJxhQLa.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Here's a question:

No more?

It is there in the m preview at the very least

cJxhQLa.jpg

Can't find it on my Nexus 6 (lollipop) either - I just get text correction window no option for this at all

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can't find it on my Nexus 6 (lollipop) either - I just get text correction window no option for this at all

Same.

Google... Da hell? I noticed auto correction isn't as good now. Why would they REMOVE features? Why would they downgrade?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Hangouts finally joins the Material design. It's great.

Article with APK download if you can't wait: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...4-0-for-android-will-start-rolling-out-today/

VERGE Article: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/10/9126489/hangouts-4-android-material-design-update-google

"In addition to the design changes, Google says that Hangouts 4.0 for Android should send messages faster and more reliably. The update also adds back in the ability to set custom status messages, and it's supposed to be less of a drain on battery."

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My only gripe with the new Hangouts is that the send picture icons have their own row now, which means less reading space in the conversation. Da heck.

Google really wants you to get larger screen devices. =T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.