Android Market to Offer 24-Hour Return Policy on Apps

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In the wake of recent announcements regarding upcoming mobile application stores on platforms other than the iPhone, additional details about these new stores are beginning to come to light.

Notably, Androinica reports that Google's Android Market is offering a 24-hour return policy on application purchases.
    Androinica also points out several other items of interest in the Android Market Business and Program Policies document, including the lack of application upgrades within the market, meaning that users will have to obtain upgrades directly from developers. Google also reveals that all billing disputes related to app purchases must be directed to the developers or payment providers, not Google.

Article Link: Android Market to Offer 24-Hour Return Policy on Apps

2. Guest

Sky Blue

Apple needs this!

3. macrumors member

So Android has a download and separate install process? Yeah, I'm gonna go with "That's exactly what Apple DOESN'T need."

It's a wonder that there have been virtually no other andriod devices announced. What a garbage platform.

4. macrumors 68000

Cop.

Out.

I swear google gets more and more wimpy and more and more "the emperor has no clothes" each month that goes by.

When you only have a dozen apps in the store you would think it would be easy to handle this sort of stuff..

:rolleyes:

5. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

There is a good and a bad in this. On the good side, if you buy and app and it sucks you have no loss of money. On the bad side, anyone can download an app whenever they need a game to play when they are bored and then simply return it. Just as there is with pretty much everything else, there will be users who abuse this system. Hopefully you can only return an app once.

Also, I am still not impressed with the whole android market.

6. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

So, you can try it out, then dump it at no cost to you. Glad I don't have Google stock anymore...:eek:

7. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

Try using a G1. I go onto the Market App, find an app I like, hit download, it downloads in the background like Safari. Notifies you when it's done and you install it like a normal installer. You get to read what core processes the app uses as a security precaution and its installed. You can choose to open it or continue shopping. Its nice having background processes like this, I can go on my way and come back to it later.

Now I get a return policy, woo hoo!

The devices haven't been announced yet, like new iPhones haven't been announced yet. Here are the companies releasing Android devices THIS YEAR:

HTC (they make the G1 now, and the G2 is coming)
    Lenovo
    Sony Ericsson (Android + Cybershot + Walkman, I will own)
    Huawei Tech
    Motorola
    Samsung
    Archos
    Dell (maybe)
    Kogan Tech (postponed)

Don't go knocking things you haven't tried. I can knock windows, because I use them, I can knock Dell, because I've supported them. I cannot knock the PalmPre because I have not used one, so I do not know. Android is Linux based and a lot more robust then many people have let on.

8. macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

As is OS X, both Mac and iPhone/iPod Touch versions. It borrows heavily from FreeBSD and Apple actually "donate" code back to the BSD developers to use in the BSD OS.

However, with you all the way on the 'not bashing things you ain't tried' front. The Palm Pre looks bad ass, blatantly manufactured to "assassinate" the iPhone it seems, but looks amazing. Will definitely be trying one when they hit UK shores, probably exclusively to 02 like a certain other phone ;)

9. macrumors regular

OS X is not Linux-based. It is UNIX.

Linux is a "Unix-like" operating system.

10. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Nice

It'd be nice for users if Apple offered a "return" (more like early delete) policy. It'd keep devs honest as well. You make a crashy, featureless piece of junk, a hundred million people might buy it, but a hundred million people have recourse too.

Items with too high a return could possibly be eliminated from the app store as well.

11. macrumors member

Sorry to walk all over your rant, but Apple ALREADY has this. Nearly every application I buy for my iPhone I purchase from iTunes on my computer, then install at my convenience. As miketcool said, it's nice to be able to keep shopping for apps while something you just bought downloads in the background. The "purchase, wait for install, purchase, wait for install..." method directly from the iPhone just doesn't do it for me. And since I don't have 3G coverage in my area, I rarely purchase any apps while I'm away from home.

12. macrumors 6502

Yeah hopefully there is a limit on the amount of times you can return an app.

Just buy it, return it before 24 hours and then buy it again and keep doing this....:rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68020

sunfast

SEGA would have been £5.99 worse off if this was the case - they would've had Super Monkey Ball back from me rather fast

14. macrumors newbie

Mr. Owl

Got to agree with that... but some sort of way to delete an application within a specific time frame and get your money back needs to be implemented on the iPhone.

I just bought this "Distance Meter Pro" application... only thing I'm finding it's good for is putting a good deal of distance between me and the $2.99 I spent on the darn thing.

15. macrumors newbie

Mr. Owl

With Leopard you can't even say UNIX-Based anymore, they made it fully UNIX compliant. Exactly what that means to me or any other average user... well, I couldn't fully explain that and wouldn't pretend to know.

Can't help but being better than any flavor of Linux I've tried...

16. macrumors 6502

As others have addressed, the same process happens through iTunes too

Also, Android is very popular among college groups learning systems and programming for systems. There's some very neat stuff coming out in the pipeline for it

17. macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I hope the iPhone gets updated soon... I think Apple will hit it out of the park.

18. macrumors P6

twoodcc

seems like a good idea. though that wouldn't help the developers very much

19. macrumors 65816

Exactly. buyer remorse much.

20. macrumors member

Jess.H

No kidding. There are a ton of apps that aren't nearly as good as I expected once I've played around with them for a bit.

21. macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

I've been saying this for a while now, there should be a "trial" period the same way that we can rent movies from the iTunes store! It's like drop/add for classes, you try it out, if you don't like it, you stop going with no pentalty - in this case it would be you have 24 hours to try out the app if you select the "trial" option for FREE, and if you don't purchase it, then it automatically deletes itself from your phone. How hard could that be? It's no use going by just ratings as a way to decide whether or not to download an app - I'm tired of idiotic people that don't know how to use their iPod touches giving good iPhone apps one star because they don't know how to open it and giving horrible apps 5 stars because they don't understand anything about functionality, productivity, or efficiency.

22. macrumors 6502

As a buyer, I'd like to be able to return apps... but as a developer, I hate the idea.

Why?

1) Impulse buying. I do it myself... I just go browsing the store and buy a few games that look cool. I might play them for 10 minutes and be done with it forever. There's nothing wrong with the stuff I downloaded, I just 'get the general idea' and want to move on to something new (like Rolando). With a refund system, we'd all get too critical and we'd end up returning most games after we experienced the gimmick.

2) Hell, in 24 hours you could beat any iPhone game out there right now. If you were that cheap, you could buy a game, play through it, and simply return it an hour or two later. That's not fair to the developers...

3) Apple doesn't have to stick to the 24 hour refund period exactly... they could instead limit it to 5 minutes of playtime or something. That's a decent compromise... sales would be down across the board still, and it might cause some developers to front-load their games, or instinctively make the first 5 minutes essentially one big advertisement for the rest of the game (bragging about features/items/maps that lay beyond the first 5 minutes).

4) Apple should instead add a new category to the app store - Demos. These would be where all of the "Lite" applications go. Encourage developers to submit demos with their full application submission. Maybe even offer an extra incentive... like instead of 70/30 profit sharing, make it 71/29 if you provide a demo. I don't know. Maybe only demos get featured, then. Something.

But then, it's not fair having an app store with such a poor review system. No dates on any reviews... nice. No way for the developer to respond to any reviews, or to contact the reviewer... nice...

Adding a refund system like Google's would be the final nail in the coffin.

And let's face it... a refund system would be costing Apple money, too. I don't think they're likely to implement one for that reason, but they can certainly go down some other paths...

23. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

This is the same concept behind shareware which has existed since the dawn of man. It's a good thing because it'll force developers to put more effort into their apps instead of churning out dozen of $0.99 pieces of crap like in the App Store :)

24. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    It's been common for years to have trial software on other platforms. The period is often two weeks or more. (Slingplayer's trial is a month.)

That gives enough time to really see if the app is better than others like it, and/or just to see if it's as useful to you as you thought.

However, I can see not allowing a long trial period for games... and perhaps for cheap stupid or trick apps that you'd only use a couple of times anyway for fun.

25. macrumors regular

Cracked Apps

*havent read other post. i have food time now.*
    Cons: (for apple)
    The only probably i can see with apple adopting this is people buying cracking and returning. So untill apple makes a fix for cracked apps ( a real fix ) this idea for apple would prompt a lot more cracking.

Pros:(for apple)
    I would loveee to be able to try some things because theres been few apps i have seen a on a friends phone, thought it would be worth the money, but when i try it, its not. tetris is one of the few i think is worth the money

""4) Apple should instead add a new category to the app store - Demos. These would be where all of the "Lite" applications go. Encourage developers to submit demos with their full application submission. Maybe even offer an extra incentive... like instead of 70/30 profit sharing, make it 71/29 if you provide a demo. I don't know. Maybe only demos get featured, then. Something.""

Perfect i think