Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Root is now available for Android N. This is a must have for me on Android. I cannot stand the ads in websites and applications.
You won't be able to avoid ads on websites by rooting. Nor will it remove ads from Apps. Neither of those complaints have anything to do with Android. Apple suffers the same issue. Paying for ad free apps solves that, but ad-blocking apps for Web sites are hit and miss.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Android N will be great for tablets, which is great for me because competition breeds innovation.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
You won't be able to avoid ads on websites by rooting. Nor will it remove ads from Apps. Neither of those complaints have anything to do with Android. Apple suffers the same issue. Paying for ad free apps solves that, but ad-blocking apps for Web sites are hit and miss.
Huh? I've always downloaded Adaway (and other ads blockers) and it asked for root permission.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Anybody here actually own a Pixel C and brave enough to try the N preview on it? I'm likely handing off my Air 2 to my daughter, already get the iOS experience on my phone and iPP, but still like the 10" form factor for general consumption and light productivity. While the harshest criticism of the Pixel C seemed to be the continued inferior tablet experience on Android, it seems that N really improves this with the newest feature, especially multi-window. Plus, I'd like to dip my foot back into the Android pool (my G Pad GPE is showing it's age and still on Lollipop) but don't need another phone.

Getting the 25% developer discount has me considering giving one a go and wondered if anyone else has some first hand experience they could share.

Reactions: gotluck

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Anybody here actually own a Pixel C and brave enough to try the N preview on it? I'm likely handing off my Air 2 to my daughter, already get the iOS experience on my phone and iPP, but still like the 10" form factor for general consumption and light productivity. While the harshest criticism of the Pixel C seemed to be the continued inferior tablet experience on Android, it seems that N really improves this with the newest feature, especially multi-window. Plus, I'd like to dip my foot back into the Android pool (my G Pad GPE is showing it's age and still on Lollipop) but don't need another phone.

Getting the 25% developer discount has me considering giving one a go and wondered if anyone else has some first hand experience they could share.
If you get it and don't like it I'll take it off your hands

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Anybody here actually own a Pixel C and brave enough to try the N preview on it?

Aye, I do... Looks and feels mostly like MM so far, with the odd app incompatibility (Skype doesn't work, Evernote can be stroppy in spilt screen). No show stopping crashes as yet and it's really really good.

The hardware itself is fantastic, and although it's obviously meant to be a Chromebook, it's top notch. Didn't bother leaving MM on and went straight for the N preview after charging it.

Given how much I use my Chromebook and MBA 11 right now, I could easily use this for everything!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I finally got root working on latest Android N update. I was able to install Adaway and block ads! This is much needed for ESPN and March Madness apps.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Debating trying out N to test the new features.

Can anyone confirm if the Google Now Launcher within the beta has the "normalize icons" feature?

I quite like the Google Now launcher but the random icon sizes on the public release drives me nuts. For me it would be worth running the beta just for this alone. I know I could use Nova, but I'd prefer not to.

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Had to go back to Marshmallow on the Pixel C... couldn't use Cisco AnyConnect, Skype and a couple of other apps, all of which I needed for testing at work. Will give it another go after another code drop or so from Google, at which point things will have improved (for me, anyway).

Have to say though, what I managed to work out so far is that it's got the makings of a good solid move forward, and that the multi-tasking (and the freeform version, hopefully) are a game changer for me.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Wow, love the new folder design options from android N.

ap_resize.php

nexus2cee_Screenshot_20160413-134358-668x403.png

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Actually that's false. You can completely remove ads from apps and websites on rooted Android . I done it plenty of times, especially using Xposed Modules.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Adguard works perfectly on N. It's not free, but it blocks all ads and doesn't require root.

On another note, who else is enjoying N? I've got it running on a 6p and am impressed with how stable it is.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Adguard works perfectly on N. It's not free, but it blocks all ads and doesn't require root.

On another note, who else is enjoying N? I've got it running on a 6p and am impressed with how stable it is.
yep running it as well...no with issues. Love how it is just an OTA.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Again, I love how Google updates some of their key and core apps throughout the year with major things.

The gesture control on the spacebar for cursor movement is their reaction to the 3D Touch feature on iOS. Sounds promising. Plus many more additional features I wish the iOS keyboard had.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...y-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/
Google Keyboard Gets A Huge Update To v5.0 With One-Handed Mode, Optional Key Borders, New Gestures, And More [APK Download]

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/02/google-keyboard-gets-a-huge-update-to-v5-0-with-one-handed-mode-optional-key-borders-new-gestures-and-more-apk-download/

• Option to show key border, no more holo themes
  • One-handed mode
  • Long-press for hinted symbols can be toggled
  • Adjustable keyboard height in settings
  • New first-run experience
  • Opt-in and a setting for sharing snippets with Google to improve the keyboard for everyone
  • Long-press and drag to remove suggestions from suggestion bar
  • Gesture Typing:
    • Dynamic floating preview removed (preview in suggestion bar now)
    • Delete whole words by sliding left from delete key
    • Gesture cursor control by sliding left/right on space bar
  • Faster access to numpad and emoji

APK LINK: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-keyboard/google-keyboard-5-0-18-121010836-release/

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do find it strange that Google are incorporating some rather niche customisation features whilst ignoring absolutely basic ones in Android N ...

The fact you still can't choose a different lock screen to home screen wallpaper for example ....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Do find it strange that Google are incorporating some rather niche customisation features whilst ignoring absolutely basic ones in Android N ...

The fact you still can't choose a different lock screen to home screen wallpaper for example ....

Yeah that's strange.

The keyboard, so far, is terrific. Great update. The gestures work really well. I only wish you could scroll up and down with the space-bar cursor gesturing.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013

That's included in android N.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The only obnoxious thing is "English" is written across the space bar. Not sure if there's a way to get rid of it. Why is that there if there's only one language option selected?

Thanks, Google. I know I'm typing in English. :rolleyes:

The hold and swipe to delete whole words is brilliant. You can highlight whole words very accurately and easily for editing. When you let go, the highlighted portion disappears, but, there's still an option in the suggestion bar to "undo" so to speak.

Well done.

What you can't see here is that my thumb is still holding down and sliding left from the Del key as I continue selecting whole word text:

tNiqJJkl.png

When I let go, the text is deleted.

But accidentally deleted too much? Get it right back in the suggestion bar. Nifty "undo"-like feature!

0tW5Uspl.png

I can also say that gesture typing is now much more accurate and reliable than before.

Again, well done Google. Just let us remove the stupid "English”from the spacebar.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The only obnoxious thing is "English" is written across the space bar. Not sure if there's a way to get rid of it. Why is that there if there's only one language option selected?

Thanks, Google. I know I'm typing in English. :rolleyes:

The hold and swipe to delete whole words is brilliant. You can highlight whole words very accurately and easily for editing. When you let go, the highlighted portion disappears, but, there's still an option in the suggestion bar to "undo" so to speak.

Well done.

What you can't see here is that my thumb is still holding down and sliding left from the Del key as I continue selecting whole word text:

tNiqJJkl.png

When I let go, the text is deleted.

But accidentally deleted too much? Get it right back in the suggestion bar. Nifty "undo"-like feature!

0tW5Uspl.png

I can also say that gesture typing is now much more accurate and reliable than before.

Again, well done Google. Just let us remove the stupid "English”from the spacebar.

Some very cool features indeed. The swipe to highlight and delete from the delete key is terrific. Using the spacebar to navigate is not as well implemented as it feels like you have to slide quite far to move a short distance and quickly run out of space. Apple's solution here is better as it allows navigation around the entire field but then again, iOS keyboard doesn't have gesture typing. Only other minor beef is that accessing the one handed typing mode and keyboard setting via a long press on the comma key is unintuitive as there is no labeling whatsoever...I found it completely by accident.

Otherwise I'm enjoying it. Think I like it better than Swiftkey at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Some very cool features indeed. The swipe to highlight and delete from the delete key is terrific. Using the spacebar to navigate is not as well implemented as it feels like you have to slide quite far too move a short distance and quickly run out of space. Apple's solution here is better as it allows navigation around the entire field but then again, iOS keyboard doesn't have gesture typing. Only other minor beef is that accessing the one handed typing mode and keyboard setting via a long press on the comma key is unintuitive as there is no labeling whatsoever...I found it completely by accident.

Otherwise I'm enjoying it.. Think I like it better than Swiftkey at the moment.

I agree.

I've already uninstalled chrooma keyboard, my favorite keyboard to use prior. And I'm now on the new stock keyboard full time with Google voice support.

This update is such a huge improvement to an already amazing stock keyboard. I'm already putting to good use the gestures. Once learned, they're so effective. Gesture typing accuracy is also hugely improved.

Just... that goddamn "English" on the spacebar. Why, Google? Why?

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Is it ?!! That's great news. At long last ....

I wonder now Google has rolled out Android N to Z3, would they expand to other devices. Be so cool if we had the option of running it on other devices.

Odd that of all devices, they roll it out to that one...

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just... that goddamn "English" on the spacebar. Why, Google? Why?

Yet, and as I mentioned, no indicator showing how to access keyboard settings or one-handed mode. :confused:

Obviously not a deal breaker but mildly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.