anemic airport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BiggeeC, Oct 12, 2005.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Hey all. I got me a problem here, need some advice.

My airport card (the old one-not extreme) on my G3 700 mhz ibook doesn't want to work all the time. It fades in and out, sometimes going to half strength, then full, then nothing. I've tried moving it around my apartment, removing it/putting it back in, using it directly next to my router. I've ran hardware test, and it said everything was ok. My sawtooth internet is fine (although it's a direct link--not wireless) I have no problems with slow down on the desktop. Does anyone know what the deal is? Is my airport card moving towards the light?

oh yeah, I have a linksys 108.11g router, if that is needed.

gracias

2. texlaw04 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me with a D-Link PCMCIA card...suffice it to say that my D-Link card (and router) have gone the way of the dinosaur, whereas my ancient Linksys card is still alive and kicking with my cheapo Iogear router running strong. You should not have problems connecting with the unit within a foot of the router, nor should you have inconsistent signal under those conditions.

3. northernleitz macrumors member

If you have a friend with a wireless-enabled laptop, you could check his signal against yours in the same location... or take your iBook to a wireless hotspot to see if you can replicate the problem in a new setting away from your wireless router @ home. If it is your wireless router, just get a new Airport card for your Power Mac and set it up as a software base station... easily done in the sharing pane of system preferences.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you mean an ad-hoc network? They're pretty awkward to use unless you keep your Macs (both of them) running 24/7. Also, their range is pretty poor.

We need to determine whether it's a problem with the Mac or the router so as northernleitz suggests, test the router out with a friend's machine if possible. Also test your machine out on other wireless networks if possible. :)

5. northernleitz macrumors member

Duh... ad-hoc? Hang on a second... yep, ad-hoc. Can you explain the awkwardness? Without the Latin? I am going to set up a brand-new iMac as a base station in our library and would like your input. I've done airport sharing in the past--temporarily--and although it was slower than ethernet, I found its range satisfactory for, say, a large classroom.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ad-hoc is the proper networking name, but apologies for the Latin all the same. :eek:

As for the awkwardness, I was of the understanding that it had to be set up each time it was needed and it was turned off if a computer was put to sleep or shut down whereas a proper network with a router (wireless or otherwise) will automatically connect upon start/wake up.

Plus, the range is quite a bit worse.

I recommend getting a router, not necessarily from Apple though.

7. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Check there's nothing else causing interference - mobile phone, microwave, cordless phone, bluetooth devices etc, or maybe you live near a phone mast?? If there is interference, turn on Interference Robustness, which will filter out weak signals. Of course it might filter out the one signal you actually want.