Angela Ahrendts May Delay Apple Start Until Mid-Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Burberry chief executive Angela Ahrendts resigned last October from the British luxury fashion house to join Apple as the head of its retail division. According to The Guardian, Ahrendts is free to leave Burberry this month, having fulfilled her six-month notice period, but her actual exit date is not yet known.

Ahrendts may be staying longer at Burberry to help smooth the transition over to her successor Christopher Bailey, who is currently serving as the company's chief creative officer. Money also may be a factor in Ahrendts leaving as she is slated to receive a two million pound bonus in June for her recent performance as Burberry CEO.
    Another factor may be Ahrendts' critical role in Burberry's revamped Japanese business strategy, which involves severing long-term apparel licensing agreements in 2015 and creating its own distribution system in the important Asian market. Burberry is expected to confirm this plan as part of the company's annual report next month.

Ahrendts will join Apple as the Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores, a position that has seen significant turnover in the past several years. In 2011, Ron Johnson left Apple for J.C. Penney, after building up Apple's retail presence during his 11-year tenure. Johnson was replaced by Dixons CEO John Browett, who served less than a year at Apple.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts May Delay Apple Start Until Mid-Year

2. macrumors 68000

Aluminum213

She's turned Burberry around for sure, it's amazing the growth it's had over the last few years

One of the FEW good moves in the Tim Cook era

3. macrumors member

I think I'd hang on a couple of months longer for £2,000,000 too!

4. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's all to easy to be critical, but in fact we know almost nothing about the inner workings of Apple (or any other company), and not especially at the top levels where the big fish swim. It's a wild guess at who will work out and who will fail. Ron Johnson, who was so successful at Apple, was a total disaster at JC Penny, and contrary to the partisan feelings in places like this, it wasn't the company's fault. Of course we hope Ahrendts will work out at Apple but we really don't know yet whether her skills will translate to this assignment.

5. macrumors 6502

£2 million pounds just to stay?
    Are Burberry made of money?

6. macrumors 6502

scbn

Hmmm... She's been so successful over there. What motivated her to leave her current position? Maybe she'll be the next CEO for Apple?

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Follow the money.

8. macrumors 68000

She's a sexy version of the president of caprica

9. macrumors 6502

from Burberry CEO to Apple SVP

downgrade!

10. macrumors 604

Piggie

11. macrumors 68000

Aluminum213

Not when you compare the net worth of both firms

12. macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Smaller title, but in a bigger ship. There's got to be compelling reasons for her to move to . No question she's thought it through and negotiated to suit her.

13. macrumors G5

Rogifan

How so? Apple retail has more employees and generates more revenue than Burberry.

14. JAT
    macrumors 603

CCO? Is that a new thing?

15. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

i dont think thats quite accurate. tim hasnt had any grandiose moments, but he hasnt made too many missteps.
    sure the first replacement for the svp of retail position was a bomb

but other than that, and the maps fiasco, which he inherited from Jobs, he's done a pretty good job...

iOS 7 was a transition, like every other big transition, there will be rough patches. See: intel transition, os X transition, XP to Vista transition etc etc

16. macrumors 68040

KdParker

What happened with Browlett that he flamed out in one year?

17. macrumors 68020

She does kind of look like President Adar. Surely you didn't mean Laura Roslin; she was just an opportunistic school teacher dictator.

18. macrumors 68020

that's her annual bonus. It's usually given when someone meets or exceeds their goals. A lot of companies do that on annual basis. At least she does something, there are many useless Wall Street execs who get that on quarterly basis for doing absolutely nothing.

If I were her, I'd stay until I get my bonus ;-)

19. macrumors member

So is apple supposed to just wait until she is ready to leave her current position? She accepted a job gave a start date surly she should be held to that. Guess retail can continue to run as it always does without a leader. Let's see how long she lasts.

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We don't know the entire story about Browett, but the sense I got was that he was hired to apply some of his mass-market retail knowledge to making Apple Retail more efficient, and got canned for actually trying to do it. Maybe he tried to do too much too quickly. That was Johnson's apparent mistake at JC Penny.

21. macrumors 6502

She has punctuality issues. Fire her.

22. macrumors 65816

dec.

Which start date was mentioned in the contract that she signed?

23. macrumors regular

AppleGuesser

I can't remember a start date being reported. I am sure she has one, but does it really matter? I feel like Apple can be flexible right now and wait a few extra weeks. Its not like retail is tanking and the holiday shopping is right around the corner. :)

24. macrumors 68020

It will be tight though, if she starts in say Mid June, and the new iPhone is release mid September... are 3 months enough? Maybe they are thinking more long term

25. macrumors Core

alphaod

Less than a couple months. Basically a little over one!