Angry at

Discussion in 'Games' started by pgc6000, Mar 11, 2005.

1. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I'm pretty pissed off at FilePlanet. I was trying to access their site, but it was so damn slow and buggy my laptop just froze and I had to remove the battery while it was still running. But to my horror my hardrive was completely fried. Everything lost. Now it's in for repairs (thank god for AppleCare). If I didn't have an iPod all my music in iTunes would be lost too. I have too beat all my games again too. Is it just a coincidence that my laptop crapped out at buggy and slow site or was this FilePlanet's fault? Is this more GameSpy evli (file planet is part of gamespy)? :confused:
  2. YoYoMac macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm a recent switcher, so correct me if I'm confused, but why did you have to remove the battery while the system was running? Couldn't you just turn it off? I'm confused. :eek:
  3. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    Sounds like coincidence to me. I think your drive was defective and it happened to die while you were looking at fileplanet. Sorry, blame the manufacturer and not the website on this one.

Probably should backup more, just a suggestion though.

4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    I was on tonight to get a game patch. I would be skeptical that their website hung up your machine, but their site does suck... bigtime!

While waiting for my estimated 1hr 21m to download this one patch, I decided to look elsewhere for the two patches I needed. I eventually found them elsewhere and got them, but that site is horrible. Filled with ads, attempted pop-ups and other crap.

I give a lot of the blame to the game publishers though. I paid for your frickin' game, I expect you to just give me a direct link to download the patches for the game I gave you my hard-earned money to play. Game publishers should pay up for the bandwidth it is their software. Instead it gets passed off to these file download sites who make money off a billion ads and the off chance someone will pay a few bucks a month to not have to wait in some ridiculous queue.
  5. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Wow. I'm sorry to hear your HD fried, pgc6000. :eek: I wouldn't blame GameSpy, even if they're a nice scapegoat ;)

Let's face it people: GameSpy and their whole network of sites and services just suck. Period. Both PC and Mac users alike have a deep hatred for GameSpy. And most of the PC gamers I talk to never actually appreciated GameSpy's multiplayer networking services. They never knew it existed in the games they play! :eek: Only us Mac gamers got worked up about GameSpy multiplayer services. :D But, those PC gamers do complain about how crappy GameSpy's sites are. So we're all in the same boat :)

Anyhow, there are many alternative ways of downloading movies, patches, demos, etc. from other websites which don't force you into a commitment or have crappily designed sites that work like poop. Just do some Google searching. FilePlanet is always a last resort. Though, I never had any particular problems with them when I used it about a year ago to download some E3 game trailers. *shrugs*
  6. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2004
    Try, or They're the best. If the dont have what you need, they can point you to who will. Plus, they usually know about it before anyone else. They're on my daily web browsing list, great for info.
  7. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    It absolutley just craped out. Nothing would work. Not even the power button.

I guess you guys are right, it probaly wasn't GameSpy's fault. But I'll blame it on them anyway.

But your right AppleKid, GameSpy just sucks. Their website sucks and their and their service sucks.
  8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    Command+Option+Escape didn't work? If not holding the power button until it shut off didn't either?
  9. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Nope, didn't work. My computer went into complete lockdown. He was a good soilder, died in the line of duty. :(
  10. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Dec 8, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    That's probably your hard drive dying right there (Fileplanet probably had nothing to do with it). The same thing happened to me yesterday. One minute I'm writing an email, and the next, my pointer disappeared and the computer froze. I tried rebooting and got the evil "ball bearings of death" sound coming from my hard drive.

Luckilly I was able to use some computer savvy and backup my files without rebooting the machine to the desktop.
  11. pgc6000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Lucky you, I lost everything. Like I said, good thing I had my iPod or all my songs wolud be lost.