Angry Birds Space Launches on iOS and Mac

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Angry Birds Space, the latest installment of the best selling mobile game of all time, has finally arrived. Rovio, the developer behind the series, partnered with NASA, the U.S. space agency, to promote the release, including a plug filmed by an Angry Bird-toting astronaut on the International Space Station.

[​IMG]

Angry Birds Space delivers the biggest change yet in the series' well-known "launch birds out of a slingshot at pigs" gameplay. Instead of dealing with the gravity of just one planet, players are dealing with several. Kotaku explains:
    Angry Birds Space is $0.99 on iPhone and iPod Touch. [Direct Link]
    Angry Birds Space HD is $2.99 on the iPad. [Direct Link]
    Angry Birds Space is $4.99 on the Mac. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Angry Birds Space Launches on iOS and Mac

2. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Am I the only person left on Earth that thinks that Angry Birds is a mediocre game at best? It's really not that entertaining.

3. macrumors regular

Yes. Angry Birds is probably the most fun I've had with a game since the N64 days.

4. macrumors 604

bushido

Wirelessly posted

i have all 4 editions yet im to dumb to finish any of them. im the worst at this game

5. macrumors regular

I played a bit on a friend's phone and can't figure it out... but at least it looks more enjoyable than that Fruit Ninja game that my old roommate and his girlfriend/fiance used to play for HOURS at a time. It was so weird how they'd just sit on the couch and swipe their fingers at airborne fruit for literally an entire evening...

6. macrumors 6502a

djrod

These guys are getting greedy, no Universal App, you have to pay an extra .99 to play the full levels available in the game and you have to pay even more if you want to play with the mighty eagle, up to 19.99 !

7. macrumors 6502a

SBlue1

this may make me try angry birds again. it got boring after a few weeks.

8. macrumors 68000

Greedy? You've got to be kidding! Would you spend thousands of hours developing a game for free? I don't think so.

9. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    This one is pretty good. I've been playing it a lot this morning. I had gotten out of the other 3 versions (I have them all), but this one is very refreshing. Adds a lot of new complex gameplay

10. macrumors 6502

ivladster

Great strategy. Releasing on all available platforms.

11. macrumors member

dear god, people are SO ridiculous entitled nowadays.

12. macrumors 6502

ivladster

Universal app takes a lot of space. Especially with Retina display. You rather pay $4.99 for Universal app or $0.99 for iPhone app and $2.99 for iPad?

Plus your games are not synced across devices, levels you passes on iPhone are still closed on iPad. So there's no real advantage of Universal app.

13. macrumors 6502a

14. macrumors 6502

Oh well, yeah, god forbid that anyone should ever develop a product and actually make money from it. We who spend $1100 minimum for a mac and $499 minimum for a iPad are going to quibble over 99 cents? Please.

15. macrumors 6502a

MJedi

So which version should I get, for iPad or iPhone? :confused: :D

16. GenesisST, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

macrumors 65816

GenesisST

My obligatory link to a The Oatmeal comic:
    http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

17. macrumors 6502a

Can anyone confirm whether or not the iPad version has retina display resolution?

I only have the first Angry Birds for my iPad and I hope that they don't hold out too long (or indefinitely) on upgrading that one.

Also -- the one star reviews in the App Store for this app over the fact that there's an option to pay $1 for extra levels in a $3 game are incredibly charming.

18. macrumors 68020

Diode

Haven't bought a game in a few months - for 99 cents what the heck.

19. macrumors 6502

Only at 1-9 now. This game was done right! It's amazingly fun for geeks!

20. Colpeas, Mar 22, 2012

macrumors 6502

Colpeas

You're right. Nowadays, most of the major games are being released as an universal app, so I don't see a single rational reason why Rovio couldn't do the same with the Angry Birds. Greed is the only possible explanation.
    Just think about it: It is by far the best-selling iOS game or maybe the best-selling iOS app whatsoever. iPad version is basically just upscaled from iPhone. It's the same friggin' game for Christ sakes! Then why on earth does the iPad version cost three times more than the iPhone app!? Why is it not universal? It *IS* technically possible. All those "HD" versions are pissing me off BIG time.

I really hope Apple will issue some kind of regulation against this kind of crooked business manners which will prevent developers from releasing two separate versions and which will force them to universalize their apps.
    Charging the customer twice for a one thing is *NOT* cool.

21. macrumors regular

I have two boards with 2 stars on Seasons and it is driving me insane. Original is complete, haven't tried Rio though (assume that is the other edition you are referring to). As to Space, it has done some really interesting things with the concept, and definitely worth the buy.

Might be different now, but for the first Angry birds, the 'iPad' version was identical to the iPhone version, the only difference was a flag in the .plist to tell it to NOT run full screen.
    Either way, I have to agree that complaining about the price/value of Angry Birds is kinda ridiculous.

22. Lukeyy19, Mar 22, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

anyone know if the iPad version is optimised for the new iPad's display? I can't seem to find whether or not it is on the app store.

I'm thinking of getting it but if it's not optimised, i might just wait until it is and play through it then.

EDIT: found a couple of reviews that said it was, so I downloaded it and yep it looks awesome on the 3rd gen iPad for anyone else interested.

EDIT 2: so after a while of playing, as nice as it looks, a few levels use enlarged versions of the same images for things such as larger plants and bubbles, and these when enlarged are not optimised for the new iPads higher resolution.

look at the bubbles around the pigs on this level.
    [​IMG]

it doesn't really detract from the game, it's just something i noticed.

23. macrumors newbie

I was with you until here. I disagree. It's like saying, "I hope the government makes it illegal for Apple to sell more than one type of mac. They all do the same basic things, so why are they being crooked and selling multiples that do some things better than the others?"

24. macrumors 68000

Bought the game for my iPhone and iPad. Best Angry Birds to date IMO.

25. macrumors 65816

Ditto ... Was addicted to it for a while .... Can't even be bothered to finish the latest 'Original', 'Rio' or 'Season' levels..