Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Pretty nice, love to see it, i have experienced the same anger against Apple but losing your freedom for a tech company not worth it...

It was hilarious watching all those "geniuses" doing absolutely nothing for the store, i'd fired them all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pretty nice, love to see it, i have experienced the same anger against Apple but losing your freedom for a tech company not worth it...

It was hilarious watching all those "geniuses" doing absolutely nothing for the store, i'd fired them all.
As mentioned in the thread, it's rather established and widespread type of corporate policy for employees not to interfere with something like this (other than perhaps employees that are specifically there to deal with security type of issues, if there are any like that). It's quite possible that if an employee was to interfere they might have been fired for not following policy (and that's potentially on top of anything that might have resulted from that interference). Fairly basic and established things in the retail world.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
As mentioned in the thread, it's rather established and widespread type of corporate policy for employees not to interfere with something like this (other than perhaps employees that are specifically there to deal with security type of issues, if there are any like that). It's quite possible that if an employee was to interfere they might have been fired for not following policy (and that's potentially on top of anything that might have resulted from that interference). Fairly basic and established things in the retail world.
What about one of the genious being attacked? Is there a policy for the others to help him or just watch?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What about one of the genious being attacked? Is there a policy for the others to help him or just watch?
When employee and/or customer lives are involved that's a different thing with different policies involved down to basic self-defense. But that's neither here nor there as far as all of this goes.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
When employee and/or customer lives are involved that's a different thing with different policies involved down to basic self-defense. But that's neither here nor there as far as all of this goes.

Good.

Today i visited a brand new Apple store in my country all those iphone 7 standing there...One has to have tons of guts or being very sick to do what that guy did. He'll need psychiatryc help for sure.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Surprised the staff didn't do anything to stop him.
Not surprised at all. He had a petanque ball or boule, which is made of 650 to 800 grams of steel. That can easily turn into a lethal weapon, and if not lethal, create some nasty injuries.

Everything he destroyed isn't exactly cheap, but it is going to be paid for. The employee's life and health is worth a lot more than one or two dozen iPhones. And I mean that literally. An employee hit in the head with a petanque ball can cost millions in the worst case.
[doublepost=1476225519][/doublepost]
People only do this because they have no fear of anybody interfearing. Everyone is afraid to get involved but quick to pull out the camera. I know everyone is not an MMA fighter but any two guys watching that could have stopped him and held him for the cops.
What's the point? He got arrested, got convicted, and he is going to pay for the damages. Over the next years. Stopping him would only mean he pays less damages, and you risk getting yourself hurt. Pulling out a camera is a good idea to get someone convicted beyond both reasonable and unreasonable doubt. Would be different obviously if he attacked people.

Last edited:

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
The guy is obviously disturbed but Apple deserve this considering they are going against EU regulations over customer's rights for refunds. But that's expected from one big fat greedy company like Apple anyway. I can understand how the customer feels but I think he was going a bit over the top by smashing up iPhones and Macs even though Apple deserve it.

Reactions: robotica

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The guy is obviously disturbed but Apple deserve this considering they are going against EU regulations over customer's rights for refunds.
Well, do they? What evidence? How often? Has Apple been convicted or fined? If not, how would Apple "deserve" this?

BTW. The damage to Apple is minimal, because that "disturbed" guy is going to pay for every last Euro of damage.

But that's expected from one big fat greedy company like Apple anyway. I can understand how the customer feels but I think he was going a bit over the top by smashing up iPhones and Macs even though Apple deserve it.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Person has mental health issues. Delusional. Classic case of it. Needs meds most likely. Judge will hopefully have a psych eval. Not a stupid thug, I don't think, as he asked someone to film it. Even thugs are smarter than that, with Instinct. Normal behavior has pretty violent fantasies, but built-in brain functions prevent this type of crap. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: robotica

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Latest news: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/26/boulesarmed_burgundian_iphone_wrecker_hit_with_damages/

"The court decided to hit the now much calmer Serre with damages of €17,758 (£15,880/$19,379), a six-month suspended sentence, two years' probation, and a ban from the shopping mall where he carried out his pétanque-enable phone assault."

Hope he enjoyed it, but I have had more fun for less money.

Apple's lawyers said Serre had launched threats against Apple in the past – in 2010, 2013 and 2014.
Sounds like a bit of a nutcase.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He's the luckiest guy on Earth. If he pulled that cute act in rural America......(just let your imagination run wild).
He'd potentially be let off easy due to a case of something along the lines of "affluenza"?

Reactions: BeeGood

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
This is an extreme case but anyone who has to work with the public e.g. in retail or govt services, has come across people who are unreasonable, angry and/or have a strong sense of entitlement. They believe "the customer is always right " or " I pay your wages so you do what I want". Well, the customer is not always right, sometimes the customer is a jackass and while it is true that you pay my wages that does not mean you can treat me with a lack of respect. I always admired supervisors who would backup staff in such situations and tell the customer to take their business elsewhere

As to the staff not doing anything. I suspect in the interest of their own safety and that of other customers staff were told to not try to stop him. Just like in an armed robbery, let them take the money- stay safe.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
They believe "the customer is always right " or " I pay your wages so you do what I want". Well, the customer is not always right, sometimes the customer is a jackass and while it is true that you pay my wages that does not mean you can treat me with a lack of respect.
Well, "the customer is always right" was explained to me in a different way.

One, if you have the choice between winning an argument (which is the best football team, or the best possible president), and making a sale, then the customer is always right. You lose the argument and make the sale and take the money.

Two, if the customer pays for it, then the customer is always right. Heard from a painter that he painted a house three times until the customer liked it. Customer paid for three paint jobs. In a case like this, the customer is always right. You give the customer what the customer wants, and take the money.

Other than that, no.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Apple deserves much worse when you consider they evade taxes, enforce inferior industry standards (lighting over headphone jack), false advertising (iMac advertised as 4ghz but it cant run that fast because it overheats), commits planned obsolescence, etc.

Now watch Apple fans disagree for some reason.
All Apple deserves for all of that is for irate customers to stop buying their products. Customers with specific grievances should pursue the legal remedies afforded to them. Speaking out in a mature and responsible manner on social media (not a childish rant) would also be an effective and adult response, as many customers have gotten positive responses from companies after stating their problem on Twitter and FB and other outlets.

I have not been happy with iOS 10 and the headphone jack removal so I got a Samsung S7 and an HTC 10 for this upgrade cycle. Apple did not get my money. Apple did not get my husband's money nor his very much of his company's money. In fact, my husband has been a huge volume business customer for over a decade and when he stopped purchasing the usual annual volume of Apple products for his employer this year, and also declined to upgrade to the IPhone 7Plus and went with a Samsung instead, the rep from Apple asked why there was a sudden abrupt decline and why he didn't want an iPhone, so they had a long discussion about it. I don't know if the salient points of their discussion were relayed back to HQ where they could make a difference, but we can hope so. At some point HQ is going to wonder why their reps aren't pulling high level sales volume as before.

This level of senseless violence and vandalism is infantile and illogical and unreasonable and solves nothing. It will be dismissed as the act of a childish and disordered mind and nothing more. I am surprised you would condone such a thing when your observations of Apple's flaws are well ordered and usually quite sensible and adult, though very persistent. Keep in mind I am extremely sympathetic to your point of view, but I don't agree with you on this specific point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.