animal products

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 27, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

is it possible to avoid all animal products?

if so, what do you do/use?

2. coolocity macrumors regular

animal products

There's always pleather.. that's not leather, not from animals at all I don't think. Anything you buy that is tested on animals, you can buy a substitute that was not tested on animals. (Think the new iMac was tested on animals? let's hope not) As for the big "Vegans are stupid, they never get protean." We all know that is a load of junk. Soy is great. Boy oh boy, I can't believe it's soy! Veggie lasagna (sp) is really good, I should get the recipe up here!

- John-o

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think it's somewhat possible to do...but u will have to go to some extreme measures to do so...or so I'd imagine.

Personally, it's not that I'm lazy nor a condoner against animal rights, but damn I just don't have the time & energy to really make an effort. There are way too many conveniences in life to go through the hassle of reworking the way my life is...

4. coolocity macrumors regular

Yeah, I try to go about life as usual, helping where I can. I'm known to opt for that veggie burger here and there.. but I couldn't resist getting leather seats for my car! I could if I got 'em in the summer though, those things are getting sticky :(

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

coolocity! nice. you a vegetarian or just like your soy products?

i've found that soy and "fake meats" have taken the place of meat very well. my mom makes some excellent non meat versions of my old favorites. including something called "pigs in the blanket". it's great...

as for no animal products at all... that's hard. i still have some leather products though i try not to buy any new ones. and the whole tested on animals thing is tough... especially with medicines, where it's tough to decide. but spraying hairspray in an animals' eyes just to see how it will affect humans when they get it in their eyes... is gross.

for animal free clothing, i see it similarly as sweatshop free... basically, it is possible, but takes much effort and looking, and sometimes more money. that said, nike (super sweatshop users) have some of the most expensive damn shoes there are.

in conclusion, it's possible, but tough. we need less lazy eyelikearts making no effort to actually change things.... ha! ;)

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

guess you're not a veggie after all... dang!

leather seats. come on. the animals are raised on huge corporate farms and tortured and killed just so someone can make money off you needing a bit more "style" for your car.

leather always seemed dumb to me. as with veal...

then again, is wool ok? or silk? it's a tough call...

7. coolocity macrumors regular

I tried being veggie, worked for about 6 or so months, then I went to my favorite resteraunt with my family for fathers day... steak, mmmm. Too bad it has to be made of meat, hehe.

8. coolocity macrumors regular

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hear u on this...I have grown so fond of soy & veggie products in the past year. I know they aren't for everyone, but I like them alot.

I don't really care to eat red meat unless it's a filet mignon, so ribs & burgers & such I usually keep away from.

Turkey products are pretty good. I'd have a turkey burger or veggie/soy burger anyday over a beef burger.

Have u tried the "Gimme Lean" breakfast sausage yet by chance??

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

come on.... one meal at a time. it couldn't be easier. if you had some pasta instead of steak, but it still made you full, woudl you really care once you're finished eating? it's just an issue of selfishness (no offense). of course, if one doesn't see a problem, then they probably don't know the facts or don't care....

11. iGav macrumors G3

I'm sure it can be done......

But I could never do it...... I love my skimmed milk too much.... :)

Oh yeah... what is it with milk in the U.S. when I was on the west coast, I stopped in a shop to get a pint to drink..... and they had so many variations... all kinds of versions......!! I couldn't find just standard skimmed milk.... in the end I bought something that was ultra creamy......(it didn't say it was on the carton) Eww.... nasty!! :p

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i now do not eat veal...ever

but about leather...i don't have a leather jacket anymore...so that is a start

but what about shoes? could you give me a few suggestions? and what about dress shoes in black? i don't shop for shoes much so i am fairly ignorant on these topics

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hate to be this way about shoes...but I will not wear synthetic material shoes...

not only do they fail to hold up as well as leather, but they do not breathe like leather...and I hate it when my feet sweat from cheap shoe material... :(

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The whole subject just pisses me off.

Look folks:

The Human metabolism requires ingesting an amino acid FOUND ONLY IN ANIMAL PROTIEN. We can't make it on our own like Herbivores can. If we were herbivores the appendix would be a functional loop of intestine, not a useless place to accumulate bacteria. If we were herbivores we wouldn't have the insectivorous jaw layout and more telling FULL STEREOSCOPIC VISION.

The general body and behavioral layout for a predatory species points ears and eyes foreward and overlaps the field of vision of both eyes allowing for accurate tracking of prey. Additionally Predators are the only animal type that move point A to point B in a straight line. Herbivores travel in sporadic, indirect routes. Our heightened agression and intelligence also betray essentially predatory neurology.

Vegans who are so by choice have an overdevelopped sense of guilt.

True, Veal is bad. True, the industrial farm is bad. SO GO BUY A FARM AND RAISE YOUR OWN. Competition is the American way of changing Industry. If you want to change an American Industry, compete in it. Right now you're just supporting growing Soy beans, which does NOTHING to the livestock industry.

15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: The whole subject just pisses me off.

our teeth indicate we are not primarily meat eaters

our long digestive track also is designed primarily to digest vegetables and fruits

but i don't know if that means all meats are bad for us as human beings

i know if all i ate was meat, i would be dead in ten years before i hit 50...i worked at a hospital for three years and saw more victims of eating too much protein more than victims from cigarettes

red meat kills more than cigarettes so why doesn't red meat come with a surgeon general's warning on the package

top three killers are heart disease, cancer, stroke and red meat is up there in the reason for causing those ailments

i like a balance of meat, carbos, fruits, and vegetables..but i need to eat more of the latter two!

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: The whole subject just pisses me off.

I agree totally. I am a definite meat eater. I eat primarily chicken & turkey. I do get my fill of red meat occasionally at a great steakhouse. I also do like beef jerky (it's low fat & packed with protein) as well as turkey jerky.

I think I agree somewhat with the guilt factor and vegetarianism. It's a natural instinct to eat meats & such. I do think it has a lot to do with conscience telling u that u are killing life to eat meat that causes many people to give it up all together. I dont go for the "meat is the reason why people are dying" factor.

Soy Beans & veggie products are great alternatives. I'm into trying new stuff, so I'm always willing to give them a whirl. It doesn't mean I won't eat regular stuff, but I'll make them an addition my diet...not a replacement within it.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

One of the big problems with live animals being used for protein is that they need to be fed over their lifespan. This food could be better off used for our food. What would be nice is a way to make better quality soy/wheat/vegetable protein products that taste/cook/look like the real thing. We might be lucky and see this in our lifetimes, especially if food supplies become a problem

Any one seen Soylent Green or Brazil? Some interesting scifi films that have some future food related possibilities.

D

18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i keep my animal products to a minimum.

psuedo-leathers are a form of plastic and a great part of our environmental pollution comes from the making of plastics. so a lot of the alternatives have a high price also.

today's sermon:
    buy less, use less, buy used, eat less, travel light, think small
    who says you need it all? :D

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that's a problem in this country...

everyone wants what they want when they want it...and they want excess while their at it...

no one cares about how it's going to affect the future...they just want it all...:rolleyes:

me...personally...I'm frugal when I need to be...and I hate traveling heavy...the less with which I have to deal the better ;)

20. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    everything can be justified by its affordability...

an SUV is great...i can afford the gas.
    a huge house is good...i can afford the materials and the utilities.

self-restraint and the awareness of how one fits into the big picture are sadly not part of the natural human thought process.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

true...but just because u can do something doesn't always mean u need to right? ;)

22. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I've never really understood why PETA comes out and says things like "free the cows!" They don't seem to understand that cows can no longer survive on their own. The males would die from the elements and the females would die from a bacterial infection as a result of not being milked. Freeing the cows would be killing the cows slowly and painfully.

That's my rant for the day.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

great call 3rdpath. you the man.

as for shoes. i wear mine until i can't anymore. i have holes in one pair and the others are falling apart a bit inside. those are just canvas, vans type shoes...

as for dress shoes, i don't know. i haven't gotten any since i became old enough to buy them myself, so i have to look into it. as of now, i don't have any dress shoes though. i borrow my bro's if i need em.

duke- awesome call on the feeding the animals food we could be eating. we give a cow food that could feed a person for several years to get them big, then that one cow makes only so much food, much less than they consumed over their life time. by all reasonable thinking, meat should cost far more than it does, at least far more than veggies. but it is government subsidized to make it more affordable. in china meat is quite expensive, and when i was eating at my chinese friend's house, his dad was astonished that i didn't eat meat by choice, because in china if you can afford it, you eat it. however, it's not that way in america.

as for us being carnivores. our teeth do seem to pint to that we don't need to eat meat. most carnivores (animals) do not cook their food.... we do. which makes it easier to eat generally.... not sure what my point is but oh well. but i do think that if someone has only meat to eat, then they should eat it. i by all means put human life before animals. i just think it's sad that we force feed and over feed animals so that we can have fatter tastier meat, rather than giving that food to other countries. yeah, that's idealistic, i realize.

we don't need to eat meat these days. so i don't. it's that simple..

i don't feel guilty. heck, if anything, i feel guilty often for NOT eating meat. ask any vegetarian that's eaten at a friend's house or anything. they almost definitely have felt bad for NOT eating meat, not the other way around. so that is just ridiculous to think that i don't eat meat cause i feel guilty for eating meat in the past.

ps. i do eat free range turkey on thanksgiving and whatnot. it's expensive, but good.

and 3rdpath. yeah, we need to consume less. but as far as plastics and whatnot being bad... yeah. but also the massive amount of waste produced by factory farmed animals is a huge problem in itself. word up. good thread.

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

unless i'm drunk, that was 3rd's point...

we, especially americans, think that just because we can afford something we should have it

i have 50000 bucks to spend on a car. may as well get a fat suv.. when i could spend 15000 on a less fancy car and the rest on... whatever else.

not a great example but word.

my girlfriend didn't think she'd be able to become a vegetarian.... she tried. and it was a piece of cake. one meal at a time and it's easy. i think the key is you need to care enough to perform that kind of self discipline... but once you decide to do it, it's very very easy. vegan? a whole nother story....

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, lets see. Corporate farms are bad. So, I hunt for my food, but that is bad. So I eat grass? No way. Last night I had a nice big Ribeye. I will mostly hunt for my food in the fall, and use it to live for over 6 months. My whole family can live on two dear a year. We eat meat and veggies. That is how we are made up. I cannot understand why we have to sacrifice things that we, as the superior species on the planet want.

I want an Excursion, and I want to drive it to the mail box and back, just so I can burn more gas. Seriously, at least one day it will all run out, and they will have to find a new way to do things. I just feel like if you want to be a veggie, hey that is great. More power to you. If you want to eat meat. Hey, come on in. Your straight. Nice to know you. Your Gay, whatever floats your boat. You drive an SUV, wow, I drive a Honda, I bet your gas is expensive. Your a lesbian, will you marry me. :cool: :D ;) :p

Point is, yes, some of the things in the world, like veal is unreal, cruel, and horrible. Those types of things should be done away with. You want tender meat. Go get a bow and kill a deer. Best meat in the world anyway. But, am I going to go out of my way, and take time from my living my life to discover if a product has animal in it? No way. Life is too short to worry about the small stuff. Whether McDonald's has cow fat in their fries. Well, that is just rediculous.

---

B2TM arms his fully opperational Pie station waiting for the attack.