Animated Desktop?

Discussion in 'OS X' started by UKingdom, May 19, 2007.

1. macrumors member

so i was wondering if it's possible to have my screensaver slideshow as my desktop like an animated desktop; i recently installed onyx, which has a limited feature to run certain screensavers as desktops (like the preinstalled "abstract" "flurry" and other screensavers), but not the "choose folder" slideshow, which i would have liked to have (constant changing animated desktop with fading and ken burns effect), does anyone know if another program does this or if it's possible?

edit: i have found that built in within osx i can do this by "changing background picture" every x seconds, and it even does fade! however, it doesn't do ken burns effect like the screensaver so i was still wondering if you guys know of a 3rd party solution or if i can get onyx to do this for me. thanks!

2. macrumors 603

mrkramer

If there is a program for this it would make your computer run very slow, because of the extra CPU usage.

3. Retired

psychofreak

This does it...but it does slow down your computer...

4. macrumors 6502a

Aloha UKingdom,

I use a program that exactly fits your needs. It's called Backlight and can be found at the FreeMacWare site, one of my absolute favorite websites. Contrary to what mrkramer posted, however, I have experienced no slowdown whatsoever with my 20" Intel (Core Duo) iMac. It's really nice, and gets a lot of "Wow"s when people visit, especially when I use Flurry :D

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

5. thread starter macrumors member

well, i found out you can do it by running this script in terminal, but you have to keep terminal running in the background

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

i tried looking for backlight but website is down; any alternate sources?

6. thread starter macrumors member

the first program posted above works too! i have it in my dock so i can turn it on and off

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 6502a

Aloha UKingdom,

I reposted the link before I tried to get to the download page. :eek: You are right - I got redirected to OpenDNS instead! I apologize for that. It's only 352kb in size - zag me an email at: HawaiiMacAddict@gmail.com and I'll send it to you.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

9. macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Just dropped you an email! Thanks.

10. thread starter macrumors member

i couldn't get backlight to work but the other program listed above works perfect on m 20 inch core 2 duo intel imac.

11. macrumors regular

put an & after that command in terminal, and you can close it and have the screensaver keep running. Like so:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

12. macrumors newbie

Actually the command you want is

nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &