Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScKaSx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
I just ran upon this hack from the glorius MacDevCenter which allows you to run the screensaver as your desktop(http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/20/terminal1.html?page=3). They used the following command in terminal:

home$ /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

I was wondering if it was possible to run other applications such as squid.app or video files on the desktop? And if so what the command would look like. Thanks.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2006
just search and download something called SaveHollywood. It lets you use a video as your screensaver.

ScKaSx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Just to clarify I wanted to run video or application as a wallpaper.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
There's no general way to do it for a specific application. You'd have to write your own app, or hack an app individually.

Edit: for your Squid.app example, there is a Squid.qtz file in the .app's package contents. Copy that to ~/Library/Screen Savers, and you can run it as a screen saver.

ScKaSx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
kainjow, thanks for the info. I was looking for a way to make squid a screensaver too, thanks a bunch.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.