"Animating" a food web (Flash, maybe?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dllavaneras, Jan 7, 2007.

1. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I have to do a report on food webs due in two weeks. I'd like to do a simple animation to the food web we're studying. See the example food web I attached. (thanks to this page for the food web)

What I would like is to have my food web fill the screen, as I'm planning to do a presentation. The idea that I had is that when I press on one of the species, this one lights up and the line joining it with the other species in the food web lights up as well. The "lighting up" would be in the form of a small pulse that originates form the species I clicked and reaches the other species (in this case, the species that feed on the selected one). The predator species would also light up.

I would also like the option to press a button (or click/slide/whatever, as long as it's small) and have the same effect as above, only that this time the species I click on lights up, the species that feed on this light up and so on until the final species is reached (this is to demonstrate the effect of removing one species)

For example: If I click on the "Pelagic Crustaceans", it would light up, as would the 5 lines connecting it with the "Polar Cod", "Capelin/Cod", "Little Auk", "Brünnich's Guillemot" and the "Amphipods/Krill/Prawns". These last five species (or groups) would light up as well.

Now I click the "all levels" button described above. Now when I press on the "Pelagic Crustaceans", the four lines mentioned before light up, as well as the ones joining the 5 species/groups mentioned to the ones that predate on these.

One final thing: If I click on the species at the bottom, the lines would be of one color (blue, for example). If I click on a species of a higher level in the food web (the Polar cod, for instance) the pulse would be of a different color.

BTW, by default the pulses would only travel upwards in the food web (towards the predators), but if there could be a button to inverse that, it'd be excellent!

Is this possible to make in such a short ammount of time? I currrently have Adobe CS (GoLive, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop), Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX. I have a decent knowledge of Photoshop, I've used InDesign and Dreamweaver (but not in the last 2 years) and minimal Flash knowledge.

Any info/comments would be very appreciated, even if it's "you're out of your mind" or "read the help files". I haven't looked at these since I just came up with the idea :) It's 1:15 am and I have to get up at 4:30 for classes, so I won't be able to answer right away.

EDIT: added the food web

Attached Files:

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

This could be achieved in Flash only you would probably have to have a decent knowledge of ActionScript (The coding language behing flash) as well as knowledge of Flash in general. Maybe take out a few books or something on ActionScript.

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Yes, though flash does seem like an easier option than many others (Though it might require "learning" actionScript). Either way it will take time. Good luck :)

4. dllavaneras thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Thanks! I'll look into that. Any online resources will be very appreciated!

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Well, this might help.

Google actionscript

youll get a lot of tutorials though i generally like books more.

6. dllavaneras thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Not a chance of getting it done in time :(
    I tried getting a button to work for quite a while and nothing happened... So I just gave up on the whole idea :mad:

Now, if there was only a way to do it in OmniGraffle... I already have my food web there. If there's a way to click on an item and have the connections light up, I'd be a happy man :rolleyes: