Animation Software

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by harveypooka, May 19, 2006.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Hello, I am looking for some 2D animation software kind of in the vein of the old Lucas Arts game...or that'll allow me to do a variety of styles. I thought ot hand drawing, but that's gonna take a long long time. I love the style of Full Throttle or The Dig, dunno, pixels make me happy. I saw a Vector Based animation studio...but not sure if that's what I'm after. Any ideas?

2. yoshiii macrumors member

Try this site: www.retas.com to learn about the software. Go here to buy the software: www.animationsoftware.com This is a major animation program and its used alot in Japan and in America.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

In general, which animation programs are used by professional animators and professional animation studios?

4. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, they're only about £1200...:S

5. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

for fantastic 2D animation software, try toonboom. There are several different packages to choose from beginner to solo studio to giant studio versions.

The best thing is the 30 day trial!

6. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, Toon Boom looks really good. The sample QT's help too. I think I'm going to have to buy a Wacom Pad though! Thanks.

7. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

It's a great app. Post some of your work here once you get started :)

8. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah sure, I will. I've been thinking though of some potential problems with 2D animation. If you use a 3D application to animate everything then an object keeps it's shape because you are moving something 3D...but how do you do this with a 2D cube and make it look good? I guess it's just careful drawing and animation, but man, that's gonna take ages!

9. yoshiii macrumors member

Retas is better than ToonBoon and is made to use with 3D and live action. I have seen the program and demos and seen it at a animation school. Its good!

10. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm. Ok, I have ordered a Wacom pad and will get demos of both and see which is better suited for what I want to do. Unfortunately I think I want to create things like Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Um....

11. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

I have my Wacom pad; downloaded Toon Boom and now am trying to download the Retas software...there are about 9 versions. I don't need the render stuff, but where would be a good place to start?