Animatrix now playing

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacBandit, Feb 4, 2003.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The first episode of the Animatrix is now playing.

For those of you who don't know what the Animatrix is check this out.

For the rest of you you can link to the series including the first one here.

All I can say after watching it is wow they really ****ed up. I sure hope we never come to that.

2. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

im downloading it right now. do you mean they screwed up and the movie sucks, or do you mean the human race screwed up in the context of the film?

3. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I mean the human race really screwed themselves.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It was quite nicely done, and nice rendering effect with the 3d, I wonder what they did it in.

Thanks for the link, looking forward to the rest of them.

D

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

6. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I can't find the info on the rendering engine or hardware. Here is the link to the main Animatrix site anyway.

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_cmp/animatrix_launcher.html

7. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I loved the animation they did, it reminded me of The Ghost in the Shell. I can't wait for the others to be released.

I heard this will be released as a DVD this summer, is that true?

8. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

Yawn... the first episode doesnt impress me at all... If any of you have seen Metropolis (the anime, not the Fritz Lang) you'd see a quite familiar and much better animated story... I hope it'll get better once we see some 3d episodes

9. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

It reminds of an old anime called Bubblegum Crisis. All in all, it's not a bad start to a series

10. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yes, I know about Metropolis and I think it's really a mistake to compare the two. Yes they have a somewhat similar plot line but yet different because the Matrix isn't centered around one robot. On another note you're comparing an entire movie to a one part short. The simple fact that you are comparring the two gives more credit to the Animatrix short then you think.

Just so everyone know exactly what he means by 3D episodes. He is referring to the fact that a large part of the episodes will be redered or drawn in different formats with different producers. Expect some to look like Final Fantasy and expect others to be old school cell drawings.

11. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

12. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

I watched it and it was ok. Not as good as the first - very good animation (in my mind) but not much story. Unless there is some underlying hiddne value that I didn't grasp yet. Your feelings?

13. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Speaking of robots, anyone seen the previews for this?

Robota

Looks kinda cool, but what is it about?

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

that looks kinda cool.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The 2ed animatrix was a little weak...
    Eh whatever. fighting scenes are always good. :D

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I really want to see the final short film made by Square Pictures. The clips I've seen look soooo real--I think they've even improved their techniques since Final Fantasy. Well, because of that and the really hot babe fighting in it.

17. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't know why everyone thought that the second film was weak. It didn't have to do with the history of the Matrix but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. I liked the way they added some more information about training. It was interesting to see that they do in fact educate people on how to deal with rogue humans trying/wanting to re-enter the matrix. Well thought out fight scene. Gotta love it.

18. Hozie macrumors newbie

Dunno, I just think the animation in the first movie was far superior to the second one. I have no problems with the storyline though. I do like the choreography on that fighting scene... very John Woo! All in all, I'm loving these series, even though the second one didn't quite have the 'wow' factor the first pic did. Keep up the great work says I!

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

That would be episode 9. I'm looking forward to that one too. It's almost like the makers are saving the most eagerly anticipated episode till the last.

And yes, the girl is hot :)
    http://keanuweb.com/_gfx/krmmna02.jpg

http://keanuweb.com/_gfx/krmmna03.jpg

20. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

If I remember right they are in fact saving those because there plots lead directly to the matrix films. Also I believe they will be releasing them on DVD and as previews in the theaters only. They are much much bigger then the shorts we have been watching.

The next Animatrix short will be released as a preview in front of the movie, "Dreamcatcher".

21. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

22. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Last Flight of Osiris

It was freakin awesome! I went to see Dreamcatcher
    and I was totally surprised when the animatrix started playing.
    It was worth the price of admission alone.

Excellent graphics and story.

-jeff

23. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I really liked THE SECOND RENAISSANCE, Part I

It really gets to you emotionally. I suppose it's just the sentimental part of me. They used quite a bit of holocaust imagery to display the "death" of so many robots. But what really got me was when they beat up that female 'bot in the street. The terror was very palpable. It was as awful as watching a rape scene: the destruction of innocence.

If THE MATRIX was as gritty as this piece alone was, I think we would really be playing with fire. WOW. Stunning. By far one of the best shorts I've seen in recent years.

It reminds me of a quote by French author, Victor Hugo. I know it's long winded but it still seems to be thematically in tune with the social issues expressed in SECOND RENAISSANCE, PART I.:

"So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation which, in the midst of civilization, artificially creates a hell on earth, and complicates with human fatality a destiny that is divine; so long as the three problems of the century -- the degradation of man by the exploitation of his labor, the ruin of woman by starvation, and the atrophy of childhood by physical and spiritual night -- are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words; and from a still broader point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, there shall be a need for books such as these."
    Opening note to Les Miserables
    Victor Hugo, 1862.

24. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit