Ann Richards dies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clevin, Sep 13, 2006.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

When asked what she would have done different, knowing she'd only serve one term, she replied, "Raise more Hell." What a character. :cool:

To answer your question clevin, Perry wasn't elected governor the first time around. Remember President Bush was the governor of Texas. He left the governorship to be the US President. So the next in line was Mr. Rick Perry.

The second time around (first time running for Gov.) he was elected because we Texans were dooped into believing he's a qualified governor.

Now he's running again. Could potentially be the longest serving Gov. in Texas due to Pres. Bush leaving office. (two years taking over for Bush + elected four years + another potentially elected four years)

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

so u gonna vote kinky?

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Isn't it obvoius? I have his picture for my avatar. :p I'm voting for the Kinkster.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

well, since u know he can't win, I would say your vote is gonna help Perry.:(

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why don't you think he can win? Perry has been sitting on his ass for the past four years accomplishing next to nothing (Except that terrible marriage amendment). Complete waste of time.

Perry has failed on the border, Perry is for the business tax, Perry wants this trans-Mexican-Canadian super highway built across Texas and is more than willing to use this Imminent Domain BS to have it built. This is very unconservative and has ticked off many Texans. Our schools are underfunded and these Toll roads are pissing people off.

Conservatives here in Texas hate imminent domain, hate the lack of border security, and hate more taxes. I doubt he'll win.

No one ever knows who the Democratic candidate is. It's sort of a joke around here. Most refer to him/her as "what's his name" that's running for Governor. :p

Grandma has some interesting stances. I like her recognition that our schools are in trouble, but has not spelled out a plan to fix it. I think it's going to be Grandma vs Kinky.

If Kinky is to get one thing accomplished as Gov. It will be putting 10,000 Texans on the border. Fully armed (with bullets in their guns too!) and ready to enforce some laws. Yes believe it or not, somehow border agents aren't allowed to carry ammunition. Great deterrent for drug runners...

So all in all I like Kinky's conservative values, plus his some "unconservative" stances as well. Like legalizing medicinal marijuana. Gay marriage, and energy. Though he has Texas legislature to get through... so it's really going to be interesting if any Gov. will get anything passed. After all, techinaclly the Lt. Gov. has more "power." Plus Texas legislature is stuborn.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ann was Damned Good People. Very honorable person. I'll miss her. I first met her while canoing with the Texas River Rats. (She and her husband, David, plus Bob Armstrong and some others, canoed the Chatuga River in Georgia (Remember "Deliverance"?).

She was County Commissioner for my precinct before moving on to the Comptroller's job. She did a better job as Governor than Clayton "Claytie" Williams would have done, IMO. She was hamstrung by some bad "campaign debt" appointments and the Texas structure of a weak Governorship.

She's too soon gone...

'Rat

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That was my impression of her as well. A straight shooter who wasn't afraid to buck her own party if it meant she could still look at herself in the mirror.

I loved the quote from her when the ACLU came calling to try to get a nativity scene removed from state property. Something along the lines of "thats as close to the Texas legislature as three wise men are likely to get. Let's just leave them be."

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

here's the WH press release on her death:
    that's it. i suppose it would have been nice if bush and laura had said something about them respecting her, or earning their admiration. am i being silly expecting a little bit more?

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm surprised she got that much. Sad to see her go. Looking back, I'm sure she'll be remembered as a good Gov. for her attempts to help the TX economy, education, healthcare, and the prison system. As opposed to GW, who didn't do such a good job (nor has his replacement apparently) and continues to mar his reputation everyday. Too bad she didn't accept the offer to become the VP candidate for the Dems. I'm sure most will just remember her for her line about Bush Sr., that he was born with a silver foot in his mouth.

And for that King Of The Hill episode.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

solvs, Ann's problems as governor stemmed from things beyond her control. In Texas, the Governor is in many ways a figurehead job, so lots of jawboning is required. The strongest part of the Governorship is the appointment of members of the boards and commissions that run state government agencies. She tried hard, and indeed did some good. Overall, she did a pretty good job. What cost her the re-election was her veto of a bill to put the issue of concealed handgun licenses to a non-binding referendum.

Bush had a more bi-partisan situation, and did a reasonably good job, especially with regard to some of the reforms in the school systems and on school finance. Not perfect, but according to several teachers I know, better. It wasn't Bush hisownself as much as a cooperative situation with the Lege--but he could work with the Lege. Texas is well-known for kicking governors out after one term; he got two.

Perry? I'm not particularly whelmed. He's just sorta "there", combing his hair, as near as I can tell.

'Rat

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I heard today she was quoted saying George W Bush
    was born with a silver foot in his mouth.

My kinda gal!

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Look up a couple of posts. ;) She actually said that about George Sr.

I had heard about that 'rat, the concealed weapons ban ruining her chances. Also a surprising number of voters that year, mostly for the other side. People "misunderestimated" GW and his team then too. I am fully aware of things like the "Texas Miracle", but I still say Bush can campaign a lot better than he can govern. I would have much preferred she was the President than any of the last several contenders.

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I admired her because she was a strait talker. She would say what was on her mind, and would be very vocal about it. No beating around the bush. Though she did some vocal beatings on Bush. ;)

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

It would have been nice to see an apology for that whispering campaign Bush had Rove launch about Richards' sexuality. I guess I'm being way too silly asking for that aren't I?

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Oops! I guess it was Dadya bush after all.

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Maybe :p

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The resentment on the CHL thing had more to do with vetoing the bill to allow the voters to decide, I think. IOW, she got bad advice from her in-group. IMO, many of them were anti-gun, but that's just my opinion. I don't have much use for the idiotic "blood in the streets" crowd. Guns as such, I imagine she'd have fit right in on a hunt, somewhere. Heck, probably outshoot Cheney. :D

Sexuality? I don't think anybody gave a hoot. She was as near to being a lady in public as was apropos, and that's what counted.

Like I say, gone too soon.

'Rat