Anniversary of Microsoft lawsuit

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rower_CPU, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I was reading the "Mac Bathroom Reader" and I came across an interesting historical fact:
    On March 17, 1988, Apple filed suit against Microsoft over copyright infringement of their GUI in Windows 2.03. That was St. Patrick's Day 14 years ago.
    Unfortunately, Apple was in a difficult position since Sculley had signed a deal in '85 giving Microsoft rights to use Mac-like features in Windows 1.01. After several years of suits and counter-suits the court decided in Microsoft's favor in '93, saying that either the '85 agreement was still valid for later versions of Windows, or that the technology itself was un-copyrightable.

So those of you celebrating this St. Paddy's day, raise a glass in remembrance of when MS first stuck it to Apple, leading both companies on the path to where we find them today.

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

apple was so stupid then
    as if you would lend rights to microsoft so they would make word an excel for mac its apple they could make something better
    wy didn't they make their own version of word and excel

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Gates was a good negotiator. He bluffed and Sculley blinked.

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

maybe if they didn't lend em the rights
    we would all have windows and we would have 5% of the market at the rest would have MACS

:D :D

na
    :rolleyes:

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Now that's a scary thought!!! But I don't think so cause windows would still suck. We'd still be mac users, we'd just be ruling the world right now.

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

yeah I would still get a mac
    and jobs would have like a 100 billion dollars