Anniversary vacation to Maui, need advice.

Discussion in 'Community' started by RandomDeadHead, Jan 14, 2005.

1. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    In a few more months, my wife and I will have been married for twenty years. I was wanting to suprise her with a special vacation to commemorate the occasion. However, going to Europe in 1990 to see the Dead is the only major traveling we have ever done, and all that was taken care of by the group we went with. We have been all over the country many times, but we have a RV that we take so I have never needed to make travel arrangements and such.
    I was wanting to take her to Maui, but I am having a hard time figuring out where to stay and what to do. I would go to a travel agent, but the only one close is a friend of my wife. I want this to be a total surprise so that means I am going to need to make all the arrangements online. However their is not too much good solid info available, just a bunch of advertising propaganda. So i need some advise from someone who has been there, I know the Macrumors crowd is an affluent bunch of folks, so hopefully someone could help an old hippy out.
    I am looking for a romantic vacation at a small secluded resort. Money is not a problem, but please don't tell me to stay at the frekin' Ritz. My wife and I would stick out like two hippies at the Ritz. A nice laid-back full service resort is what I am looking for.

Rest assured, any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    My first time to Maui was in 1980 and was for our honeymoon. We stayed at the Sheraton Maui in Kaanapali Beach. While the accommodations were very nice, I do prefer a smaller hotel. The Kaanapali area is very scenic, as is virtually the whole island, and the scuba diving there was amazing.

Last time we were there was about 10 years ago, and we stayed in a condo owned by my sister’s boss. The condo is in Wailea, where the Ritz is located, which seems to be the new *in* place to stay. I don't really have a preference for either Wailea or Kaanapali as they are both outstandingly beautiful. Having said that though, the latter is a little closer to Lahaina, where most of the touristy shops/restaurants are located. So your choice will depend on what you want to do. If pressed to choose between one or the other, I'd probably choose Wailea only because I preferred our free accommodations there :)

As for what to do, here are a few suggestions.

* Drive to the top of mount (volcano really) Haleakala - take a warm jacket though, it's freezing cold up there.
    * Drive to Hana - something that we chose not to do as we went scuba diving instead
    * Day trip to Lanai, the pineapple island
    * Watersports - snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing etc
    * Make your own picnic basket and hang out with your wife on one of their many scenic beaches.
    * Lunch (dinner will be a lot more expensive) at one of the upscale hotels, and see how the other half live

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Here's a site for further reading, which also has many additional links...

Oh, and congratulations to both of you on your anniversary. You'll really love your *second honeymoon* on Maui :)
  3. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2003
    I just got back from Maui. Not what we did, but I've heard the Four Seasons in Wailea is the place if you're looking a full service resort. We rented a condo for the week though because those resorts are expensive. The Four Seasons is close to a really nice beach though and the grounds look beautiful.

Things to do - definitely go to the Old Lahaina Luau. Bookings required far in advance and go for the traditional seating option. Very nice, extremely professional program. I'd give it a ten out of ten.

We had nice weather all but one day - we got a nice tropical storm. Worst rain I've ever seen in my life, and many shopkeepers etc I asked about it said it was the worst they'd seen in years.

Note that except at touristy events like the luau where they must be friendly, the locals are downright rude. You'd think it was New York or something.

Take the drive up to the Halekala summit, though depending on your time, you can honestly miss Hana (but the road to Hana's not nearly as bad as they'd have you think - it's actually pretty good until you get a ways past Hana)
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    snorkel in ahihi bay (spelling? sounds like a-hehe) and do a night dive at black rock. eat dinner at longhi's in lahaina. take a day trip to lanaii- boats leave from lahina. spend a day at big beach.

edit: do you have time to go to other islands on the trip? i think that lanaii and kuaii are SO much more beautiful than maui. less people.
  5. deral macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    Kahuku, Hawai'i
    My gosh was the rain horrible. But luckily, that "winter" weather has passed, so yey for great weather! Your wife and yourself will have the most amazing time in Maui. Congrats!
  6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    I forgot about the Luau, you and your wife will probably enjoy that.

Also definitely worth doing is a sunset cruise. Beautiful, romantic, peaceful....what more can one ask for? Other than peace on earth and no more diseases!?!?

If I remember correctly, the Ritz and the Four Seasons are next to each other in Wailea, or at very close togther. Both are beautiful hotels with incredible beaches.

Maybe some more MR members who live there can add a few more tips about things to do and places to stay.

I'm surprised to hear what markie said about the locals, because they weren't like that either of the times that I was there. Of course there are rude individuals no matter where you go. Hopefully what he experienced was just an aberration and not the norm.