Announcement: "100-post minimum" Marketplace rule

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Doctor Q, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We regularly receive suggestions for changes in the Marketplace forum, for which we thank you. One such suggestion has been implemented as of today.

As you will see in the For Sale/Trade Policy (Marketplace Rules), we have a new rule for sellers:
    1. To start a Marketplace thread, you must be a forum members of status "Regular" or above, which means that you have 100 or more posts as displayed in your User Profile. This gives other members a chance to become familiar with the seller and helps make the Marketplace a place for personal sales among forum members. (To see your User Profile, click Quick Links -> My Profile at the top of this page.)
    We realize that this rule involves a tradeoff. Some Mac users have joined MacRumors hoping to make a sale in the Marketplace their first stop, and the rule inhibits that. The flipside is that we have had trouble with Marketplace threads by first-time posters unfamiliar to other members, and some businesses have violated the rules against commercial sales by joining only to post there.

A Newbie becomes a Member at 30 posts and a Regular at 100 posts. We hope that new members won't spam the forums simply to reach Marketplace eligibility. Such posts are routinely reported and deleted. Instead, we hope they will take the change to join discussions and meet other members.

We're looking for the right balance to make the Marketplace work for private sales between MacRumors forum members and avoid opportunists and those without credibility. We'd like to see the Marketplace run without a high level of moderation, which should benefit not only the moderators but members using the Marketplace too.

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Suggestions and feedback on the rules and Marketplace forum are welcome as always.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

A big thanks to the mods and everyone who was involved w/ getting this rule into action!

Hopefully this will help to alleviate unwarranted issues. Thanks again for all your hard work!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They have this over at DSL Reports and it works famously! I hate to love it!! Thanks all!

4. MrTchMan macrumors member

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

awesome... less chance of being scammed :cool:

good work everyone involved :)

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Until, that is, when wdlove decides to cash in on his carefully crafted "nice-guy" image by accepting payment to sell shady items for newbies....

7. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

We're not going to remove items already posted, but this new ruling will affect any new members trying to post new items from this point forward.

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

9. minimax macrumors 6502

This certainly is great news as I got scammed by a 'first time' poster on macrumors as well. Luckily I managed to get some of my money back through the creditcard corporation but I'm grateful action has been taken to reduce the risk to a minimum!

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Seems reasonable to me too although the first 100 posts can be tricky. Anything that encourages more people to participate in the community aspect of MR though has to be a good thing.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think it is a great idea as well, and should cut down on spamming/scamming.

Kudos

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Let's just hope it doesn't lead to marketplace threads coming up in other forum areas. Who wants to place bets that the Buying Tips forum will be the first innocent newbie victim? :p

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hay guyz, i cAnT p0st in teh mrktplc. wutz up w/ that? n-e-wayz, wanna buy a g5 powerbokz? only $999. shipz frum nigeria. :p:D

14. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

excellent idea... though i don't know if it will actually cut down on spamming... just take a look at that darn 'mix-it-for-me' thread we have going :p

15. MacMajor macrumors newbie

<sarcasm>Great!</sarcasm> What about those who WTB ?

Well, that sure explains it. I just sent an email off asking this very question. I'm new here, yeah, and I was able to start a thread the other day; today I cannot. :(
    I understand the reasoning behind it, BUT what about those who 'WTB'? That was the topic of my first post and the reason why I need to post another. I'm not looking sell, but to buy. So sad. :(

Tracy

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think this is a good implementation of a good idea.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess there is a trade off here, but it is an attempt to better manage the forum. All in all, you can still post, respond and monitor threads, just not create one there for a while. Yeah, it's tough that you have to pay the price for the abuse of others, but hopefully you will stick it out and contribute to the community.

Welcome

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How about letting newbies who have paid their contribution fee post in these threads. This should weed out the serious from the not-so-serious. Or is work-around this already in play?...

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well, those under the 100post mark could still PM and email members saying they WTB.

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They can still post to say that they want to buy in an existing thread. I think the concern MacMajor is raising is that they can't start a thread saying that they'd like to buy an original Airport card etc and obviously couldn't just randomly mail people to ask if they happened to have one.

21. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

This rule sounds right. Credibility is good. Lets just hope there won't too much spamming going on as somebody else has posted.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that the 100 post think is a good idea for sellers but is obviously not really necessary for WTB posts. Perhaps the Marketplace can be split in two, one side buy, one side sell.

Then all you need is some sort of auto-matching of buyers and sellers...

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I had a reccomendation for something along these lines a few months ago. It didn't go over very well, due to a whole slew of logisitcal issues. I had hoped to see some form of change come as a result of the thread, it wasn't the right time.

Perhaps now, the "environment" may be more attuned to the revamp of the Marketplace experience.

24. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

unless I'm mistaken, contributing to the site should override the 100 post minimum - but I'd need someone who's got under 100 posts, paid up, and wanting to post a thread to let me know if that's right.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is a good move. Cheers for everything you and the mods and Arn do to keep Macrumors such a great place. :)