Announcement about paid memberships

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Doctor Q, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

arn has decided to re-evaluate the mechanism for MacRumors memberships and possibly the benefits too.

Starting today, paid members will retain their status, even if the anniversary of their membership is reached or has passed, and no new paid memberships will be accepted. As before, only current paid members will be able to see an ad-free front page, participate in the Private forums, and have a "Demi" or "Contributor" status.

To repeat: Current paid MacRumors memberships will not expire. New paid memberships are not available.

As before, membership for reading and posting to the public forums is free.

The Contributions page has been updated to say "We are not accepting contributions at this time. Thank you for your interest."

FAQ
    How long will new memberships be closed? We don't know. We will tell you as soon as we know. We appreciate your patience.

Will benefits change? What benefits might change? We don't know.

Why now? The membership system has not been working smoothly and was in need of updating.

Won't MacRumors lose income? Yes, but arn is more concerned with the quality of the site and being fair to members than with contributions.

Is this a sign that MacRumors is going away? No.

I just joined. Thank you.

I just renewed. Thank you.

I was just about to join. We're sorry. You won't be able to join until a new system is in place, and we don't know when that will be.

Why didn't my membership already expire when it should have? That was one of the problems.

I was just about to renew. Thank you. Until further notice, your membership will not expire.

I just renewed and somebody else didn't, but the other guy gets to stay, which isn't fair. Agreed. We're aware that you could have kept your membership without paying during this period. Thank you for renewing. You are helping the site, and we're sorry that the system isn't perfect.

If I can't contribute for membership, how can I help MacRumors? By continuing to participate in the forums, by observing forum rules, by submitting news, rumors, or good ideas when you have them, by using the MacRumors Shop for price comparison and shopping, by supporting our sponsors, and by letting others know about MacRumors.

There is an outstanding problem with my paid membership. Send a Private Message to a moderator.

I have a suggestion. Please post it here or send a Private Message to a moderator.

I have a question. Please post it here or send a Private Message to a moderator, but be aware that this post reports what we know at this point.​

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks for the update!
    Looking forward to the new changes!

We appreciate all that the Mods do, and the value that MR brings to us.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Brown-nose. ;)

Ditto, BTW.

And, in case their powers get extended, let me be the first to say "All Hail our new Moderator Overlords".

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I was looking for new contribution rules just today, because I was waiting for a new mug or anything. It's nice to see, that something is done, but I hope it won't take too long, because I really want to contribute, but I also liked one of those mugs or something else, I have to admit. That's what I've been waiting for.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, I checked the other day to contribute and saw the message. Disappointing, but they'll figure it out. Heck, I don't even want a mug. I figure I should at least pay for making people put up with my ramblings...

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ok, I didn;t realise there were private forums. How much traffic (and how good) do they see?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They're a lot of fun. We spend most of our time there mocking the other members who can't see the threads. ;)

Seriously, though, it's nice at times to go there because it's a bit calmer, as it were.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'll PM my Paypal info to you :p

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Keep in mind I have only $20 to split amongst 45,000 members. Unless Doctor Q wants to compile stats of who has viewed threads I've posted in and how often, in which case I could prorate based on perceived damage.

So I think I owe you about 2 cents, which is probably quite appropriate, since you're always giving me your's.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I asked my wife to make me a MR demi-god for Christmas, but I got a purple Apple travel mug instead..... :(

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

If you split that $20 among just the 400 members with 500+ posts, we could each get a whole nickel. Oooh...shiny.

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Kinda like having to suffer the horrors of Windows to truly appreciate OS X, eh?

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know you were kidding (I hope you were kidding), but now I'm all paranoid about it. And I can't even join up to find out what you guys are talking about now that I'm working again. Ah well, I'll try to provide some good banter for you the next time I'm in the Political Forums. ;)

Of course, by the time the contributions are back up, my job will have ended. It's only temp. :( Ah well, it's only ~$20. I'm sure it's worth it.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, but there's always that glimmer of hope that there will something good out. Or at least something funny. Heck, that's why I keep going over to the Keira thread...

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am disappointed to see this.

I have been on board for a year now. And I was looking forward to making this one of the few boards that i was willing to contribute to.

Some of it was the recent posting about my ranking. But more because i see a value in the site. I love the "hands-off" nature of the mods in most cases. I love the sense of "family" that I see here. I love that the mods do not require a "single focus" to the threads posted.

I do hope that when they decide how to maintain the fiscal burden of the site, I will be able to support it.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my sentiments to a tee, i will hopefully contribute by summer time

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Can we hear more as to why there is not a push for paid members. For the recent post about postings made some of us feel guilty.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Can we try and keep the commentary on topic here and not try the witty banter - this is supposed to be a q and a discussion.

As to why there hasn't been a push for new membership, I'm not exactly sure. The only person who controlled that was arn.... hopefully we'll get an answer for you.

D

19. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe arn just isn't a sufficiently ruthless businessperson. :)

But I know what you mean. If people want to join, why turn them down? Like, you, I'm waiting to see what arn has in mind next.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not sure if this was directed at me personally. I wasn't trying for witty banter. I just realized just how much I added to the "overhead" of MR and was planning on being a more "contributing" member.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And at the same point why turn down those that want to support the site. Like the likes of me.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think it was probably me chip, but I've removed those posts now.

I do appreciate the forum a great deal and don't want to detract from the issue.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

From reading the FAQ, it sounds like there was concern about the fairness of the membership management (in terms of tracking renewals, etc.) and arn wants to straighten it all out and make it work more smoothly.

I would hope all of this goes reasonably quickly, as by this point (5 months into my membership) I think I owe it to MR to contribute (mug or no :)).

P.S. Sorry about the witty (?) banter earlier, Mr. A. It's a Friday, and it's been a long week.

24. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This is disappointing...I was looking forward to contributing today or tomorrow...I feel that I've put enough 'witty banter' onto the forum and used the site enough to merit paying...but whatever, if you guys are going to refuse my money it's not my problem. :rolleyes:

25. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Or perhaps arn is secrectly building up demand for the mac rumors membership.

Perhaps you can tell us what some of the problems were, so we can help improve things. Perhaps we can come up with some ideas as well, if arn feels like taking our input.