Annoyed with 'Open with'

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by LorenzMeir, May 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi

I'm a little bit annoyed with the 'open with' menu in the finder app, multiple applications show up duplicate when I click this option...
    Just curious what could cause this it's not that I can't live with it but I like my Apple devices neat :)

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macrumors regular

use onyx (or terminal) to rebuild launch services to get rid of the duplicates.

4. jameslmoser, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

macrumors 6502

I have been annoyed with this for years! I'm still not positive exactly what causes it, but I know how to fix it. From Terminal run:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then restart Finder:

killall Finder

That should eliminate the duplicates.

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I keep this handy as it crops up on me, particularly when I attach external disks to my computer.

6. macrumors 65816

Partron22

A little AppleScript that automates the rebuild process, and lets you know when it's done:
    Code:
    -- Rebuild Launch Services DB
    -- BP2013
    --Modified from:
    -- Adam Bell 2013
    -- http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=40534

say "begin"
    set flushLaunchSvcDB to "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
    do shell script flushLaunchSvcDB
    delay 1
    do shell script "killall Finder"
    say "done"
    Save it as an App from Aplescript Editor.

7. w0lf, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

macrumors 65816

w0lf

8. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

A slight tweak to avoid a step... the command below includes the Finder restart all in one string.

Code:
    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder
    If you use the Alfred launcher, there is a workflow here to automate this. The paid Powerpack version of Alfred is required.