Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi

I'm a little bit annoyed with the 'open with' menu in the finder app, multiple applications show up duplicate when I click this option...
Just curious what could cause this it's not that I can't live with it but I like my Apple devices neat :)

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot5.png
    Screenshot5.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 130

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
use onyx (or terminal) to rebuild launch services to get rid of the duplicates.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I have been annoyed with this for years! I'm still not positive exactly what causes it, but I know how to fix it. From Terminal run:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then restart Finder:

killall Finder

That should eliminate the duplicates.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have been annoyed with this for years! I'm still not positive exactly what causes it, but I know how to fix it. From Terminal run:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then restart Finder:

killall Finder

I keep this handy as it crops up on me, particularly when I attach external disks to my computer.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
A little AppleScript that automates the rebuild process, and lets you know when it's done:
Code:
-- Rebuild Launch Services DB
-- BP2013
--Modified from:
-- Adam Bell 2013
-- http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=40534

say "begin"
set flushLaunchSvcDB to "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
do shell script flushLaunchSvcDB
delay 1
do shell script "killall Finder"
say "done"
Save it as an App from Aplescript Editor.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Then restart Finder:

killall Finder

A slight tweak to avoid a step... the command below includes the Finder restart all in one string.

Code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder

If you use the Alfred launcher, there is a workflow here to automate this. The paid Powerpack version of Alfred is required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.