Annoying bugs in Panther and Safari 1.2

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jevel, Mar 5, 2004.

1. jevel macrumors regular

First it's that bloody annoying icon bug. I had it before, reformatted, and now it's back! At first I'm able to open the info on the file and just delete the icon from there, but with time that won't work anymore. So now I'm stuck with all my word files showing up with the iSync icon. On the info it looks like a lot of small things on the icon, not iSync?!? (Rather badly explained, but the best I could do...)

Safari on the other hand decides to download loads of banners, making it use 100% CPU _all_ the time. Not only does it eat battery like crazy, it even makes the fan run all the time. (Which is noisy as hell....)

So, Apple, please fix this ASAP! I'm tired of searching for files only to find they've changed icons. And I'm also tired of this fan noise. I suspect it to be noisier than usual, but Applecare didn't want to listen to it, only told me "that a little noise is totally normal"!! :( I'd expect a little more service from a company with these prices.

-KJ

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have experienced the same annoying icon bug. The fix is to rebuild your Classic desktop, then log out and back in for it to take effect. As for your Safari question, I have no idea why it does that. I haven't experimented with Safari and Process Viewer (not sure if that's the correct name) both running, so I have not verified Safari's CPU usage on my iMac.

3. jevel thread starter macrumors regular

First of all I'm very grateful for any answers.

As it comes to your advice about restoring my classic desktop, I'm running a OS X only enviroment.

Any other things I could try?

-KJ

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Guess what? That doesn't matter! You can still rebuild the desktop file even if you don't have Classic installed.

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

you can block the banners by adding them as your hosts 127.0.0.1
    copy this file and place it in your preferences, rename is 'Hosts'. Restart. YOu can add names to the list as well, but its a pretty extensive list by itself.
    cheers