Annoying darker/lighter blue vertical pattern in blue color, 23" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pouce, Mar 26, 2007.

1. pouce macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2007
    Paris, France
    Hi everyone,

I've recently (march 2007) bought an Apple Cinema Display 23". I'm just amazed by this display. I came to the conclusion that displays are never too big ;-) I use it mainly with my powerbook G4 (and PC sometimes).

However i've noticed something terrible about it:

Upon displaying an image containing a uniform blue, one can see alternating darker/lighter vertical lines across the blue zone. One senses texture on blue when one should see a uniform blue... This is really distracting... especially when doing photography or graphics...!

I asked someone else to see if she saw the pattern, she did (it's not my eyes!).

I've first noticed this light/dark blue pattern on the blues of the Finder (when set with the "Blue" for "Appearance" for the "Highlight Color") as in, for example:
    -the blue of the apple logo on the left of the menu bar;
    -the blue of a selection in the Finder;
    -the blue of the iTunes logo !

The spacial period of the pattern is 2 pixels (one pixel darker, one pixel lighter) : a one-pixel column of dark blue, one-pixel. This pattern can be seen across the display when moving the image.

I've even tried hooking up a PC under windows to my display via the DVI output. I used gimp to reproduced a similar blue. And the pattern was also observable...

The alternating pattern is very dim but the contrast is enough to be perceivable and annoying when seeing a pattern as non uniform when it should be.

I even gave a shot to "Pixel Tester" and the pattern can be seen clearly when the screen is filled with a color between blue, dark blue and pink.

Using "DigitalColor Meter" utility, i have pin pointed some of the blue colors to be around (the colors are given as 8-bit RGB):
    56, 117, 215 (the blue in the finder)
    20, 93, 252
    21, 96, 251
    0, 68, 186
    0, 62, 145
    0, 79, 151
    0, 52, 178
    0, 45, 174
    0, 96, 203

This pattern can be seen from a conformable viewing distance, may be around 30cm to 50cm.

I tried to see if I could see this pattern with other color, but it was with out success. Even inverting the colors (yellow) didn't show anything...

(By the way, i've just noticed to hot blue/cyan sub-pixel :-(. One near to the middle and one on the lower right. But lucky, these are quite dim and are not visible from a normal distance. They are observable when looking at the screen really near, which is about 15 cm.)

I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue (darker/lighter blue pattern), maybe on a different color ?

Do you think i can get it fixed/replaced ? It's driving me crazy !

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Can you post a pic from a digital camera? I just got one myself, and haven't noticed any flaws yet (except for one dead pixel).
  3. pouce thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2007
    Paris, France
    pictures of the problem

i've just put up a page :

Try looking at the pictures from a distance of your screen.

the pattern is kinda difficult to replicate on a digital camera, but you might have an idea of it from the pictures.

i'll try to post more may be...
    and see what can be done with my retailer or apple...
  4. pouce thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2007
    Paris, France