Annoying Exposee behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Arne, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Arne macrumors regular

Hello,

when I have several Windows maximized as much as possible, Exposee does not really arrange them the way it should.

Here you can see a Screenshot. I hope this explains what I mean.

[​IMG]

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

2. Blurg Guest

You can fix that by just slightly moving one of the windows.

3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

even so, the problem will still persist. this only happens when there's one kind of window from the same program is visible. even if the windows are at different locations and size it's still the same.

the remedy is to have more than one program's windows visible at the same time. so, i would have this window of vlc and 4 safari windows or something like that.

somebody should script a tiny invisible window to trick expose to use the multiple kinds of windows tiling instead of lining them all up in a row.

4. Arne thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think Apple should better fix this.. I don't like the idea of having a million little "helper-apps" running all the time, it reminds me too much of my days with MS Windows ;)

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree, Arne... in fact, I'd classify this as an Expose bug, and something Apple should fix. I've never tried to invoke Expose when I have more than one screen-filling window open at once, though.

6. antimac macrumors newbie

so, is that what I see in the corner when using exposee...?

they moved fast on that one.

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't know if I'd consider that a "bug" necessarily...

....what's happening is no doubt a side effect of the algorithm, which I'm guessing takes window size and position into account. If you're running all your Windows maximized (let me guess, you're either a Switcher or you're on a small screen?) then they're going to line up like that.

Side note, how do you think Expose "should" arrange the windows?

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It happens because the windows are exactly lined up if you move one by a single pixel it doesn't happen.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, if they were windows from different programs, they'd be organized in the X pattern (UL, UR, LL, LR, and center), and they would each be bigger as a result than any of the windows are now in the Expose view. So I would go with, they "should" be arranged that way even when they are all windows of the same app / size.

Now I'm not going to get all angry about it, but yes, I think it's a bug.

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Well now I'm confused - the screenshot he provided has multiple apps (looks like Cyberduck, Safari, Smultron, NeoOffice (?), and iTunes). Is that the bug? Would Expose normally tile these in an X pattern?

...and I wasn't trying to be incendiary before, I just don't think this is a bug the way I understand the description of the problem so far.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry...I'm actually having difficulty seeing the screenshot. I guess, as you say, it's all different apps, but they appear to be the same size?

When I've seen this, I've seen it with multiple windows of the same app open, because by default, they're the same size. But my understanding is that it can also happen if other apps are all exactly the same size?

I believe, but I'm not sure, that if the apps are very slightly different in size (i.e. by a few pixels), then you get the "X" configuration and not the horizontal row.... The "X" config shows the windows as much larger without any obvious disadvantage, and Expose uses it unless you end up in this particular condition... I guess I don't know that it's a bug, but it seems to me like preserving the "X" would be better?

12. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Agreed - the X pattern, as described, would be far superior to the pattern he/she currently gets, but I think the pattern he/she is currently getting stems directly from the size/position of the windows.

I'd think that not using them all maximized would probably fix this problem.

13. mrpither macrumors member

mrpither

anyone tried this in leopard to see what happens? tia...

14. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

As you probably know by now, it's the same in Leopard ...
    And that means Apple still knows what's better for you, and still wouldn't let you have it your/mine "stupid" way :mad: