Annoying iChat Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DMPDX, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    For the past week I have been trying to figure out a way to use iChat AV and my isight with aim to chat with my buddies. When I go to open ichat, it will open the window, show my (grayed out) buddy list, say its connecting, then minimize and disconnect, w/o ever logging me in. It says, and I quote,
    "Lost Connection With AIM

The Connection To The Host Was Unexpectedly Lost"

Now see that looks like a simple internet issue, but no, its not. I get websites fine etc, AND, when I use adium or fire I log on perfectly! this only happens with ichat. So to test out to see if it was just my sn that wouldnt work with ichat, i created a new one off of the aim website. Same story there :(. So I then signed up for the free 60-day trial of .mac, entered that name in ichat, and it said the exact same thing. It gave me thta AIM error. But I thought aim was separate from .mac/ichat??

Eitherway It's not working. Even after trashing the com.apple.ichat.aim whatever file, I am having no luck. Please help me my friends, I need me some webcaming!
    Many thanks for looking.
    -dsm

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You might want to check your router/firewall settings and see if it's letting iChat connections through

3. mpw Guest

The AIM server was down last night I think 'cause I had the same issue.

I'm tearing my hair out at the moment trying to get iChat AV working at home. I can sit outside my office and connect over WiFi for full audio & video but from home all I can do is text.

I've tried opening specific portson the router and MB, tried turning the firewall off on both the MB and router, I've even gone out and bought a new router and tried that but nothing??? My next move is to call my ISP to see if they're blocking something?

The message I get when trying to connect is that I didn't respond, which is rubbish as I was sat there screaming at the ***king thing to connect!:mad:

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You might want to be more specific.

5. dcv macrumors G3

Yeah it went down on me last night too.

mind.
    gutter.
    get it out.

6. mpw Guest

:eek: :p :cool:

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I am having a similar problem through my home router.* I know a fair amount about port forwarding, etc., but I have followed Apple's somewhat contradictory instructions, opening all ports suggested in any document, all with no luck.* If anybody could post a better description than Apple has done, that would be really helpful.

FWIW, I am using a Linksys Wireless G router/ADSL2+ (I think it is a WAG354G), not that this should really matter.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I'm at work on a PC and can't check what my settings are nor do I have time to go hunting them down online at the moment.

I figured that since no-one had replied yet, that I'd attempt to give one route that the OP might find worth exploring since it didn't sound like he'd tried that yet.

mpw - you might want to do a search for trigger ports. My router wouldn't allow voice/video chat through until I discovered a trigger port setting and suddenly, ta da! But as I said above, I'm at work so can't tell you what it is.

9. dcv macrumors G3

Oooh you'll have to let me know too... once I join you on that lovely 24MB broadband service of yours (should be next couple of weeks hopefully) :cool:

10. mpw Guest

I'm on it like white on rice! Although I think I may've already done this, thanks.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

There's an easier trick if you've got the Be router - you just go into the profiles and they've very helpfully set one up for you called Apple iChat which magically works - and is the only reason that I found out about the trigger port since someone with the same router on a different ISP was having no joy.

12. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

But see, I can connect to aim fine via fire and adium to the AIM servers. Does ichat just use different ports?
    -dsm

13. 78346 Guest

My iChat has not worked for over 2 weeks.

Even at 3 different locations with completely different network settings, it doesn't matter what connection I am on. I instantly get the message "The connection to the host was unexpectedly lost." It doesn't even seem to be looking.

I deleted and reinstalled iChat from the CD. I am running 10.4.7.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

make sure your friends aren't using AIM Triton...it doesn't support video chat. Not sure if that gets to the heart of the issue though.

15. 78346 Guest

I am saying that I can't even log into AIM through iChat, not establish a connection with someone.

16. 78346 Guest

For some reason, I installed it again and this time it worked. Strange.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Everytime an iChat AV>AIM on PC thread comes up, I ask for a sticky to be made about it, or a guide....

But, now that I think about it....the sticky would probably just read like, "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't,.....check your router and ports...good luck!"

18. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

by what ever do you mean?? :D

19. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

AIM Triton is for Windows, just fyi. And to everyone. I have reinstalled ichat several times, appzapped it and repeated, to no avail. What has worked is switching the connection my netgear router gives me to the d-link i have in my family room. I can connect to ichat that way perfectly. I just dont get the strongest signal. SO, if someone could PLEASE look up the ports or triggers etc to put into my router I would be so thankful. Thanks to everyone.
    -dsm

ps. it seems adium uses the same scheme, because I cant connect to it through my current router either. thanks.

20. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

that has been appneing to me alot recently as well, to solve the prolmem ive bene logging out of my user ans back in, and voila fixed

21. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Even though I am the single user on the machine, It didnt work. I am certain it is the router as I AM able to connect through a different branded router. Like I said in my other post (even though this thread has been hijacked :mad: ) I can connect via fire thoguh my nearest router to aim. But not to adium or ichat. its a routing problem, I am just waiting for someone to hook me up with the port numbers i need to open etc. Thanks.
    -dsm

22. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Same crap 'can't connect to host issue' here on a G5 and my daughter's iMac. I trashed iChat and Pacifisted a copy from Tiger to reinstall...and....well now it crashes on launch!!

So, I guess I'll try another AIM app, feel for my daughter who can't iChat video conference with her grandparents now :(

Is Apple or AIM going to fix this?

side note- I had no issues on my NetGear 54mbps but recently upgraded to a 108mbp and thats about 2 weeks ago when this issue stated. I can't believe it's user end because it's happening to different users, different gear all around the same time period 1-2 weeks ago.

23. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Here's what my router had as its presets for iChat - and which allow me to audio and video chat

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. DMPDX thread starter macrumors 6502

I praise you. I am going to enter those ports right now and report back. thanks!
    -dsm

25. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Well, I reinstalled iChat and now it won't even launch ;( It does the first bounce in the dock and then it's gone. So, not only can I not connect, now I can't even get it to launch.

Any more ideas? I doubt everyone's ports got messed up all at the same time. There must be an AIM server issue and it's screwing with iChat.

How can I at least get iChat installed correctly? I tried the Tiger CD instal extras AND also the Pacifist install method. Nothing has worked.