annoying iDisk troubles

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aquajet, Jun 19, 2006.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

I've recently joined the .Mac service and have tried using iDisk to share certain files. Trouble is, lately my internet connection has been a bit flakey, and it seems whenever my Mac is accessing my iDisk while the connection times out, it locks my computer. I've tried to relaunch the Finder, but that doesn't work. Is this normal, or is something else going on that I should look at? At this point, I can't really trust iDisk because of the risk of locking the computer. :(

I'm also considering switching providers since they insist everything is normal. But that's another story.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iDisk locks Finder when it's connecting, for me, but otherwise it's fine. It is terribly slow though. :(

Have you tried accessing it from a different machine? :)

3. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope, the PB is the only one. I was hoping that maybe it was an issue with my specific computer that I could deal with, but perhaps not.

The whole iDisk experience has been pretty much a bust. :(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I wouldn't have .Mac if it wasn't so simple to sync my machines. iDisk and the email in .Mac are unbearably slow.

Still, it shouldn't be freezing your Finder for an extended period. If possible, check it on another machine or check you PowerBook on a faster internet connection to see if you get the same problems. :)

5. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It probably does not apply but what is your internet connection speed and in particular your upload speed? Because if it's slow it takes a while for iDisk to retrieve data, which is the problem of locking up in Finder.

Also do you use iDisk syncing? I heard that it downloads in the background a local copy which may be the cause for a prolonged Finder locking.

6. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow at campus. :)

IIRC, it's 3m down / 768k up. Although recently, the connection has been very unreliable. The only thing I've been trying to do lately is upload some movie files, about 6-10 mb each.