Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Recently defecting to mac from windows im trying to get used to iPhoto's file storage system but there is one thing i cant seem to understand. I havent edited a single photo in iphoto yet my Modified folder in finder is chock full of folders and photos. If i were to ditch iPhoto and just store my photos in a separate folder, are these "modified" photos still in the Original folder as another copy? Can i ignore the modified folder? Don't know if i stated that as well as i should have, but hopefully itll do the trick.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Hate to say it but your problem has been posted tons of times throughout the forums (try a search).

Either way, when you modify a picture (rotate it, color change, etc...) the modified picture is placed under the modified folder, and the original picture (unmodified) remains in the original folder. When I backup I ignore the modified folder and just deal with having to re-modify pictures that I want to.

In the end, backing up the original folders is the most important.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
In the end, backing up the original folders is the most important.

Is it really, for everyone? I'm just a hobby photographer, and I can imagine that having backups of originals is perhaps very important for pros. I've been reading through all the posts I can find on this sort of thing, trying to decide what to do with my photos and modifications. In my case, I modify photos till I'm satisfied with the result, and at that point, I very seldom need or want the original. In the few cases I do, I just make sure that the modifications are made on a copy, so that I have both.

Feel free to criticize this method, I'm still very confused, even after searching. :eek:

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I think what you want to do is edit your photos in a program like Graphic Converter before dropping them into iPhoto for storage. With the size of HD's these days, I think iPhoto's, and iTunes', "just let us handle it" philosophy works for most people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.