Annoying new behaviour of Safari on Dual-monitor setup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beerguy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. beerguy macrumors regular

I run a 15 Al PB. I use a 24" lcd when I'm in the office to stash safari and a couple of apps that I leave open. This used to work just fine, but with the latest update new safari windows pop open on the primary screen even though the browser is on the secondary screen. It never used to do that.

Has anyone noticed this or is it just me? If you have a similar setup, open Safari on the attached monitor and do a CMD+N. Which screen does the new window appear in?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I started using a dual screen set-up a few months ago, and I too have noticed that my new windows have sometimes opened on the wrong monitor. I never pieced together that this was a difference, since I hadn't much experience, but I agree that if that is a change, it's not a good one and should be undone, or at least given an option.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Opens up right in front of the old Safari window on my secondary monitor.

4. beerguy thread starter macrumors regular

Are you running 10.3.9 with Safari 1.3? (v312)

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Yup.

Do your new windows always open up on your primary monitor or is just an occasional thing? I keep opening up new windows and they always seem to open wherever my original Safari window is, regardless of whether it's on my primary or secondary monitor.

6. beerguy thread starter macrumors regular

They always used(for the last 18 months) to behave the way that yours do. The only thing that I changed over the weekend was I did the 10.3.9 update. I've been avoiding it, but I think I'm going to smoke my Safari preferences and see if that fixes it.

7. Ugimom macrumors newbie

I'm not at home to double-check this with my own PB/2nd monitor set-up, but--are you using Saft? After the 10.3.9 update, I was also getting some odd window behavior from Safari. New windows insisted on opening near the center of the screen, even if previous windows had been moved top left. The latest update from Saft (7.7.2, I think) fixed that.

8. beerguy thread starter macrumors regular

I was using Saft, but I had it disabled. Deleting preferences seems to have fixed it. I'm really glad it wasn't a "feature" as it was beginning to cheese me off.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Glad you managed to fix it, sometimes it's the little things like this that can really drive you round the bend!