Annoying Photoshop message

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mala, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

Every time I open a picture in Photoshop, up comes an annoying dialogue box about managing the colour profile. I always just click OK, leave it as it is. How can I stop this thing appearing, please!

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Go to your Color Settings (Shift-Command-K) and uncheck the box where it asks you to "ask when opening" on profile mismatches (under Color Management Policies).

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

You're a gentleman and a scholar, emw.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Go to Photoshop (the menu) in the top-left corner, next to the Apple.

Scroll down to Color Settings. A box will come up.

At the top of that box it says: Settings. Turn that to 'Color management off'.

Color Management Policies: turn them all to off.

Next go down the box near the bottom where it says 'Profile mismatches' Untick the option where it says 'Ask when opening'
    Same with Missing Profiles...

That should help.

5. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Looks like emw got there first... :)

Serves me right for having 3 different boards open.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

No sweat. I'm always good for color management advice in Photoshop...

8. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

Keep that message box active!!!!!!!! It's very important!!!!!!!!!

Always keep embedded profiles unless you are doing some massive editing and you need more gamut to work with...

For example, your camera shoots SRGB but you'll want to edit in Adobe 98.

If there are missing profiles you want to add one that works for what you are doing...

*sigh*... And i have to work with you people...

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The thing is not everyone needs that :D

I usually keep the embedded ones, is there anyway to have it automatically choose that?

D

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

So if you always keep embedded profiles, then you would never need to ask if there was a mismatch, would you?

But many people don't actually need to have it ask them every time because, for example, their photo studio always embeds sRGB, but they typically edit in a larger space, like ProPhoto or BestRGB or something, and they know there will be a mismatch and just hate to keep answering the question.

If there is a missing profile, you can easily see that by having Photoshop show you profile information in the status bar.

Edit: Also, asking about missing profiles is separate from profile mismatches, so you can handle them differently.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Same place - under Color Settings > Color Management Policies select Preserve Embedded Profiles and uncheck Ask When Opening, and it should automatically preserve the embedded profile.

12. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

When I scan I work in ProPhotoRGB my Camera Works in AdobeRGB

and I deliver them like that to my clients, if they want to narrow it down to s(hit)RGB that's their problem I always deliver with the widest gamut the original device can handle, so when converting to CMYK for print they have as much colour information as possible in the original file.

there is no use to change the profile from images made with my DSLR to ProPhotoRGB because it can't add information that there isn't in the picture...

this profile mismatch issue is more important for end users like printing companys and professionals in general than the 'major' public

for those in the last category I would recommend to choose wich RGB profile you want to use all the time (probably your camera will shoot in sRGB anyway...) and set Photoshop's coloursettings so that it converts any opened picture to that profile and saves it like that, then there will be no problems for you regarding profiles...