Annoying pointer pauses in OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hStack, Jul 25, 2006.

1. hStack macrumors member

I've owned a Macbook for 3 weeks, and am generally happy with it. No moo nor whine, moderate heat emanating from the bottom. And for the most part OSX is reliable and fast. The only exception I found is annoying pointer ill behavior. I document 2 types.

1. When I move the pointer over a window with numerous fields with different properties (ie text field, http link, white space in firefox), the pointer sometimes can't keep up with the context changes and get stuck with text insertion cursor as opposed to an arrow or hand cursor. This is not as annoying, since even with the wrong cursor, I still have an idea where the centerpoint of the cursor and the subsequent click will restore the correct cursor graphic.

I see this behavior in a Linux workstation at work. But not
    on a windows system.

2. Pointer freezes on the other hand, annoys me a lot. This happen 15% of the time when I have several windows open, and closes 1 of them. The pointer will get stuck in place for about 1-1.5 sec.

I've never encounter pointer freezes in XP and Linux and wonder if this is an OS X bug. Note that I see both type
    of behavior even when the processor and system load is minimal, like only firefox is the only open app.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

I have the exact same thing, I always use the trackpad.
    I think it's a FF/Camino bug, I have never experienced it in other programs.
    I particularly notice it when I close a window with Apple-W, then the pointer is frozen for a bit...

4. hStack thread starter macrumors member

It's with the trackpad. I haven't used a mouse yet with my MB.

5. hStack thread starter macrumors member

Since I have Firefox open all the time, it's possible it's a FF bug. You're right that it happens with Apple-W keystroke. I use it all the time to close windows. So I guess I just have to live with this or replace FF.

6. applerocks macrumors regular

It happens to me too, and I don't use FireFox. It was happening to a MacBook in the Apple Store too.

applerocks

7. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Must be a trackpad driver thing then. Cos the rest of the innards are the same as a mini basically, so that cannot be it.
    Have to try if it's different with a mouse.....

8. necropunk macrumors member

it happens the same with me an i always use safari

never tested it with a mouse though

9. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

This happens to me on my MacBook Pro - It doesnt happen when using an external mouse, bluetooth or corded.

It is obviously a driver or trackpad problem

10. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It could be the "ignore accidental trackpad touches" feature, that I think you can turn off in System Preferences. It makes the trackpad unresponsive for a brief moment after you've used the keyboard.

11. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

True true, I have this switched on so I will turn it off and then see if I still get the problem - thanks for the advice :)

12. rybot macrumors newbie

I have the same problem pn my macbook..usually moving from a text window after typing. I have had it go haywire once and the pointer appeared all over the screen really fast. Anyone else?

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When my trackpad starts playing up, I reset it by holding my palm over it for a good five seconds or so. :)

14. jbusc macrumors member

If this thread is about the same thing, I was being driven mad by that problem too (of the cursor "freezing") and it went away after I did the above...

However it became immediately clear why Apple implemented that feature. The macbook trackpad is _very_ sensitive and it is very easy to accidentally move the cursor while you're typing.

I eventually turned that feature to ignore accidental trackpad touches back on. You get used to using it in such a way as such to minimize the "freezing"...