Annoying posting habits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveman Deluxe, Nov 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

One thing that irritates me is when people quote the post directly above theirs. I think it's acceptable to quote an excerpt of a long post, however.

I just don't understand why one would need to add to the length of the thread visually by referencing an easily referrable post.

Any other contributions to this list? I don't want this to become a mud slinging competition. Keep it friendly. :)

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I have no problem with either method

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

heh, I won't quote you, but I usually prefer that they quote the post they are referring to. Sometimes what they are saying doesn't make sense. Then I realize that they are referring to something a post or two up. When they started typing they might have been referring to the post at the bottom, but by the time the submitted their post a couple of others slipped in.

My pet peeve regarding quoting however is quoting the whole post you are referring to. I feel that you just need to quote a sentence or two so that we get the context that you are referencing. I especially dislike the posts that will quote the whole post (like a 500 word post) and then have their response be only 6 words. :rolleyes:

Edit: See Tazo snuck in on me. Now I bet nobody knows what I am referring to.. :D :D :D

4. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Stelliform:

I can appreciate that. That said, if I reference your name, anybody can know to whom I am replying.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Bingo - that is usually the biggest problem....I hate seeing a whole post quoted followed by "me too" (although in a sense that is what I am doing now but at least I have trimmed the quoted part a bit). It is especially irritating on a few listserves I subscribe to, where the offenders not only quote whole useless messages but also send it in html which generates another load of crap.......oh yeah!

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I can certainly appreciate that we don't want to see the whole post over again, but it's often necessary to quote the post, even if it is just above, or we think that's where it is. :D

I have more trouble with the people who type ahead of the quote, so you have to read down the long rant to read the long quote, then backtrack, to figure out that it wasn't worthwhile anyway.

Then, there are the spelling and punctuation issues. It makes me wonder if many people are still 10 years old.

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

People (newbies, primarily) who attach avatars to the bottom of all of their posts... especially when they're animated. I haven't noticed it much lately, but several weeks ago there seemed to be a wave of it.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>Flowbee

Was it that stupid water cooling picture?

That in reality looked more like a charging pod for the iDildo.

No reason for him to upload it constantly, just bookmark the darn thing and use the img code.

Of course somebody will nudge them in the right direction eventually...

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im getting tired of the ebay scam postings. they are getting out of hand.

iJon

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Sometimes you aren't sure if someone is gonna post seconds before you.

Its assurance.

Where the heck do you get this from this topic?

Scam...

:confused:

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The one I remember specifically was a lighthouse that flashed every second or so. Also, that woman who had the 100+ pictures of her opening a G5 used to attach a 'tar to her posts. It got old really fast (for me, anyway).

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

he said what are some annoying posting habts, and he didnt like the quoting. i said i didnt like all the postings on whether an ebay auction is a scam or not. sorry if it didnt fit in specifically.

iJon

13. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It usually doesn't happen, and if it does, it's not hard to edit posts.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't mind posts that quote, as long as they don't include attached images too. I don't know why this bothers me, as the annoyance factor should only be related to the amount of extraneous stuff quoted, image or not. But that's my 2 cents.

15. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Tazo hits the Bullseye!

Performance Art.

I dislike threads like "this", the one we're in right now. They just seem to breed pointless negativity.

Don't get me wrong, negativity is a great tool in a craftmans hand, but what exactly does this thread achieve?

also, quoting the "one above" probably won't be the "one above" on a hot thread.
    I've landed on page two before now, after thinking I was gonna be the first comment.

Sounds to me like you're just throwing around negative vibes fer no positive outcome.

What exactly will be better in the world if everyone stops quoting the the post above?:confused:

16. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

On this post you were only two posts away? Maybe you should edit it to -

Macman - It usually doesn't happen, and if it does, it's not hard to edit posts.

This would save us all a lot of unnecessary hardship.

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

typically, i'll quote the person above me even if i post directly afterward. one reason is that it's simple--i don't have to differentiate between whether that post it recent or some way back. another reason is that it insures that the person can't change what he said and make what i say in response seem pointless, stupid, or irrelevant.

ultimately, though, it's sad that this really bothers you. i can understand being pissed if someone posts 3-4 times in a row with something he could have said at once in a single post, or even getting pissed about a person who double posts all the time just to boost his post count, but this is simple redundancy--and redundancy in a system, as long as it doesn't deter from the goal, is really OK. so, you see a post. then you see a post in response to that post with that post quoted in it. SKIP OVER IT. you don't have to read the quote. it's there for reference. we don't number posts in any simple way, so it's hard to make numerical notes or anything. quoting posts is a very, very effective way of referencing material with a single click--you just hit quote. there's nothing wrong with it, it's how the system is designed.

seriously, find something better to do.

like bitch about a guy who has a 140 post/day average. that's something that's genuinely annoying. especially when the guy's mind is shaped like a groin.

18. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I'm not too fond of people starting a thread just to showcase their new car or similar purchase. I don't see the value of this to the community. But maybe that's just me, and other people are actually interested in this stuff.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I agree to a certain degree.

I certainly would agree if it was about cars, but if it was a brand spankin' new missy elliot CD I might change my opinion.

Because, as we all know, Missy elliot pwns us all.

yes - pwns.

My biggest 'annoying post habit' is when people substitute p's for o's. jk. My actual biggest annoying posting habit would have to be people who post a one liner that has nothing to do with the topic AND it is something either
    a) annoying
    b) stupid
    c) a waste of my precious time
    d) biggoted
    e) racist
    f) sexist
    g) homophobic
    h) heterophobic
    i) archnoph.... wait im digressing....
    j) all of the above
    k) 2 or more of the above

lettered lists also annoy me.... why use letters when you could have numbers?!?! (once again, jk :)).

scem0

20. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Honestly macman, are you joking, or do you really have an inability to see the relevance of that comment in a thread about annoying posts. I personally will say macman is responsible for a lot of annoying posts.

21. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: Tazo hits the Bullseye!

No, it will help to quote just the sentences they are refering to.

I do not like long sgnatures neither, specially the one with more ths 3 lines or the ones that tell you all the equipment you have in a very long vertical paragraph. Ex:
    Powermac G5,
    iMac G4 800
    Powerbook 12"
    iPod 30GB
    iMac G3 233 (at the office)....

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

and you've never been a member of the annoying post club? ;)

true777 - when you get a new piece of hardware, whether its something you drive in or a new computer, its always fun to get excited about it.

And if things like that are bothersome, just avoid them. :D

D

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What bothers me...?

...stupid threads like this bother me :rolleyes:

24. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You probably wont post a reply to this... But I have wanted to do this. Do you know how???

[edit] I am an idiot [/edit]

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Tazo hits the Bullseye!

I guess it's just a good thing that your signature only has 2 lines. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.