Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notwist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
New Brunswick, NJ
There are three programs (all PowerPC) that are always running on my MacBook. Below is a pic of the ones I'm talking about.

picture2bg9.jpg

The top two I think are related to Norton Antivirus I used to have installed on my computer. I have since uninstalled them. I don't know why they are still there. The last one I believe must be related to Office, but I'm not too sure.

Basically, how do I remove these (if they shouldn't be there)?:confused:

applelabs

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
The first two do indeed look like Norton Antivirus (eww). Do a spotlight search for "Norton". And see if there any files still hanging around.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
The 3rd one is Microsoft Automatic Update for Office. If you disable Automatic Updates, I'm pretty sure this goes away - I don't have it running anymore and I believe that's how I got rid of it.

iSaint

macrumors 603
I find this thread ironic. I've never heard anyone talk about unknown background processes in OS X because Apple computers never (very rarely) freeze up for no reason. That's a Windows OS problem. I remember the bad old days looking at all those processes and trying to figure out what the helck was locking up my Windoes machine. :rolleyes: :D

sepu

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
how can you see those background processes ? there is and app for that ?
thanks

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Activity Monitor can be found in Applications > Utilities. ideally, you'll never have to use that app.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Activity Monitor can be found in Applications > Utilities. ideally, you'll never have to use that app.

I have Activity Monitor on pretty often. I like to see how hard my processors or cores are working. I also like to see at which rate file transfers and network activity is happening. Another reason I check it is to see just how awful Safari is as a memory and resource hog. Once its virtual RAM reaches about 4 or 5GB, which is ridiculous, I finish reading whichever news articles I have up and close Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.