annoying processes in background

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by notwist, Jan 26, 2007.

1. notwist macrumors regular

There are three programs (all PowerPC) that are always running on my MacBook. Below is a pic of the ones I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

The top two I think are related to Norton Antivirus I used to have installed on my computer. I have since uninstalled them. I don't know why they are still there. The last one I believe must be related to Office, but I'm not too sure.

Basically, how do I remove these (if they shouldn't be there)?:confused:

2. applelabs macrumors member

The first two do indeed look like Norton Antivirus (eww). Do a spotlight search for "Norton". And see if there any files still hanging around.

3. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

The 3rd one is Microsoft Automatic Update for Office. If you disable Automatic Updates, I'm pretty sure this goes away - I don't have it running anymore and I believe that's how I got rid of it.

4. notwist thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I searched for 'Norton' and 'Symantec' and deleted everything yet it's still there. I'll keep trying searching though. :eek:

5. applelabs macrumors member

Did you log out afterwards?

6. notwist thread starter macrumors regular

:doh: Thanks! :)

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I find this thread ironic. I've never heard anyone talk about unknown background processes in OS X because Apple computers never (very rarely) freeze up for no reason. That's a Windows OS problem. I remember the bad old days looking at all those processes and trying to figure out what the helck was locking up my Windoes machine. :rolleyes: :D

8. sepu macrumors regular

how can you see those background processes ? there is and app for that ?
    thanks

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Activity Monitor

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Activity Monitor can be found in Applications > Utilities. ideally, you'll never have to use that app.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I have Activity Monitor on pretty often. I like to see how hard my processors or cores are working. I also like to see at which rate file transfers and network activity is happening. Another reason I check it is to see just how awful Safari is as a memory and resource hog. Once its virtual RAM reaches about 4 or 5GB, which is ridiculous, I finish reading whichever news articles I have up and close Safari.