Annoying things about Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markjones05, May 4, 2005.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have 3 little annoyances about tiger so far and i was wondering if anyone has a solution to these.

1. It bothers me very much that i can no longer type in apple into safari or any other browser to get to a website i now have to type in www.apple.com

2. I like my 2 hard drives to be placed in the center of my screen since they are the only 2 icons on my screen, however whenever i log out or restart they are in the default location. I used to be able to lock icons in place in jaguar and panther.

3. iChat...
    a. The names are spaced further apart making the application bigger than it needs to be
    b. The green button which used to resize the window nicely to fit all your buddies now annoyingly resizes it to expand the entire screen. Whats that about?

If anyone has fixes please post.

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I just typed 'apple' into safari and it took me to www.apple.com...

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

okay try yahoo instead of www.yahoo.com watch how long it takes and then it doesnt even take u to the page.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For issue 2: Try unchecking "keep arranged by..." and checking "snap to grid" in View Options, and have it apply only to the Desktop rather than all windows (unless you want all your windows that way).

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

About three seconds, and yes it did (take me to the page)...this is a strange thing -- it should not be happening to you. :(

6. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

1: i tried "apple" and "yahoo" and a bunch of others.
    No complait there.

2:
    1. Click on desktop
    2. Key Apple-J
    3. Uncheck "Keep arranged by"
    4. Problem sorted

3: a)I don't use it. There are a few other options around if you are just using text (Adium, Fire etc.)
    b) Yes, the different behavior of the green buttonn in apps (for example in Camino it doesn't work at all like it should!) is annoying, but that's not necessarily tiger's fault!
    I shall be starting a thread soon....

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

On second thopught, this sounds like its def a network settings issue, Mark, if it happens to you in more than one browser. Have you tried the "assist me" option in sysprefs for networking, to do network diagnostics?

8. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Thanx for the post, i tried the diagnostic and nothing has changed. I also have panther running on my external hard drive and when i boot up from that i have none of these problems thats y i thought they were tigers fault.

As far as the icons go i didnt have it set on keep arranged by, i had it on snap to grid, but reguardless of what i have it on, every time i log on, the icons go back to there original position.

The ichat and icon problem i can learn to live with, however the browser problem is getting really annoying. I need a fix asap. If anyone else has any ideas, im just sittin here waiting to try something.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I wonder if a DNS issue is to blame. I suppose you could try filling in your DNS servers manually in the Network pane of System Preferences, assuming you know what they are or can get them from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I don't think you're wrong. They *are* isolated to Tiger (b/c they don't happen in Panther), and they *are* isolated to your network settings or internet connection settings somehow (if they affect Firefox or IE or any other browser that doesn't use WebKit...if you meant by other browsers that you tried Shiira, that may be a different matter).

Hmmm...is there anything noteworthy about your internet connection? Do you use proxy service?

11. vasaz macrumors member

Did you try repairing permissions for [2]? Maybe some preference file isn't getting saved correctly because it's permissions got screwy...

12. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

AIM quits CONSTANTLY. But I decided to switch to iChat anyway. I think AIM has stopped supporting Mac seeing as there has not been an actual update in almost 15 months.

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

iChat is so messed up that if you can get it to actually run you're doing better than most. I would imagine an update is coming, but then again, I'm not sure I'd get it since software update seems to be down for a lot of Tiger users as well...;-)... Tiger's causing me some anxiety with all of these little bugs, it's been awhile since I've doubted my OS- this is weird...lol...

14. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

I reported this to apple already but i was hoping someone here could confirm. if you login to AIM on another computer first... then login using iChat under the same account. does it kick the first one off? It does for me every time and it shouldn't. Panther always allowed multiple logins per SN .. the Tiger version does not work that way.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow...such weirdness. System upgrades are bad, but when the software updater doesn't work....ugh (just a reminder though, stuff is always available via the Apple website too). FWIW both S/W update and iChat work fine for me. Not sure about the memory-loss on the window though. I've been using Adium, which also has a brand new version to entertain me. :)

16. thecow macrumors 6502

What did you do to your poor iChat app? I'v had iChat on almost 24/7 for a few days now ant it's fine. I did do a format and install instead of an upgrade, so that might have somthing to do with it.

17. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

does iChat in Tiger allow you to do multiple logins (locations) on the same name?

18. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I don't even know- I'm not a big iChat, or IM person to begin with so I actually thought it was something I was doing wrong- then I went to Apples support site and saw it was happening to sooooo many people. I upgraded, but this bug's rhyme or reason hasn't surfaced yet- even tried disabling the firewall, figuring the necessary ports were closed, no go...

19. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

You're getting too technical for me. I don't know how to fill in a DNS server manually nor do I know what DNS stands for. Can you simpily this for me?

20. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

How do i do this?

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

OT:Thanks

Never knew this about Safari. You have made things easier for me with this off-handed tip. (10.3 here)

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

DNS means Domain Name Service. It's the thing that translates a website address like www.yahoo.com into the numeric address for that website (the computers actually locate each other using the numeric address, and not the text address; there is no pattern relating the two. Rather, the DNS is like an index that matches the two).

Normally, your system is able to automatically get routed to DNS servers when it gets its internet connection, but sometimes this goes awry, and then it has trouble figuring out what the IP address is for a website name. If it cannot get the IP address, it cannot take you there. This is why Wrldwzrd suggested you put the DNS server addresses in manually -- to make sure that the initial connection from you to the server works.

The first thing you would need to do is go to the webpage of your internet service provider, and find the DNS server's IP addresses. These are strings of numbers that look like 192.168.1.1 (but they won't be that number). There should be one or two of them. If their support page has a search feature, type in DNS and you should get them.

Then, you go to system prefs, click on network, then click on the connection you are using (airport, whatever). Then you click on the TCP/IP tab, and you type the DNS' IP address into this box (I think you can type in more than one, followed by commas).

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Repair permissions by launching the program disk utility, in your utilities folder, clicking on the drive icon on the left, and then the "repair disk permissions" button on the right.

24. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I don't know what you are talking about. iChat works wonderfully for me. Infact, it added sothing I missed from AIM, I can tell it to seperate people into there groups, making the groupings useful again. Yay!

Before I installed, I had learned that my start up disk was not the optimal deive for me and planned to move it to another drive. Getting tiger gave me an excuse to use my other drive and install a fresh copy (also, I wanted to have it seperate form my stable panther install, incase it did have to many issues). I had planned to play around with it for a few weeks before using it full time for everyone, but everything seemed to be rock solid, and other changes I was planning made the transision happen earlier.

The only issue that I have experienced so for:
    When I installed tiger the migration tool asked me if I would like to migrate users from another computer or volume. I figured this would make my life easier down the road so I said yes. Upon doing this a incountered some flakiness in the system (to the point that I was thinking I would be waiting till 10.4.1), the worst being the inability to download any file.

I created a new account (I have three people who use this computer, each with their own account, an an extra admin account, JIC). This new account had none of these issues. So I manually installed each users stuff (email, including mail boxes, bookmarks, iphoto, itunes, etc) and everything was hunkydorey. infact it allowed me to clean out crap that need to be removed. Still have panther sitting on the other drive JIC but don't plan on using it unless I have to.

25. altair macrumors regular

hey MarkJones, do you use Comcast for your interweb service?

Cause if you do, thats probably a reason why, their DNS is all fubbard where im at near Seattle, and I think its like that for a bunch of other people elsewhere.