Annual operating costs for mac's and pc's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rendezvouscp, Jan 25, 2004.

1. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Hi! I've been doing a few hours of research online, and have found two definite quotes for the estimated operating costs of a pc (interestingly, $1,700). I can't find any for the mac though. Does anyone know of a site where I can find one? Or, better yet, does anyone know? Thank you in advance,
    –Chase

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

macs are a hell of allot cheaper to run than pc's I can tell you that.

as for how much cheaper I canot tell you power wise the difference would be minimull but macs break a hell of allot less often I have proff that they require less maintenence as a publishing companie I know has 500 macs and 1000 pc's they have one person to provide support for the macs and 25 for the pc's

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

4. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

That's a beautiful number...but where did you get it? Your own business, or online? Thank you so much for your help Hector.
    –Chase

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

an australian small buisness reserch figures (Yes I converted the australian dollars to american ones)

6. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

7. bannedagain macrumors member

This is a 'Total cost of Ownership" question. And varies from computer to computer and user to user.

In the 3 years I've had my PC (K7 Home brew) The only mony I've spent on it, is the money upgrading the parts, eg: more RAM, and extra PCI cards, etc...

I'm a home user and have fixed all the problems that have arrisen with my compter in my own time. I charge $50AUD an hour for computer repairs and building systems, so if I look at it that way I might be $7-9000 in debt to myself. However I enjoy tweaking and getting into my system.

8. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

i have to be honest i do know that a mac in sleep hardly uses any power what so ever. a pc on the other hand just keeps sucking up juice...

Macs should come with an energy efecitent sticker on them or somthing lol :D

9. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I think most operating costs for PC's come from people who take their computer in to a professional just to get the OS reinstalled or to clear out some disk space.

I know some people that take their computer in if they run out of disk space...