Anonymous Samsung Executive Claims Apple Planning to Launch Smaller iPad by End of 2012

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a report from The Korea Times (via SlashGear), an anonymous Samsung executive reveals that Apple has committed to purchase at least $9.7 billion worth of components from the company this year, with Apple's expenditures potentially reaching $11 billion depending on demand. According to the executive, growth will be driven in part by the new iPad, as well as more MacBook Air units utilizing Samsung solid-state drives and a smaller iPad.
    Apple reportedly contracted for $7.8 billion in components from Samsung in 2011, with the numbers for this year revealing yet another substantial increase as Apple's device shipments continue to rise.

The report also quotes a source who claims that Samsung will be providing new PLS-based LCDs for the smaller iPad, while Apple has also expressed interest in OLED technology. The source claims that Apple would like to use OLED and that Samsung is committed to bringing the technology to iOS devices, but that Apple does not currently see a way for Samsung to produce the required screens at necessary levels.

Reports of a 7.85-inch "iPad mini" have been circulating for some time, and it seems reasonable to conclude that Apple has at least been toying with the concept. There has yet to be any firm evidence, however, that the company is seeking to move forward toward a public release.

Article Link: Anonymous Samsung Executive Claims Apple Planning to Launch Smaller iPad by End of 2012

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502

Menopause

4. macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I still dont believe it. Really dont care honestly. 9.7 is perfect.

5. macrumors 65816

we'll see if this actually happens
    might be a smart move to monopolize the whole tablet industry

6. macrumors member

Probably an attempt to get people to hold off on buying the newest iPad :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

8. macrumors 68000

Blakjack

They are already monopolizing the entire tablet industry

9. macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Apple is going to be furious about this leak. I remember a similar leak that cost a certain graphics card manufacturer the contract for supplying the graphics cards for MacBook Pros and iMacs.

10. macrumors 6502a

croooow

A smaller iPad? Wow, what a unique rumor. I have never read anything like that before!:eek:

11. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Why would that be a smart move?

12. macrumors 6502a

Menge

It's funny: Samsung, one of Apple's greatest tablet competitors, is claiming Apple is following in Samsung's footsteps!

Sounds like they want us to buy Samsung tablets now, since they're the iPad of the future... :D

13. macrumors 68020

The size is unlikely, and OLED is just not Apple. They've actually spoken against it I believe.

As for "iPad mini" - Am I the only one who hates this as a name? Even if Apple do release a smaller iPad?

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd like a small iPad to take to school to read books and surf the web, as long as it was cheap(er).

16. macrumors P6

Peace

Couldn't this guy get busted for insider trading if he decided to sell/buy some stock ?

17. macrumors 68000

wikus

Yeah...

[​IMG]

18. macrumors 6502

Yep

19. macrumors regular

Dicx

Remote for the new TV, which if does happen, now jumps into the premium price category. Like it wasn't going to anyways.

20. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Big controller for the iTV? There is a market for an iPad mini and if it comes out then Steve almost definitely agreed it. Guess time will tell!

21. macrumors regular

scrapple

22. macrumors 68000

JGowan

Personally I think Apple should do it. I feel that, for adults, the current size is perfect -- however, for kids, the size would be better for smaller hands.

The iPod touch is now getting a little long in the tooth and I think this would also fill in those sales that have started to wain and will continue to as time goes by.

23. macrumors 603

notjustjay

"Hold off on buying our 7" tablet, because Apple's got one coming soon." - Samsung

24. macrumors 603

Well. Samsung would definitely know this. After all they are the ones who produce LCD panels for iPad 3 (and probably the smaller version too).

25. Ryth, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

macrumors 65816

Agreed...was going to post the same thing...

It's going to be the interface/controller/remote for the new Apple TV.