Another 10.4.6 issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adk, Apr 7, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Yesterday I get a call from my friend saying her PB wouldn't turn on, and she didn't know what was up. I went over and looked at it, and it was just stuck on the screen with an apple and the swirly thing. I had to reinstall OS X. It worked fine again, but then I went to download a years worth of updates, and after it automatically restarted, it got stuck again. This is when she realized that she had just updated the night before her computer went bad in the first place. Has anybody else experienced similar issues? PB in question is a 15" Rev D. 1.67Ghz.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    A newer machine really shouldn't be struggling with a system update. Do you know which update it was exactly? Also, it might help if we have a bit of background information on the machine such as the apps installed, the hardware plugged in and whether there are any hacks running.

One last thing, does she have at least 8GB of free space left? :)
  3. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    How long did you leave it before you decided it was completely "stuck"

I have had an iBook stuck at that point for +5mins on a restart after the battery had fallen out. Remember that after updates start ups are slower.

I think on the PPC 10.4.6, the machines are meant to restart twice.
  4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    Correct. PPC 10.4.6 is double restart. However, mine didn't take very long on either of my machines, the PB I have is a 12" 867mhz.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Most updates cause an extra long first reboot for me. My Mac will just sit at the Apple logo screen for minutes seemingly doing nothing, but it's not really frozen, just looks that way. Make sure that that's not all that's going on.
  6. triutmi macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2006
    the update that ate my mac

i have been going nuts unsuccessfully trying to recover from failed hd messages after installing the latest update. i:ve a G4 PB. fsck advises that the volume cannot be repaired. invalid node structure is the only specific indication and the volume message comes during the catalog B-tree rebuild.

machine won't read CD in drive either. this looks bad...
  7. Grandier macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2005
    I'm having the same problem as triutmi. After updating to 10.4.6 a few days ago a partition in my external disk got wacked. When I try to repair it I get an error message saying that it failed on exit. Today I started having problems with some applications, and when I checked my main disk it told me that it requires minor repairs, but it won't give me the option to repair it. Any idea what's going on?
  8. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    if you have a B-tree error, you're fscked, to put it bluntly.

archive all your files to an iPod/DVD/external HD as FAST AS YOU CAN and format that sucker.

i had the same problem on my iBook and i figured i'd just live with it, then my filesystem failed and i lost almost all my files.. only was able to save a few with Data Rescue X.
  9. triutmi macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2006
    yes, recovery impossible as no external device will mount either. a recovery CD loads to a certain point and then the Apple logo becomes a rectangle infected as if by a photoshop noise command. another new to me behavior with the system install disc in, the Apple logo shifts slightly right and pixels in no discernable pattern in that left margin are black. all quite contraindicated experiences.

well, fortunately well backuped, but still...a trip to the apple store not the way to start a rainy monday. this is the first time ever that an apple download caused a problem. and this is the mother of them all.

he's dead, jim.
  10. kittenbagriver macrumors newbie

Apr 10, 2006
    10.4.6 killed two of my G4 towers.

First one (400Mhz G4 Sawtooth) it sent the finder into "crash... relauch... crash" cycle. I replicated this several times using clean installs and both the standalone 'combo' installers and 'software update'. Sometimes it exhibited an error in the installation, sometimes not. I have since had to restore this system back to 10.4.4. (the combo installer for 10.4.5 kept erroring out, but it was previously running on 10.4.5 which was originally updated via 'software update')

The second one (dual 450Mhz G4) it has been progressivly killing of functions like reading inserted CDs, crashing iTunes, general system slowdown. I will have to try and go back to 10.4.5 on this one.

I'm not game to try and update on my primary system (dual 1.25GHz G4 Mirror Door). It is sitting comfortably on 10.4.5 and thats where it's gonna stay.
  11. spellflower macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005

I haven't gotten around to installing 10.4.6, and now you're scaring me! Should I leave well enough alone? Eventually, I will need to update though, right? Are the people having problems just the statistical anomalies which are inevitable with so many people using Macs? Or is this a real problem?
  12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I'm a doctor, not a computer scientist!

Everybody need to have a hard disk recovery utility within reach, one that goes where fsck and Disk Utility don't. My chosen poison is Disk Warrior. It's saved my butt, that's for sure.
  13. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    From reading the boards here it would seem that 10.4.6 at least has a higher incidence of these occurances than other updates from Apple recently. That said I have flawlessly upgraded 4 different Macs (the ones in my sig) to 10.4.6 with no issues.