Another 15" PB Delay!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MyPB&Me, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. MyPB&Me macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2003
    #1
    I bought a 1.25ghz 15" pb from my school computer store on october 20th and it had an estimate time of arrival around Nov. 10th. Now the school just emailed me and said the "15 lcd is on backorder and apple had pushed the arrival date to December 1st. This ridiculous, if I had purchased Thinkpad, I would've had in 5 days. I love apple and this will be my first mac, but I can't believe they think they can treat people like this and still gain more share of the pc market. I was going to switch to the 12" pb but if i end up not liking it as much I am just gonna egret for the next 3 years. I know other people have had problems and no one wants to hear me bitch and moan, but I can't believe it take a month and a half to get a laptop.
     
  2. isd_glory macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #2
    Yeah. I know the feeling. My order went out on 10/17, and that time, the estimate was 5-7 days. Initially it had a shipping date of around 10/25. After calling customer support a few times as to why it hadnt shipped yet, I was told a part was backordered. Presumably it could be related to the screen issues, but who knows.
    Although, it doesnt explain why those who sent their powerbook in for a screen repair have had such a quick turnaround. Hopefully all the repairs haven't been putting too much of a dent in the supply pool. But yeah, its getting a little frustrating. I've been without a computer since early october when my 800 mhz iBook died. It kinda makes college a little inconvenient.
     
  3. MyPB&Me thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2003
    #3
    Good to see I am not on this boat alone. How did your ibook die? it couldn't have been that old.
     
  4. isd_glory macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #4
    I had three logic board replacements and was about to need a fourth within a year from when I bought it. A wire that ran through the hinge would occasionally wear through as the laptop was opened and closed. Subsiquently, a short would then occur and toast the motherboard. Apple finally agreed to authorize a replacement, but I asked what the other options were. I found out that they allow paid upgrades to change models, so I sent in my iBook and a cashier's check to get a powerbook as a replacement. Last I checked the order is still open.

    Its a little frustrating, but I guess I'll just have to manage.:rolleyes:
     
  5. pibble macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, TX, Earf
    #5
    Re: Another 15" PB Delay!

    Hey there. I don't have an inside story or anything, but I understand there have been some quality issues with the 15" PB screens recently. If the problem is serious enough, I imagine they have stopped all current shipments so they can ship everyone good units.

    I totally know the feeling of frustration when a major purchase like this is suddenly unavailable. But I think I'd rather have the fixed version. (I'm thinking of ordering the 15" Alu PB soon myself, but will probably wait till January or February...)

    cheers!
     
  6. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2003
    #6
    Apple only lists 10-15 shipping on the powerbook 15" for both models (online apple education store). It coudl be your school being retarded, but it's probalby also apple's fault too.
     
  7. Prabz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2003
    Location:
    Meri PHILLY meri jaan!
    #7
    EXACTLY!
    That's what I read today---so I cancelled:eek: my order.

    Why, u ask?
    Coz I don't want my PB "in 10-15 days">>>I want to receive it much laterrr:p... perhaps on Xmas Day, and be *pleasantly surprised* u see!:D <grins>

    um..But now I'm wondering if I should just go right ahead and place my order next week? ...since I figure, owing to this month-long delay in shipment, I should get my present right-on-time;)


    yea?:confused:
     
  8. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 30, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #8
    I do love my 15" and would say its worth the wait... but now the refurbished 17" Rev A is only $2199.. that is a deal.. and I don't think you will have to wait as long.

    Sorry.. a little off topic..
     
  9. pibble macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2003
    Location:
    Austin, TX, Earf
    #9
    The 17" PB is just too darn wide for me. (Though it is respectably thin and light.) I just don't see myself lugging that all over the place. I'll stick to the 15" PB. I just hope they bump the speed up a little by February...
     
  10. Golem macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2003
    Location:
    Sydney,Australia
    #10
    Well I am up near the 7 week mark now and was told probably not before Xmas. I suspect I will cave in soon and go for the 17'' I dislike the size as its really to big for carry on luggage but I can get 1 right now.
     
  11. isd_glory macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #11
    Do you have any custom parts that you suspect are holding your order back? I know that my holdup is likely due to the lack of 5400 rpm drives. Still, I'm a little annoyed. At the time of order, I was quoted 5-7 days, and it's now a few weeks later and I have no new information on when I'm going to be seeing it.

    Well, the only positive aspect of this was that I took my complaint up with customer support and I got them to expedite the order. So, whenever (if) it ships, it'll be sent overnight express at no extra cost.
     
  12. leet1 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2003
  13. isd_glory macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #13
    Nope. The powerbooks ship with a 4200 rpm drive. The 5400 drives are only a BTO option, and it appears that Apple is completely out of them. If you try ordering a standard powerbook, the ship time is 10-15 days. Adding on the 5400 drive kicks it up to 4-6 weeks.
     
  14. MikeR macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2003
    #14
    Two Months from order Date PB 15"

    Yes same troubles. Ordered my 15" BTO with a 5400 drive and maxed mem on 10/24. The whole time it said ship on 11/7. The day after it changed to 12/24. Can you belive it? :mad:

    It had beter come with 10.3, new screen and a lid that lays flat!!

    My company buys alot of macs on my recomendations, this sure makes for a difficult case as we are the minority amungst 90,000 Pecees...:(
     
  15. vashim66 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2003
    #15
    pb order still on track

    I ordered my non-bto 1.25ghz 15 inch powerbook on nov 5th and its still on for on or before nov 28th. I was quoted 10-15 business days for delivery, which is about right.

    I left it with the 4200rpm drive since the 5400 made the delivery a 5-7 WEEK delay for shipment. They are probably having issues with getting enough of those drives in. I might go for a 7200 rpm drive anyway.

    I'm just hoping they don't change my ship date once the 28th rolls around.
     
  16. isd_glory macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2003
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #16
    I was just on the phone with a customer support rep. He suspects that this is simply an issue of supply vs. demand. 5400 rpm drive or not, there just aren't enough parts to go around. Although he didn't say anything about it I bet much of the holdup is in response to availibility of new LCDs (spot free).

    So, has anyone that ordered a powerbook in the last two weeks or so actually recieved theirs yet? Just wondering...
     
  17. Lurker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2003
    #17
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45816

    I eventually cancelled my pre-order after waiting since 27/09 for my 15" Pb.

    I walked into the Apple store on Michigan in Chicago this past weekend and bought the 17". I was a bit surprised at the replies when I spoke with two sales people and asked them about the 15" LCD problems and delays. And my concern about purchasing the 15" Pb. Both said they were not 'aware' of any problems with the 15" Pb. ? And had not heard of any 15" Pb returns made in the store.

    This lack of knowledge expressed by the two sale people on the 15" issues prompted me eventually go for the 17"

    (New to Mac. so I'm still getting use to it)

    Love the design although the 17" is a tad big to lug around. However, with the $299 fee charged for re-stocking by Apple , I guess I will be keeping the 17".

    :)
     
  18. MyPB&Me thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2003
    #18
    I decided as a student that mostly writes papers and listens to music that I would be better off with the 12" anyway, so I cancelled my 15" order. It is better in the end because the portability and extra battery life will be enough alone. Plus this enabled me to upgrade to a superdrive, airport extreme and an 80 gig hard drive. It might not be the biggest pb but it will be the top of the line 12" for sure.
     
  19. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

    MoparShaha

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #19
    I ordered my 12" PB on 11/04, with an estimated ship date of 11/10. Come the 10th, I get an email saying "due to unforseen circumstances" my order will now ship by the 26th. I'm going insane waiting! I BTO with the 80gig drive and AE. Anyone else experience similiar delays with their 12" PB?
     
  20. ogatasan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2003
    #20
    nobody seems to know whats exactly happening??

    i ordered the 15" combo powerbook 3 weeks ago at my local dealer in austria and he said he still doesnt know when its gonna arrive. he did not know if apple stopped delivery since more problems occured. (by the way he said 1 out of 10 sold showed white spots after 2-3 weeks). how long did you have to wait for it?

    the german apple store announced 2-3 weeks "production period"
     
  21. Foxer macrumors 65816

    Foxer

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #21
    The odd thing is, and I've made it a point to asked this at several Apple Stores over the past few weeks (and the local CompUSA). All of them have both models in stock.
     

Share This Page